AR OPTICS - Let's SEE Them! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 PM

AR OPTICS - Let's SEE Them!

Provide some insight - What works best for you in certain scenarios (i.e. hunting, SD, target long/short range shooting). Does your preference in optics change for different calibers?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:37 PM

My Aimpoint CompM2 4 MOA red dot on LaRue Tactical cantilever quick disconnect LT129 high mount on the top carbine. EOTech 551 compact red dot (discontinued model) on LaRue Tactical quick disconnect LT110 mount on the bottom carbine. I also have a magnifier with flip to the side and quick disconnect mount for my Aimpoint but I only seldom use it between 100 to 300 yd (no magnifier picture).

This is my Nikon 3-9X40mm BDC hunting scope 1" tube mounted on LaRue Tactical quick disconnect LT104 SPR/ M4 30mm ring scope mount with 30mm to 1" spacer shim.

My primary home defense optic is my Aimpoint because of its long battery life and it is always on all the time, my backup red dot is my EOTech mostly in the off position with its short battery life I always carry spare batteries inside my grip storage, when I turn it on and the red reticle blinks time to change the batteries.

Both these red dot sights are mounted on a lower 1/3 co-witness meaning that I could see the iron sights through my optics at the lower one third of the optic field of view.

My Nikon hunting scope I use no further than 300 yd because I only have a 16" barrel, the bullet drops too much for my liking at 400 to 600 yd.

I also have a Kahles scope 3.5-12X52 30mm tube but I have no picture of it, I mainly use it to test the accuracy of my different ammo loads at mainly 100 yd and then I verify it at 200 yd.
Colt AR-15 carbine X4, Colt MT6601 with USGI M16A2 Colt upper half 20" rifle, RRA A4 9mm 16" carbine, Steyr AUG A1 16" carbine, IMI Galil AR 16" carbine, PolyTech AKS-762 X3, Chinese SKS and USGI DCM M1 Garand, Colt 1911 Gov't Model X3, Colt Officers Lightweight, HK USP full, Sig P220 .45, Sig P226 9mm & Glock 19
NRA Life Member since 1970 * AR-15 owner since 1971
Old 01-20-2014, 09:47 PM

I have used an Aimpoint Pro with a LaRue mount on my AR carbine since they came out. The 2MOA dot is just right. I don't feel the need for anything else.

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Mine has an EOTech 512. Works great along with the Magpul backup sight (BUS), but if I were buying all over again I'd possibly go with an Aimpoint PRO instead. I'm still on the original set of batteries, but the buttons are a pain in the rear as I've got to push on them hard enough to turn it on or off, not an easy thing to do with the BUS in the way.

Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Perdido View Post
I have used an Aimpoint Pro with a LaRue mount on my AR carbine since they came out. The 2MOA dot is just right. I don't feel the need for anything else.
Oooops, forgot the pic…

Colt 6920 with a Colt 14.5 inch barrel, pinned extended flashhider to make 16". The Aimpoint cowitnessess in the lower 1/3 with the LMT rear sight.

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association

Last edited by EL Perdido; 01-21-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:27 PM

I have some decent glass on a couple of mine.

Here I have a Smith and Wesson performance center 20" heavy barreled gun with a Schmidt and Bender 3-12X50 illuminated reticule scope on it. I have actually been able to hit a few chicken eggs at 500 yards with it. (missed many many more). Additionally I have a Noveske Rogue hunter with a Leupold VX6, 1-6 illuminated reticule scope on. This is my current "Go To gun" for about anything requiring the attention of a rifle around my modest spread. I may have kind of screwed up the picture when I edited. Many pardons.
Attached Thumbnails
ARoptics 001.JPG  

Last edited by USMM guy; 01-21-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:15 PM

Aimpoint PRO on a CMMG, dressed up in Magpul duds.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140121_171342_140.jpg   IMG_20131101_152943_513.jpg  
3.)Hearing the lamentations of their women.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 PM

I run an Leitz Elcan and a green laser on my Eagle Arms Spirit. Like it, especially in low light.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 PM

These are the best things in life for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester122 View Post
Aimpoint PRO on a CMMG, dressed up in Magpul duds.
You must be having a really rewarding life.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 PM

Not really. Just a Robert E. Howard fan with a commercial grade rifle.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:56 PM

Did someone actually not see Conan the barbarian? What gives?

Some lovely and expensive optics here.

I'm here to represent the el cheapo division.

This is what I got on mine :
https://forums.1911forum.com/showpost...&postcount=105
Old 01-22-2014, 02:51 PM

The books were better, but yea.

I was thinking about the Sightmark for a rim fire upper. Using a conversion bolt makes my sights pretty useless at range.

Last edited by Jester122; 01-22-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester122 View Post
The books were better, but yea.
Yes, they are better but that goes for most movies and books...I just think of them as two different entities...and was wondering why USMM hadn't heard the line before.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM

I run an Eagle Eye tactical 2-6 that illuminates in red, green or blue. That’s the only sight of any kind I have on my Stag Model 3 and I love it that way for now. I may get an EOTech or clone at some point, and may add regular sights, but so far the 2-6 has been perfect.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:50 PM

Lwrc m6a2 Eotech hhs optics. Eotech Xps 3-2. G33 magnifier
Magpul str stock, LaRue tactical apeg grip and vertical. Rail skin. Setup is a little heavier, but it's an absolute hog slayer. I love going from 25 to 100 yards from a flip of the magnifier.
Attached Thumbnails
1384371242346.jpg   IMG_6117.jpg  

Last edited by Josias; 01-23-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 PM

My Bushmaster has a 5X Burris AR536 with a Burris Fast Fire III on top of it for close range.

NRA
NAHC
RMEF
Old 01-23-2014, 10:29 PM

I have a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3x9x40 with Mil Dot recticle on my Palmetto State Armory/USM4 mutt. Very nice glass for an economy scope. I have an Aimpoint PRO on my Colt LE6920.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1489.JPG   IMG_1495.JPG  
Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 PM

My son loves Trijicon 4 X and an RMR on top, nice setup.

Sorry couldn't get the picture link to work.

NRA
NAHC
RMEF

Last edited by Revan; 01-23-2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: picture did not work
Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Mine has an EOTech 512. Works great along with the Magpul backup sight (BUS), but if I were buying all over again I'd possibly go with an Aimpoint PRO instead. I'm still on the original set of batteries, but the buttons are a pain in the rear as I've got to push on them hard enough to turn it on or off, not an easy thing to do with the BUS in the way.

dsk,

I love this picture of your Colt. Fine rifle and great photography BTW. In fact, I put it on my computers for my backgrounds. I have the same exact rifle and am fixing to put a Aimpoint Pro on it.

Sincerely,

PastorDW
Old 01-26-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASTORDW View Post
dsk,

I love this picture of your Colt. Fine rifle and great photography BTW. In fact, I put it on my computers for my backgrounds. I have the same exact rifle and am fixing to put a Aimpoint Pro on it.

Sincerely,

PastorDW
Why do you prefer the Aimpoint over the EOTech?

C. S. Lewis
Old 01-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtx View Post
Why do you prefer the Aimpoint over the EOTech?
Not answering for anyone else, just my experience and opinion.....

Aimpoints have a better track record overall. They had a bad history of just shutting down or the battery box failing. The new EXPS line is supposed to be pretty good and as soon as I find someone to let me borrow one for a few weeks, I'm going to spend some time on one again.

But there are still some drawbacks. A big one for me is the auto shut off and relatively poor battery life. For home defense, law enforcement, etc, the Aimpoint's battery life of a few years while constantly on can be a nice benefit. Having to hit a couple buttons when you expected the EoTech to be on sounds like a small thing, but I'd rather not fool with it if I don't have too.

Also, Aimpoints can generally take a harder beating and still retain zero and continue working. Daniel Defense torture test also puts the Aimpoint to the test and it does pretty well.

I'm really hoping they've come around with the EXPS 3. That seems to be their best optic and is the replacement for the EoTech 552 in the SOPMOD program. I wouldn't mind the buttons to turn it on if it wasn't a 4 or 8 hour auto shutoff.
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~
Old 01-27-2014, 11:04 AM

I have both but prefer the EOTech for my purposes. My ability to acquire quickly during IDPA matches is one reason. If it goes out, my flip-up iron sights can be used with the EOTech still in place. I carry a couple extra batteries in my stock.

The Aimpoint is arguably more robust, smaller, lighter, and "on" all the time but I do find I can keep track of my potential targets better when moving using the EOTech.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGLars View Post
I have both but prefer the EOTech for my purposes. My ability to acquire quickly during IDPA matches is one reason. If it goes out, my flip-up iron sights can be used with the EOTech still in place. I carry a couple extra batteries in my stock.

The Aimpoint is arguably more robust, smaller, lighter, and "on" all the time but I do find I can keep track of my potential targets better when moving using the EOTech.
I hear a number of guys saying that, but they stick to Aimpoint due to reliability. This is why I want to give the EXPS 3 a good try. I won't be getting rid of my Aimpoint anytime soon, but I'd really like the EoTech to work for me.

The auto shutoff is not a deal breaker for me. I don't like it, but for a work rifle, you can turn it on at the beginning of a shift and turn it off then back on at a mid workday break just to be safe.

Hopefully I'll get my hands on one soon to ring it out and see if it's going to work for me or not.
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~
Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 PM

Just curious for those of you that run an optic with co-witnessed BUIS, ever run into a fogging problem when you transition from outdoors (cold) to indoors (warm)?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MoreChains View Post
Just curious for those of you that run an optic with co-witnessed BUIS, ever run into a fogging problem when you transition from outdoors (cold) to indoors (warm)?
Not personally. I've tried to make it happen and never had an issue.
~Paul Howe~