1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 11:09 AM

Toledo Gun Buyback Nets Nearly 200 guns

http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/ohio/po...early-200-guns

Dammit, Ohio, I thought we were better than this.

Colt 45: The Single Action Army, the M1911, and a liquor
Quote:
Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
Either way, if someone needs to get/be wasted, there's a Colt 45 for the job!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Trade a pistol for a $50 voucher for what??????

We need to know what organization funded this buy-back. Someone pony'd up $10,000.

NRA Life Member, Washington Arms Collectors Member, TR&RC Member, GOA Member, IDPA A457315, USPSA A91246. USPSA CRO
Old 06-10-2013, 11:28 AM

Just in case we ever have a buy back in my area, I put some animal blood on an old shotgun that's unsafe to use. I'll wear latex gloves when I hand it over. I'll bet the look on thier faces will be priceless.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
All guns surrendered are checked through identification stamps to determine if they may have been stolen and then destroyed
This is what I hate almost above all else in these gun buy backs.

So Grandma turns in her late husbands take home Sturmgewehr 44 and you want to destroy that piece of history?!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:31 AM

It's kind of funny. 200 guns vs how many new ones during that same time period?

Not only that, these "no questions asked" programs sound to me like illegal gun trafficking. If you buy a gun with no questions asked, how do their insure they're not engaging in an illegal sale, or in the least, receiving stolen goods?? If they're checking them, how can they not ask questions or let someone go who they know just sold them a stolen gun? And if they do, how is that no-questions asked and will they really get guns off the streets that could or are in the hands of criminals?

Inquiring minds want to know, what they hell are they thinking they're accomplishing?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-10-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
Inquiring minds want to know, what they hell are they thinking they're accomplishing?
We all know that 'FEELING' that they're fixing the problem is the sole reason for gun buy backs.

'Thinking' or actually 'accomplishing' has nothing to do with it.

NRA Life Member, Washington Arms Collectors Member, TR&RC Member, GOA Member, IDPA A457315, USPSA A91246. USPSA CRO
Old 06-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybris View Post
This is what I hate almost above all else in these gun buy backs.So Grandma turns in her late husbands take home Sturmgewehr 44 and you want to destroy that piece of history?!
Sad thing is.....

Bubbasmiths do this to perfectly good firearms daily.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Administrator

For their first buyback in ten years to net only 185 guns ain't much of a success story, if you ask me. There's always people out there who either bought a gun or inherited one who know nothing about it and wish to get rid of it. Yes it's a shame when somebody turns in their late uncle's 1911 but most of these guns are the pot-metal junk that's hardly worth $50 anyway. And they netted exactly ONE firearm that could be classified as an "assault weapon", big whoopdy-doo. Sounds to me like the news media is trying their hardest to make this sound like its something to celebrate.

I know how everyone feels, though. I drive past a metal recycling facility every day, and I swear some of the cars they have stacked up ready to crush are nicer than the POS I'm still driving!
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
All guns surrendered are checked through identification stamps to determine if they may have been stolen and then destroyed.
So the original legal owner of a stolen gun can't get it back, even though they should be able to determine who it was stolen from. If it was reported stolen the original owner can be identified. Is the original owner even notified his stolen gun was found but will be/was destroyed? This is another serious flaw in the gun buyback game. Wouldn't it be an interesting lawsuit if the orignal owner of a stolen gun that was recovered and destroyed via a gun buyback sued the municipality that destroyed the gun?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wa Jim View Post
Trade a pistol for a $50 voucher for what??????

We need to know what organization funded this buy-back. Someone pony'd up $10,000.
That's an easy one... you did dear tax payer, you did
Old 06-10-2013, 12:36 PM

I wish that they would have one of those "buybacks" around here.

I have an old Argentine Mauser with a cracked reciever that I would like to get fifty bucks for.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:36 PM

"All guns surrendered are checked through identification stamps to determine if they may have been stolen and then destroyed."

Does not mention anything about returning stolen guns to the rightful owner, does it? So much for "property rights" under the 4th Amendment. They are only checking to see if it was stolen so they can clear a case of theft. Problem is, they are denying you your lawfully owned property. Imagine if they did this to your car, or any other property you had stolen from you. Imagine your BMW being stolen, and then turned in to police to receive a reward, and then your beautiful car, your prized possession, is taken to the junk yard and run thru "the crusher". "Sorry pal, we only accept them, we don't return them to he owner". Wouldn't that be great!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Pete View Post
"All guns surrendered are checked through identification stamps to determine if they may have been stolen and then destroyed."

Does not mention anything about returning stolen guns to the rightful owner, does it? So much for "property rights" under the 4th Amendment. They are only checking to see if it was stolen so they can clear a case of theft. Problem is, they are denying you your lawfully owned property. Imagine if they did this to your car, or any other property you had stolen from you. Imagine your BMW being stolen, and then turned in to police to receive a reward, and then your beautiful car, your prized possession, is taken to the junk yard and run thru "the crusher". "Sorry pal, we only accept them, we don't return them to he owner". Wouldn't that be great!!!
The "authorities" including the ATF go to great pains to talk about "possession," "transfer" etc. but rarely to never talk about ownership of firearms. It is creepy actually.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 PM

"Buyback." "Surrendered."

As others have stated, 185 guns in 10 years (less than 19 per year)... I imagine even hardcore liberals are yawning. With statistics like that, they can think about canceling any more of them for the next century.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCW1911 View Post
So the original legal owner of a stolen gun can't get it back, even though they should be able to determine who it was stolen from. If it was reported stolen the original owner can be identified. Is the original owner even notified his stolen gun was found but will be/was destroyed? This is another serious flaw in the gun buyback game. Wouldn't it be an interesting lawsuit if the orignal owner of a stolen gun that was recovered and destroyed via a gun buyback sued the municipality that destroyed the gun?
I suspect the author of that article mis-typed, and that it actually should have said "All guns surrendered are checked through identification stamps to determine if they may have been stolen or else destroyed". At least I hope so, because if not then the rightful owners of those weapons need to sue afterwards if they find out that their lawfully owned property was recovered but then destroyed.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:47 PM

According to friends up in Toledo, there were some folks like us in attendance, just outside the bounds of the event, offering $50 or more for guns in decent shape.

No prohibition against such private transactions among Ohio residents, and most all local ordinances relating to firearms are null and void because of statewide pre-emption.

So basically, a couple of Toledo police scowled at the people gathered outside with cash, but really couldn't say or do anything about it. No doubt other officers got a kick out of it.
"If you decide to carry a pistol, you will have to dress around it, not just try to fit it into your wardobe"---BillD, 03/06/07 @ 09:42 e.s.t.

MINO: 'Money Is No Object'. Feel free to steal that one, everybody!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:50 PM

I wonder how many of those are made up guns from gun stores... as in them taking misc actions/barrels/stocks and screwing/hammering them together to look like a gun from parts they don't need and selling them... I know of a few here that have done such things.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:54 PM

My question is can I as a private citizen hold a gun buy back program and just keep the guns.

Run ads in the news paper for a week, give $50 for their guns and then go on my way. Might be a good way to get a few old guns with great history for not a lot of money
Old 06-11-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM View Post
My question is can I as a private citizen hold a gun buy back program and just keep the guns.

Run ads in the news paper for a week, give $50 for their guns and then go on my way. Might be a good way to get a few old guns with great history for not a lot of money
If you're prepared to but a bunch of crap and have guys like us standing not far away buying all the good stuff, sure.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Need more Gun buybacks in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I have an old Argentine Mauser with a cracked reciever that I would like to get fifty bucks for.
We had a buyback here in the Bradenton area and "Billy Bob" my neighbor turned in his grandpas old rusted shotgun. It had been sitting in the screened porch for years because it was worn out. He purchased a new Shotgun using the reward money to pay some of the cost.
NRA-USAF (SAC) Vietnam era Vet, Kimber Custom Defender II-Girsan 1911.45 (Hard Chrome)Franchi I-12 Diamond Semi-Auto engraved Shotgun, Mauser 8 MM Sport rifle, High Standard .22 Revolver,.22 Rifle, 20 Gage Shotgun, Phoenix HP.22 Pistol, Ruger SR22 Pistol.