Shooting after dark - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-27-2020, 12:28 AM

Shooting after dark

Hello fellow pistoleros, just wondering how many people get the chance to go shooting after dark.
I went shooting yesterday and didn't get out to my shooting area until the sun was almost starting to set.

I had an ar15 I was wanting to zero, and I had planned on shooting some silhouettes with my 45's. I decided to shoot the AR first, and when I got done I had to use a flashlight to shoot the pistol targets.
I didn't use a timer like I usually do, I was in kind of a casual mood. I was planning on just being smooth and consistent, but I found myself going as quickly as I could without missing too much. I kind of felt like the darkness made it seem more realistic.
Anyway I'll put up a few pics and you let me know . Patrick Pics seem too big.

CMMG AR-15

The two targets. Left target one shot COM, right target two shots COM, left target one shot to head.

1st target

2nd target

Last edited by Spinnerblade; 05-27-2020 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Pics
Old 05-27-2020, 12:57 AM

I used to be able to shoot after dark, but not IN the dark. My VIP membership at my gun club allowed 24 access to the private lanes via biometric security panel.

However, it was insanely expensive, and I wasnt shooting (or eating in the 5-star restaurant) enough to justify the expense.

P.S. May I recommend "Imageshack" for photo hosting.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:01 AM

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 09:14 AM

Very nice. Shooting at night is fun.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:43 AM

Hunting at night is pretty fun too. OP, Looks like you had a blast! Thanks for posting
Old 05-27-2020, 12:34 PM

Thanks guys.
The weather was great, I was out there till 10:30.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Hunting at night is pretty fun too. OP, Looks like you had a blast! Thanks for posting
I do most of my fishing after dark, and in the summer when I go shooting I usually stay 'til after dark. I've got plenty of flashlights and rechargeable batteries.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:19 AM

I after dark shoot only cap and ball guns to see that long flame. Only for fun
Old 05-28-2020, 10:20 AM

Years ago while I was working, we had night firing (first time). The Chief, a little Napoleon said that anyone failing better not come to work in the morning. (this was for Staff and Detectives). He wondered why half the people didn't show up. He had one of the Dep Chiefs call everyone to get them to come to work. Never had night firing for many, many years.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag357 View Post
I after dark shoot only cap and ball guns to see that long flame. Only for fun
That sounds like reason enough to get one.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byern View Post
Years ago while I was working, we had night firing (first time). Never had night firing for many, many years.
This surprises me, but I guess it shouldn't, I've read many times where officers only shoot their weapons during qualifications.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:46 PM
1911 Aficionado

My IDPA club used to have two or three night matches each Winter, but the "weather permitting" nature of it meant few people were willing to commit.
I enjoyed it a lot, as we'd set up a few scenarios, then shoot each one multiple times as it got darker, so we got low-light and no-light.
Indoors is the place for it, where light levels can be adjusted, weather doesn't intrude, etc.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

My range has night shoots once per month. The low light/no light shoot practice will tell what works and what doesn't as far as your equipment goes - the rest is up to you to find what works best for you. There are a LOT of folks that don't have the opportunity to get exposed to low/no light shooting, and they have to "guess" what will work for them (not the best scenario); I surely wish more ranges would provide instruction and guidance with availability to discover this condition for many folks. The largest portion of armed encounters occur in low/no light conditions, and knowing your equipment and how to use it effectively is a major factor.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Indoors is the place for it, where light levels can be adjusted, weather doesn't intrude, etc.
I wish I had an abandoned house, out in the middle of nowhere, to practice shooting silhouettes, night and day.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:50 PM

Never shoot after dark. Within the first 30 minutes after sunset, yes. Club rules.

From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 05-30-2020, 11:47 PM

I'm going camping next week, we shoot till 3am some nights under IR and WMLs

My range also allows me to have an entire bay to myself to practice in darkness on slow days if I want to, you can also always practice moving with the light at home without live fire
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 05-30-2020 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:25 AM

Cactus Combat Match League in N Phoenix, AZ has practice competitions every Thursday afternoon, which end between 9:00 and 10:00pm. The events are held at the Ben Avery shooting facility, which does have lights (better in some lanes than others). In the summer time in Phoenix it is a lot more pleasant to be outside after sunset, which in my opinion easily offsets the marginal lighting.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monadh View Post
Never shoot after dark. Within the first 30 minutes after sunset, yes. Club rules.
No club rules here! : )