1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-25-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelderbrother View Post

I'm asking this here because I doubt I'll get a straight answer on the Glock forums.

Many thanks in advance for your insights.
I don't have an answer, but I will say I am rather surprised and saddened that you insult thousands and thousands of shooters on the glock forums.

Do you, OP, think that a Glock owner only owns Glocks? Do you think the members of this 1911Forum only own 1911s?

This has to be the most ignorant, the most unsupported load of BS I have seen in a while on any forum.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:07 AM

This hard to believe that a Glock in good mechanical condition would fire without the trigger being pulled with the number of safeties that are built into it. For this to happen at least 2 or more of the systems would have to fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2RDitgCaD0
Old 05-25-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Not one post since the original !!! Something smells and it ain’t gunpowder ! It seems that IF the oe poster was truly concerned and not just trying to stir up the old 1911 guy’s he’d have been involved with the discussion, not just drop a load of cat-doo and nothing past that ! My .02
Does seem strange but, he posted yesterday afternoon and today is Memorial Day. Maybe he's just out with his family and hasn't checked the forum yet. He has been a member for 5 years with over 40 postings so, not likely he's trolling. I'd give it a bit more time before playing the BS card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 09:30 AM

I would contact glock for them to do a thorough check out. Shipping to them will probably not be on them. You can possibly find a local dealer/ffl to shipnig it to glock for 20.00 . Glock usually will rebuild/ go through the gun and fix for free. Including return shipping on them. They usually will replace all except the barrel, slide and frame. And return it in less than 2 weeks. If you still dont want it when you get it back sell it. Why ruin a perfectly good band saw?
Old 05-25-2020, 09:42 AM

No way the Glock is in the same position you left it had it fired, recoil and would have moved it and I doubt it would have still been on the table. And what gun owner resorts to cutting up their gun as the first course of action and not contacting the factory to find out what went wrong. This whole story smells or there is more we are not being told.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
What was the status of the weapon when it was given to you by the "friend?" Was this a new gun? Because my bet is that someone "Bubba'd" it. Talk to the friend before you talk to Glock and get a clear understanding of its history.
This had better be the answer! If this “thing” did just blow by itself, in factory condition, the term Glock Leg will be revised. And some people are picking on the 320 for going off when it’s dropped from 50 feet onto concrete!
Old 05-25-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
Whats that smell........
Butthead!

Last edited by Nitro.45; 05-25-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDooglez View Post
No way the Glock is in the same position you left it had it fired, recoil and would have moved it and I doubt it would have still been on the table. And what gun owner resorts to cutting up their gun as the first course of action and not contacting the factory to find out what went wrong. This whole story smells or there is more we are not being told.
The wife never wanted him to play with guns in the first place! And I agree, the gun would go flying.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:15 AM

My bed side gun requires 2 steps to go into service. To many possible things to go wrong . Getting past alarms ,dogs .
Old 05-25-2020, 10:20 AM

In the 80's my buddy talked his folks into buying him a new Subaru Justy from the dealership I worked for. It was the very first Justy sold in San Diego, to my knowledge.

He immediately took it autocrossing (won a trophy) but he had used the emergency brake as a Cutting Brake in many sections. After practicing that technique in the K Mart parking lot at night.

This damaged the mechanism. So he did what many teens would do: He brought it in for warranty work without disclosing his racing of the car.

Having no idea the massive poopstorm this would ignite. This car was an entirely new model rollout with a SAFETY DEFECT!! Holy Crap!

Untold millions & millions of dollars and a recall were at stake, shareholder's investments, and Subaru's reputation for safety as well

Subaru USA went into panic mode. They flew in engineers and all sorts of top brass to examine the car.

Meanwhile, on the sales floor, I had no idea any of this was going on. Mum was the word.

My pal & his parents were called in to discuss the situation under great scrutiny. My friend caved under pressure & admitted the racing & abuse of the E-Brake.

This was obviously a massive relief to Subaru Corporate. They replaced the brake components for free despite racing voiding the warranty. I don't know if he had to sign an NDA for that or not, but this was a HUGE deal for the entire company.

So how does this pertain to this Glock story? Yes, the Glock is not part of a new model rollout.

But a safety problem this egregious is definitely a big concern that could have serious ramifications for the company. If the gun had stock internals.

This could also be one of many similar incidents. Lives could be at stake.

That gun definitely needs to be examined by Glock, if the event/story is legit.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:32 AM

I still say it was a Poltergeist.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:14 AM

It was the cat. It was a ghost. It was a glock.
Good thing any of those arent a great shot...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
I still say it was a Poltergeist.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rockefeller View Post
Have you broken the Glock down to inspect it?

For it to fire, the sear has to come away from the striker to release it. Since the Glock's striker is cocked to the fullest only by a trigger pull, just the sear releasing the striker won't allow a full power strike, but might be enough for your primers.

I'd be looking for broken parts/pins associated with the striker.

P.S. I only have a general understanding of Glocks, I am not a Glock armorer.
Bob,
I must correct you here and, although it appears that you have a good understanding of how the Glock works, there is no 'sear' in a Glock, that function is accomplished by the rear edge of the trigger bar where it engages the firing pin lug.

This I know because I am a Glock Armorer and have used the Glock platform for many years, true I prefer the old Colt 1911 but both in my military career and my civilian life I have extensive training with both formats.

Now to the OP original question as stated before I have never known a Glock to just discharge without any outside force on it. Also if what you say is true and I am not saying it is not, but logic dictates that if one round just fired with no input from an outside source then all rounds would of fired as well. I suggest you very carefully unload it if you have not already and contact Glock I am sure they would want to inspect the gun.

I also did some research on the Glocks firing by themselves without any input from an outside source and I could not find a single reference anywhere to this happening ever, you may truly have a unique one off situation with a Glock, Good Luck.

Last edited by ToddRvs; 05-25-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:41 AM
Administrator

A long, long time ago my dad came home from work and asked me about Glocks. He had heard from a co-worker with a friend (yeah I know... third-hand info) who set his Glock down on a table and it fired all by itself. I told my dad it was impossible, and that the owner simply didn't realize or was willing to admit that he touched the trigger somehow. When a firearm goes off without warning and scares the bejeezus out of you it's easy to blame the gun itself, since few are willing to admit they touched the trigger without realizing it. After all, how many "the gun apparently discharged by itself" news stories do we hear every year? Lots.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Butthead!
Naw, I'm trying to play things cool for awhile after bringing up sardines.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2020, 12:10 PM

Sorry, but I'm not buying it! Not unless the gun was used, and the previous owner had made MULTIPLE changes to the gun.

There are no less than three safeties in a Glock:

1) Trigger safety
2) Firing pin safety
3) Drop safety

Even IF the striker slipped off of the trigger bar, unless the trigger bar was either pulled back, (which means an INTENTIONAL firing), or the firing pin safety was removed, (which is a dangerous modification), the gun won't go off.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 05-25-2020, 12:16 PM

This story is getting some attention over at Glock Talk.
I agree that it seems simply impossible, unless the pistol has been messed with. Of course, the Glock is one of the most popular home gunsmithing pistols, due to its ease of disassembly and wide availability of parts.
Should be easy to diagnose and fix. I have completely stripped a Glock 17 and reassembled it, and the directions for function checking are easily available. The ease of tooless disassembly is only equaled by the 1911.
I keep my bedside G22 in a holster that takes two hands to release.

My Uncle was a WWII Pacific war Marine. He, and his wife woke up in the middle of the night with him yelling, and holding his S&W 1917 .45 out with the hammer cocked...

Last edited by amd6547; 05-25-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:23 PM

Haven’t read all the comments...but assuming the gun did fire by itself, how the hell did the gun not move?
Old 05-25-2020, 12:34 PM

I've heard this before. "The gun just went off!" BS. Not unless it's been tampered with.

I carried the Glock on duty and was a Certified Glock Armorer. They don't just go off.

Mike

COTEP - CBOB 516
Old 05-25-2020, 01:04 PM

As an owner-user of eleven different Glock pistols over a period exceeding 30 years, I'd have to say something that there's something inexplicable here.

I'm thoroughly familiar with the Glock trigger-linkage design and with the redundant Glock safeties, and unless the gun was stored with the trigger under pressure plus the possibility of further pressure being added, or unless there had been some truly-strange alteration to the gun (of a sort I have difficulty imagining), there's either something not being told or not being recognized here.

The Glock striker at rest is partially tensioned, true, but even if that tension were were somehow suddenly released, the force available would be insufficient to ignite a typical centerfire primer. Heck, even fully-tensioned Glock strikers sometimes fail to ignite primers! (The force delivered to a primer with striker-fired pistols is significantly less than with hammer-fired guns like the 1911.)

I don't know anything against the OP, and am not saying anything against the OP, but I don't believe that the example as written (a stable, holstered, untouched stock Glock pistol simply "going off" by itself) has ever been convincingly described anywhere, at any time before.

Has anybody here ever known of such a thing?
Old 05-25-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRvs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rockefeller View Post
Have you broken the Glock down to inspect it?

For it to fire, the sear has to come away from the striker to release it. Since the Glock's striker is cocked to the fullest only by a trigger pull, just the sear releasing the striker won't allow a full power strike, but might be enough for your primers.

I'd be looking for broken parts/pins associated with the striker.

P.S. I only have a general understanding of Glocks, I am not a Glock armorer.
Bob,
I must correct you here and, although it appears that you have a good understanding of how the Glock works, there is no 'sear' in a Glock, that function is accomplished by the rear edge of the trigger bar where it engages the firing pin lug.

This I know because I am a Glock Armorer and have used the Glock platform for many years, true I prefer the old Colt 1911 but both in my military career and my civilian life I have extensive training with both formats.

Now to the OP original question as stated before I have never known a Glock to just discharge without any outside force on it. Also if what you say is true and I am not saying it is not, but logic dictates that if one round just fired with no input from an outside source then all rounds would of fired as well. I suggest you very carefully unload it if you have not already and contact Glock I am sure they would want to inspect the gun.

I also did some research on the Glocks firing by themselves without any input from an outside source and I could not find a single reference anywhere to this happening ever, you may truly have a unique one off situation with a Glock, Good Luck.
Here is the cruciform comment that always shows up!
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 05-25-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
As an owner-user of eleven different Glock pistols over a period exceeding 30 years, I'd have to say something that there's something inexplicable here.

I'm thoroughly familiar with the Glock trigger-linkage design and with the redundant Glock safeties, and unless the gun was stored with the trigger under pressure plus the possibility of further pressure being added, or unless there had been some truly-strange alteration to the gun (of a sort I have difficulty imagining), there's either something not being told or not being recognized here.

The Glock striker at rest is partially tensioned, true, but even if that tension were were somehow suddenly released, the force available would be insufficient to ignite a typical centerfire primer. Heck, even fully-tensioned Glock strikers sometimes fail to ignite primers! (The force delivered to a primer with striker-fired pistols is significantly less than with hammer-fired guns like the 1911.)

I don't know anything against the OP, and am not saying anything against the OP, but I don't believe that the example as written (a stable, holstered, untouched stock Glock pistol simply "going off" by itself) has ever been convincingly described anywhere, at any time before.

Has anybody here ever known of such a thing?
It absolutely can fire if the FPB is not working and the "sear" or striker surfaces are worn or messed with in any way. The partially cocked state is enough to fire most rounds
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 05-25-2020, 02:03 PM

A radical post like this is made, stirring up many questions which go unanswered due to the OP having vanished. Common etiquette would dictate a timely response knowing there would be much controversy. This likely is a waste of time.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:06 PM

ToddRvs:"logic dictates that if one round just fired with no input from an outside source then all rounds would of fired as well. "

IF the incident occurred as described, I don't see how multiple fires could occur. Without the receiver being held in place, it doesn't seem that the slide would recoil by itself (relative to the receiver) far enough to be able to pick up the next round. If my thinking on this part is wrong, please correct me.

As for the striker safety, it could have been previously stuck or modified without a shooter ever noticing it.

Ass-u-me-ing the facts are correct as stated by the OP, it seems to me that someone's attempt(s) at "improving" the trigger pull could result in such an event.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

- Friedrich Hayek
Old 05-25-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
It absolutely can fire if the FPB is not working and the "sear" or striker surfaces are worn or messed with in any way. The partially cocked state is enough to fire most rounds
Absolutely won't, in a stock gun.

"FPB not working"..."Sear or striker surfaces... messed with in any way"...

C'mon. Saying a thing is "possible" is not the same as recording that it "has actually happened", and giving an example.

I know that no one here is going to be able to respond with anything more than "well yeah, it coulda happened".

If you can do better, please do.