1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-25-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
It absolutely can fire if the FPB is not working and the "sear" or striker surfaces are worn or messed with in any way. The partially cocked state is enough to fire most rounds
Again I must point out the Glock does not have a SEAR
Old 05-25-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyunker45 View Post
I don't have an answer, but I will say I am rather surprised and saddened that you insult thousands and thousands of shooters on the glock forums.
Because he was probably concerned he'd get information like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
The Glock striker at rest is partially tensioned, true, but even if that tension were were somehow suddenly released, the force available would be insufficient to ignite a typical centerfire primer.
See post #18

It is still extremely unlikely the gun could discharge on its' own since there are quite a few safety features that would have to fail for that to happen. On the other hand, Glock's are one of the easiest guns to user modify, and not all modifications are as safe as the stock Glock parts.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It absolutely can fire if the FPB is not working and the "sear" or striker surfaces are worn or messed with in any way. The partially cocked state is enough to fire most rounds
Absolutely won't, in a stock gun.

"FPB not working"..."Sear or striker surfaces... messed with in any way"...

C'mon. Saying a thing is "possible" is not the same as recording that it "has actually happened", and giving an example.

I know that no one here is going to be able to respond with anything more than "well yeah, it coulda happened".

If you can do better, please do.
Take the plunger out of a Glock and put a screwdriver between the slide and frame and twist to simulate worn parts at the "sear"/striker engagement surface. It will fire.

I'm tired of people who don't know how these things actually work from a safeties standpoint not understanding that if the FPB plunger for any reason is seized or not returning that any wear or shock will allow the striker to slip off the "sear" and fire. I literally owned a pre 6 part upgrade gen2 G19 that would fire and set off a primer if you tossed it sideways onto the ground. They can easily fire if the plunger is not working correctly
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRvs View Post
Quote:
Again I must point out the Glock does not have a SEAR
And you again are a typical glockfanboi who refuses to call a part what it is on every single gun, if you noticed that's why I'm saying "sear" every time since people like you will come screaming the cruciform is some magical different part even though it's functionally identical in the important terms we are taking about being releasing the damn striker

Last time we had a thread like this I literally made a video showing exactly how wrong most of your type are and exactly how a Glock actually works and why the plunger is so critical to prevent firing.

Go drop a VP9 and tell me what happens to the trigger, or a PPQ, it might surprise you in a big way when the striker slips off the "sear" and the FPB stops the striker but you have a dead trigger. I'll wait

The exact same thing can and does happen on glocks but it's simply more difficult due to the partial vs full tension striker but the same failure absolutely exists when parts are worn or messed with
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 05-25-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Take the plunger out of a Glock and put a screwdriver between the slide and frame and twist to simulate worn parts at the "sear"/striker engagement surface. It will fire.

I'm tired of people who don't know how these things actually work from a safeties standpoint not understanding that if the FPB plunger for any reason is seized or not returning that any wear or shock will allow the striker to slip off the "sear" and fire. I literally owned a pre 6 part upgrade gen2 G19 that would fire and set off a primer if you tossed it sideways onto the ground. They can easily fire if the plunger is not working correctly
Man, I didnít know that a half-cocked/half-tensioned Glock would have enough oomph to set off a primer if the firing pin were to slip by the firing pin safety. Thatís definitely scary.

I wonder how many shooters that pump tens of thousands of rounds through their Glocks didnít know about this tidbit?
Old 05-25-2020, 06:24 PM

Glock Problems don't matter to me anymore than Blimp Motor Problems do.

Never gonna own either of them.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:

As expected, your response describes an incredibly artificial set of conditions.

Removing the safety plunger in the slide is not what's in in view here.

Tossing a strangely-altered Glock onto a hard surface is not what's in view here.

The OP said his holstered, untouched Glock pistol "went off by itself".

Since you can't explain that, you're not addressing the issue.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:

As expected, your response describes an incredibly artificial set of conditions.

Removing the safety plunger in the slide is not what's in in view here.

Tossing a strangely-altered Glock onto a hard surface is not what's in view here.

The OP said his holstered, untouched Glock pistol "went off by itself".

Since you can't explain that, you're not addressing the issue.
If the plunger spring is weak and the channel is dirty the exact same thing happens, most owners/users of glocks do not service that part.

A well shot Glock wears out the surfaces to the point Glock themselves recommends those parts be changed on a schedule to prevent issues

I'm not tossing any strange glocks in, just what I have seen on police trade in guns
Old 05-25-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Quote:

Man, I didn’t know that a half-cocked/half-tensioned Glock would have enough oomph to set off a primer if the firing pin were to slip by the firing pin safety. That’s definitely scary.

I wonder how many shooters that pump tens of thousands of rounds through their Glocks didn’t know about this tidbit?
Look up the 6 part upgrade history from way back in gen2, it explains this very well

Most don't
Old 05-25-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
And you again are a typical glockfanboi who refuses to call a part what it is on every single gun, if you noticed that's why I'm saying "sear" every time since people like you will come screaming the cruciform is some magical different part even though it's functionally identical in the important terms we are taking about being releasing the damn striker

Last time we had a thread like this I literally made a video showing exactly how wrong most of your type are and exactly how a Glock actually works and why the plunger is so critical to prevent firing.

Go drop a VP9 and tell me what happens to the trigger, or a PPQ, it might surprise you in a big way when the striker slips off the "sear" and the FPB stops the striker but you have a dead trigger. I'll wait

The exact same thing can and does happen on glocks but it's simply more difficult due to the partial vs full tension striker but the same failure absolutely exists when parts are worn or messed with

STRIKER2237

First off I am not a fan boy and second you are completely wrong there is no crucible or sear in a Glock pistol. If you do not know what you are talking about maybe do some research on the subject first before spouting false hoods. Glock does not now or ever had a sear or a crucible or whatever w=else you are calling it. Here is a list of all Glock parts to help you understand no where do I see crucible or sear.

Tell you what call Glock and ask them to send you a sear or crucible and see what they have to say about it.

These are all the parts in a glock with their proper name and part number, so please stop telling people on this board that a Glock has a sear or crucible or some other such nonsense.

Glock 17 Gen3 Part Numbers

Slide Assembly
1. Slide (Standard)
2. Barrel (G3570)
3. Recoil Spring (G1533)
5. Firing Pin (G049)
6. Firing Pin Spacer Sleeve (G056)
7. Firing Pin Spring (G063)
8. Firing Pin Spring Cups (G070)
9. Firing Pin Safety w/ Spring (G77)
11. Extractor New Style w/ LCI (G1895)
12. Extractor Depressor Plunger (G112)
13. Extractor Depressor Plunger Spring (G33522)
14. Spring Loaded Bearing (G3439)
15. Slide Cover Plate (G133)
16. Rear Adjustable Sight (G5977)
16. Front Sight w/ Screw (G6956)
35. Firing Pin Channel Liner (G1148)

Magazine Assembly
Glock 17 Round Magazine

Magazine Components
30. Magazine Follower (G18123)
31. Magazine Spring (G33510)
32. Magazine Floor Plate (G3206)
32. Magazine Insert (G1693)
33. Magazine Tube (G91317)

Frame Assembly
17. G17 Frame (P80 | Non-FFL)
17. G17 Frame (Glock | FFL)
18. Magazine Catch Spring (G280)
19. Magazine Catch (G287)
20. Slide Lock Spring (G5446)
21. Slide Lock (G301)
22. Locking Block 3-Pin* (G1447)
23. Trigger Mechanism Housing w/ Ejector (G322)
24. Connector 5 lb.* (G343)
25. Trigger Spring* (G350)
26. Trigger w/ Trigger Bar (G357)
27. Slide Stop Lever w/ Spring (G2919)
28. Trigger Pin (G420)
29. Trigger Housing Pin (G427)
34. Locking Block Pin (G4368)

Alternative Parts
*Old Style Locking Block 2-Pin (G308)
*Connector 8 lb.* (G735)
*Trigger Spring NY-1 (G7405)

*Glock 34 Barrel (G7186)
*Glock 34 Slide

*Glock 17L Barrel (G3633)
*Glock 17L Slide (N/A)

Last edited by ToddRvs; 05-25-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:

STRIKER2237

First off I am not a fan boy and second you are completely wrong there is no crucible or sear in a Glock pistol. If you do not know what you are talking about maybe do some research on the subject first before spouting false hoods. Glock does not now or ever had a sear or a crucible or whatever w=else you are calling it. Here is a list of all Glock parts to help you understand no where do I see crucible or sear.

Tell you what call Glock and ask them to send you a sear or crucible and see what they have to say about it.

These are all the parts in a glock with their proper name and part number, so please stop telling people on this board that a Glock has a sear or crucible or some other such nonsense.

Slide Assembly
1. Slide (Standard)
2. Barrel (G3570)
3. Recoil Spring (G1533)
5. Firing Pin (G049)

Magazine Assembly
Glock 17 Round Magazine

Magazine Components

Frame Assembly
21. Slide Lock (G301)
28. Trigger Pin (G420)

Alternative Parts
*Connector 8 lb.* (G735)

*Glock 34 Barrel (G7186)
*Glock 34 Slide

*Glock 17L Slide (N/A)
Your semantics will get you nowhere, my point stands and your pointless argument that I'm not using the correct terms for a part that across the entire rest of the industry is a well understood term for the part that releases the ignition source is a fallacy.

Call it a trigger linkage/assembly whatever I don't care what you want to label it the mode of failure I described DOES effect the Glock design in the manner I said it can and does no matter how much to try to deflect that reality by attacking my terminology.

It can fail, I personally owned one that failed exactly like that, I have seen dozens of raced out G34s go full auto/2-6 round bursts the first time out when people are tuning them for 3 gun.

Last edited by Striker2237; 05-25-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:33 PM

Please don't do anything foolish, like destroy the gun. Glock has possibly the best customer service, of any gun mfg, they will make the gun right, or you'll get a new one.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:47 PM

I believe the OP has a big smile on his face if he's not rolling on the floor laughing as he's generated 4 pages with BS story. Unless he can show us photos of the innards of his Glock, assuming he has one, he is a troll.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 05-26-2020, 01:32 AM

Quote:

I'm tired of people who don't know how these things actually work from a safeties standpoint not understanding that if the FPB plunger for aniy reason is seized or not returning that any wear or shock will allow the striker to slip off the "sear" and fire. I literally owned a pre 6 part upgrade gen2 G19 that would fire and set off a primer if you tossed it sideways onto the ground. They can easily fire if the plunger is not working correctly
LOL...sticking a screwdriver, and twisting in between the slide and frame, after removing the firing pin plunger, how does this ďsimulate worn partsĒ lol??

Anyway this thread has terrified me, I have sold all of my glocks
Old 05-26-2020, 07:48 AM

I for one do not believe a gun just sitting there will go off by itself.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/fr...tance.1830988/
Old 05-26-2020, 08:03 AM

According to WikipediA the definition of a Sear (firearm) is:

In a firearm, the sear is the part of the trigger mechanism that holds the hammer, striker, or bolt back until the correct amount of pressure has been applied to the trigger, at which point the hammer, striker, or bolt is released to discharge the weapon. The sear may be a separate part or can be a surface incorporated into the trigger.

The raised back portion of the Trigger Bar is the “cruciform." It is that part of the trigger bar that engages the surface of the striker and releases it when the trigger is pulled rearward. Hence, by definition this part of the trigger bar, cruciform, is a sear.

The trigger bar is located within the frame and the striker is located in the slide. Depending upon the tolerances between the slide and frame, and the amount of engagement between the striker surface and cruciform/sear, raising the frame with a screwdriver could disengage the two causing the striker to move forward if the firing pin safety plunger was not functioning properly. This should never happen unless parts have been altered or extreme wear has occurred.

I have no way of knowing if the gun in question actually discharged on its own, but as I stated in my previous post it would require more than one mechanical failure. However, if it were my gun I would not be asking this forum or any other what to do. I would either return it to the factor or a certified Glock armorer for inspection and repair or turn it into my local law enforcement agency to be destroyed. Also as a side note, I personally would never leave a loaded gun exposed and within reach of where I am sleeping.

Last edited by Xhair; 05-26-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:49 AM

Although he hasn't posted here since starting the thread I sent him a PM on Sunday and got a reply. The main gist of his reply was he was going to have a gunsmith check it out and if nothing conclusive, send it to Glock. Me personally I'd send it to Glock first.

Could it happen? Did it happen? Why did it happen? I don't know the answers' hopefully if the gun goes to Glock and back and the OP posts the results then we'll know.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret View Post
Although he hasn't posted here since starting the thread I sent him a PM on Sunday and got a reply. The main gist of his reply was he was going to have a gunsmith check it out and if nothing conclusive, send it to Glock. Me personally I'd send it to Glock first.

Could it happen? Did it happen? Why did it happen? I don't know the answers' hopefully if the gun goes to Glock and back and the OP posts the results then we'll know.
Did you happen to glean any of the other details of the incident? Like did the gun stay in the same place after it fired and does anyone in the house sleepwalk? I think there's more to this story than we've been told.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
STRIKER2237

Slide Assembly
1. Slide (Standard)
2. Barrel (G3570)
3. Recoil Spring (G1533)
5. Firing Pin (G049)

Magazine Assembly
Glock 17 Round Magazine

Magazine Components

Frame Assembly
21. Slide Lock (G301)
28. Trigger Pin (G420)

Alternative Parts
*Connector 8 lb.* (G735)

*Glock 34 Barrel (G7186)
*Glock 34 Slide

*Glock 17L Slide (N/A)
I don't have a dog in your fight with Striker2237, but this post of yours is weak sauce.

There are factory nomenclatures and then there are industry-accepted nomenclature.

I'll bet that if you were to look up a Colt LE6920 exploded diagram and parts list, there would be no such animals a "castle nut" or "buffer tube". Guess what? AR gun smiths and AR enthusiasts know exactly what these items are.

That doohickey in the Glock's trigger mechanism looks like a cross, hence the moniker "cruciform" was adopted.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:12 PM

Obviously the OP's Glock is not in standard condition, and fired, I believe him. If someone altered or wear altered it I do not know, but at a minimum it is way out of spec. An explanation could simply be that someone, or somehow the pre-travel was greatly reduced . This would put the trigger bar further back, which would disable the firing pin block, and it would also tension the striker while bringing it ever closer to slipping off the cruciform.

I believe in hand, a knowledgeable Glock individual, can examine and explain it.

LOG

Old 05-26-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameeson View Post
Quote:

I'm tired of people who don't know how these things actually work from a safeties standpoint not understanding that if the FPB plunger for aniy reason is seized or not returning that any wear or shock will allow the striker to slip off the "sear" and fire. I literally owned a pre 6 part upgrade gen2 G19 that would fire and set off a primer if you tossed it sideways onto the ground. They can easily fire if the plunger is not working correctly
LOL...sticking a screwdriver, and twisting in between the slide and frame, after removing the firing pin plunger, how does this “simulate worn parts” lol??

Anyway this thread has terrified me, I have sold all of my glocks
Simulates a fall without having to toss the gun, again look up the 6 part upgrade and why it was done

Many people here have explained the same thing I did, read over it again and study a Glock slide and you will see why if the gun is worn it is possible. It is much easier for a Glock to drift into an unsafe condition mechanically than most think since it anything goes wrong with the FPB the inherent design of the striker system means that impact/wear/any changes/anything not being correct will allow it to fire. It's not like a hammer fired gun that more has to go wrong in for a shot to fire, look at the S80 system on a 1911 vs the Glock safe action and tell me what system would require more parts to fail to allow a shot. The S70 1911 or any non FPB hammer fired gun also requires more parts to fail/jam for this to happen as well.

Last edited by Striker2237; 05-26-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post

I believe in hand, a knowledgeable Glock individual, can examine and explain it.

LOG

I'd definitely be interested in that, since nothing approximating anything like a clear or detailed description of the pistol's innards was provided by the OP.

As it happens, I still have my two original, bought-NIB in 1989, generation 2 Glock 19s, both of which had the "six-part upgrade" as soon as it was offered way back when (black-coated parts replaced by silver-colored!).

It wasn't designated a "recall", and as far as I remember, there was no description provided as to why it was being recommended by Glock.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:46 PM

1911 question for Glock guys. Why post here.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:30 PM

Well, my G21 Gen 3 with factory trigger still sits on the top of my computer in a Bianchi UM84/92 holster fully loaded with one in the chamber. It's been that way for a long time other than trips to the range. I like the old widowmaker holster for this use because it keeps the trigger covered and the gun in place until I decide to actually remove the gun from the holster.

Somehow I'm not feeling compelled to change that. Or to stop carrying the G43 in a IWB (too much old man belly for appendix carry anyway) holster that I put on when I get dressed and take off getting undressed for bed.

I'm with everyone else. Parts were "tuned," or in some way messed up to allow overriding all the internal safeties, and how was the gun still in the exact location as before. Even in a holster there should have been enough recoil that the slide would have moved some. Was the case still in the chamber and the slide in battery? Even if the holster was such to have enough pressure on the slide to trap it or allow extremely little movement the muzzle blast should have moved, or at least spun the holster. No holster I've seen with a firearm in it lays perfectly flat on another flat surface.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 05-26-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Simulates a fall without having to toss the gun, again look up the 6 part upgrade and why it was done

Many people here have explained the same thing I did, read over it again and study a Glock slide and you will see why if the gun is worn it is possible. It is much easier for a Glock to drift into an unsafe condition mechanically than most think since it anything goes wrong with the FPB the inherent design of the striker system means that impact/wear/any changes/anything not being correct will allow it to fire. It's not like a hammer fired gun that more has to go wrong in for a shot to fire, look at the S80 system on a 1911 vs the Glock safe action and tell me what system would require more parts to fail to allow a shot. The S70 1911 or any non FPB hammer fired gun also requires more parts to fail/jam for this to happen as well.
Had no idea a worn glock could so readily fire if tossed on the ground, or with any reasonable wear or shock as you say. Only thing that comes up when I search is this strange SIG 320 model

But not doubting by prying the frame from slide to and tripping the firing pin off the trigger bar, with the the firing pin safety plunger disengaged, you got your gen2 to fire. I guess this simulates a drop from outer space?
Have you noticed any cases to show of where this happened...since 1991?
I will investigate more, there has got to be a lot of cases of this happening everyday with the millions and millions of glocks out there! I know one case just this week! But wait where did that guy go