Extreme Service firing pin stop - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > > >

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM

Extreme Service firing pin stop

Here's a multi-view picture of my new Extreme Service firing pin stop. It's CNC'd from tool steel, hardened to spec, and made .482" wide so it can be fitted to your slide and extractor. It has a 3/64" radius machined on the bottom rear corner and a 3 degree angle at the top rear face, both of which act to take away mechanical advantage from the slide when it's cocking the hammer, by moving the contact point to the bottom of the hammer face. This will retard the initial movement of the slide, slowing it's speed a little. This will allow short length 1911s to has less imbalance between the slide's speed and the magazine spring's force on the last couple of rounds, reducing the bolt over base malfunction caused by the slide outrunning the magazine spring. It also softens the felt recoil even on full size 1911s. This first run is configured for .45 cal Series '70 Gov't Models in carbon steel. All popular configurations will be run shortly. So whaddya think?

Last edited by John Harrison; 04-13-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:23 AM

They look pretty. Looking forward to gutting my TRP one day and having it filled with your parts. Does your slide stop have the notch to ease reassembly? If not its nothing a triangle file can't solve.
"Not to be unkind, but signature lines loaded with inventory lists tend to strike me as some kind a plea for validation -- and an indicator that the member in question is probably chasing his tail to a certain degree." -AC
Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 AM

John... you have got to quit coming out with great new stuff. Between you and George Smith... I'm going broke.
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harrison View Post
This will allow short length 1911s to has less imbalance between the slide's speed and the magazine spring's force on the last couple of rounds, reducing the bolt over base malfunction caused by the slide outrunning the magazine spring.
Mr Harrison, I'm learning this stuff so please help me understand this statement better. You seem to imply that the reduced recoil speed of the slide has a corrisponding reduced return to battery speed of the slide. At least thats how I interpreted it. I assume the reduced return speed of the slide is why it helps overcome the "outrunning" the mag spring. Do I have it right so far? If so, why is it that the slide return speed is slowed down? Does it have to do with a rebounding action of some sort by the slide which is being reduced, with the reduced recoil speed of the slide?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:06 PM

So.... When can I get one?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Banned

or several?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBS View Post
Mr Harrison, I'm learning this stuff so please help me understand this statement better. You seem to imply that the reduced recoil speed of the slide has a corrisponding reduced return to battery speed of the slide. At least thats how I interpreted it. I assume the reduced return speed of the slide is why it helps overcome the "outrunning" the mag spring. Do I have it right so far? If so, why is it that the slide return speed is slowed down? Does it have to do with a rebounding action of some sort by the slide which is being reduced, with the reduced recoil speed of the slide?
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything about the forward speed of the slide.

A FPS configured to make it harder for the slide to come back and cock the hammer will slow the slide's rearward travel. A heavier than standard hammer spring in combination will help this as well and is really recommended for the slides 4" and shorter. If you slow down the rearward speed of the slide, the amount of time available for the magazine spring to lift the next round up will be increased, which will let that round get all the way to the top of the feed lips before the slide can come back forward again. What we're shooting for is to get the rearward slide speed on the really short guns to be closer to the rearward slide speed on the heavier Gov't Model so as to increase the time for the mag spring to work and lift the next round up to the feed lips. This is often times only a concern on the last round or two in the column because the mag spring force is much less as it extends and relaxes.

The forward closing speed is possibly reduced a just touch as well, but I doubt by much. The closing slide speed is primarily a function of the force of the recoil spring and I don't believe there is much of a rebound from the slide hitting the spring guide flange/frame stopping point.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverrideplik View Post
So.... When can I get one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog452 View Post
or several?
I haven't had a chance to get these first ones blued yet, but I'll be glad to sell them now if you want them in the white. I'll get them set up on my web store today. The will go for $26.95, but to get this party started I'm selling them for $22.95 on this first batch.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 PM

Ordered two of them. Can't wait to get them in. I have a Springfield Champion Operator that needs one. I normally use an EGW oversized FPS and do the same radius by hand. This would certainly save some time.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 AM

The first small batch of HD-205 FPS have sold out and the second batch is being blued. I should have them by the end of the week. The HD-206 FPS for the Commander/mid-caliber S-70 version will be next and hopefully not more than a week or two away.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM

What will be the difference between the 205 and 206? What tuning differences are you incorporating in the 206 for commander sized guns (or is it just for ejector clearance differences or something like that)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismartin View Post
What will be the difference between the 205 and 206? What tuning differences are you incorporating in the 206 for commander sized guns (or is it just for ejector clearance differences or something like that)
Chris - The short answer is ejector clearance. The .45 ACP Colt Commander and all of the mid calibers like 9mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W and 10mm have an ejector who's inboard side is located closer to the center of the slide by a good little bit. This requires that the corresponding corner of the FPS be cut away closer to the center to allow for the space taken up by the inboard side of the ejector. There are basically four configurations of FPS - the .45 Gov't Model S-70, the Commander/mid-cal S-70 and then each one again in S-80, which requires an additional cut on the lower right corner of the FPS to allow for room for the top S-80 lever to lift the S-80 plunger.

Then you get to do it all over again in stainless.

Footnote - All of the above is true and accurate where it pertains to Colt 1911s. When you get away from Colt and into other brands, you need to identify your ejector style, so you can be sure you order the right FPS. I'll put some pics up on my store to help with the ID.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:15 PM

Wow!

Awesome firing pin stop!
Much less fitting than the previous oversized firing pin stops (EGW)
The dropped right in to two different guns. I had to file a bit for ejector clearance on my Springfield Champion Operator (a 4" 1911 with an ejector that's more to the center of the cartridge, I suspect your HD-206 FPS for commander sized guns would have dropped right in). But other than that, thickness, overall width, extractor engagement were great.
Same story with my Kimber Super Match. Great width, length and extractor engagement. The Super Match has adjustable sights, so I had to work on the top of the FPS for the bomar-style sights, but other than that it was a drop in fit! Awesome. I was able to get both stops in my guns in less time that the EGW's take to get into just one gun.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:30 PM

Location: Planet Illinois- Where every politician's a potential inmate
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harrison View Post
Then you get to do it all over again in stainless.
Well, that answers my question, now just need to hear that you've got all versions available.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:31 PM

Will it fit a kimber tac pro ii? And will your fire pin work with it? I saw on your website you don't recommend it for series ii.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM

Within the next week to 10 days, I expect to have all 4 configurations of firing pin stops in both carbon steel and stainless steel. I'm working up a set of pics to refer you to for help in identifying which FPS you need for your gun.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Adminstrator

Want! But the store is down?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 PM

I don't know what's up with that. Maybe we need to give the hamster wheel a spin. Hopefully this will resolve itself shortly.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Maybe you need two hamsters?? I noticed the same thing earlier this week, but got my order placed.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 AM

High-speed hamsters might do it. It's running at a good speed right now.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:00 AM
1911 Aficionado

Very cool design features. How did you arrive at 3 degrees for the angle, and why does it stop just above the firing pin hole? That is, why not run it all the way to the bottom?
I suppose running the angle over the hole might require modifications to the firing pin to maintain normal protrusion, etc., and you avoid that my stopping the angle short of the hole?
I hand filed a FPS into a wedge, and did have to shorten the firing pin a bit, and so maybe I've answered by own question.
How long is "shortly"???
Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Very cool design features. How did you arrive at 3 degrees for the angle, and why does it stop just above the firing pin hole? That is, why not run it all the way to the bottom?
I suppose running the angle over the hole might require modifications to the firing pin to maintain normal protrusion, etc., and you avoid that my stopping the angle short of the hole?
I hand filed a FPS into a wedge, and did have to shorten the firing pin a bit, and so maybe I've answered by own question.
How long is "shortly"???
You did indeed answer your own question. You would get a greater effect from taking the angle all the way down, but you get into the length of the firing pin and whether or not it needs to be shortened. I considered having special firing pins made to allow this, but decided that I'd rather not make it needlessly complicated.

"Shortly" was by about 11PM EST last night.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Awesome part, John. I like installing the small-radius FPS in people's guns, dropping the recoil spring weight a couple/few pounds, installing a 23 lb mainspring, and watching them go "wow, my gun recoils less now and runs better than it did before!" For the extra $10, the mods you made save a lot of time for Joe-gunsmith at home.

"It's not a sewing machine. It's a rugged, bitch-slapping, war winning machine, and it's not taking prisoners." -- MGould
Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 AM

New product update - Firing pin stops in all 4 configurations in C/S & S/S will be in late this week or early next week.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 PM

Hi John:
Any update on when the series 80 and midsized firing pin stops will be posted on the website? It still only shows the series 70 in blue and ss, or at least thats all that comes up on my computer. Thanks.
Bob