Just making noise - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-24-2020, 05:22 AM

It might have appeared as though they were just making noise but if it was only a
couple of hundred feet away they could easily see little rocks and dirt clods to shoot at.
And maybe not. I have seen people at the range that are just making noise but they never burn up much ammo.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:57 AM

To each their own as they say. But to one point ammo is not that unavailable but the price has sure gone up.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:37 AM

There are time, when ya jus gotta have a mad minute.
t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 08:39 AM

And those guys would think I’m weird not shooting at all. Just walking around picking up one times fired cases 😂. Sometimes I completely forget why I went to the range in the first place 🙄.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:48 AM

Mr magdump should try to hit these targets. Even from 50 yards, rather than 300 and 500 yards, like the guys in this video did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHWX...youtu.be&t=266
Old 05-24-2020, 10:15 AM

Maybe they were blind?

And practicing the spray and pray technique.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
It might have appeared as though they were just making noise but if it was only a
couple of hundred feet away they could easily see little rocks and dirt clods to shoot at.
Guessing this ^ I do it all the time at the outdoor ranges and desert shooting, everything is a target. Ill set up a 15-25 yard target for handgun and also be blasting the burm at 100 to 200yds.
Defiantly use a target to zero a rifle though.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Like I said there were assorted little pieces of trash from previous shooters scattered here and there. Maybe they were just "reusing" those. Also like I said they had every right to enjoy their shooting experience however they wished. At least they kept the weapons pointed downrange and had them neatly arranged on the table, rather than haphazardly on the ground like some shooters do. They also handled the weapons responsibly and didn't just hip-fire like they were in some 80's action movie. But it still floored me to see all that ammo being burned up with nowhere for it to go. Maybe I really am just getting old.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:35 PM

Drail, just from reading the Original Post, was able to peer deep into the souls of these shooters that are total strangers to him.

He was able to discern, from the post, that these shooters have no sense of reality.

He was also able to, from maybe 1000 miles away, determine that all they know about guns comes from Hollywood & video gaming.

Actually to the point of not knowing about anything at all, other than info gleaned from these sources.

That's a truly amazing act of clairvoyance. I'm very impressed.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Magman, you posted that this morning and I deleted it. Drail has a right to his opinion, even if you think he's wrong.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Drail, just from reading the Original Post, was able to peer deep into the souls of these shooters that are total strangers to him.

He was able to discern, from the post, that these shooters have no sense of reality.

He was also able to, from maybe 1000 miles away, determine that all they know about guns comes from Hollywood & video gaming.

Actually to the point of not knowing about anything at all, other than info gleaned from these sources.

That's a truly amazing act of clairvoyance. I'm very impressed.
Now isn't that a spin ....... you do the same thing in most of your posts, just like the left to call someone else out on what they themselves do.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:14 PM

Might look that way when I shoot sometimes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Earlier this week I ventured back into the woods to test-fire a couple of pistols I have. When I arrived at the parking area leading to the shooting spot I could hear somebody rapid-firing a rifle. I didn't think too much of it as I grabbed my portable steel target and my pack containing my gear. There was more rapid-fire shooting as I walked to the shooting pit, where I found three guys with a whole lineup of ARs and AKs laid out on a portable table with stacks of high-cap mags. There was more than one spot to shoot so I chose the area not in use. I passed the other guys and we greeted each other with pleasantries, and I proceeded to set up and do my shooting.

As I was doing so the guys with the rifles continued pouring out a constant volume of fire, and I was amazed that they somehow managed to acquire so much ammo during this pandemic that they could afford to do one mag dump after another. By contrast I didn't do any more shooting than necessary to satisfy myself that my guns were working fine, as I'm trying to conserve what ammo I have until the supply situation improves. Therefore it wasn't long before I was done shooting, and as I packed up and began to walk out I just happened to glance over at whatever targets those guys were shooting at.

There weren't any.

Those dudes blew close to a thousand rounds of ammo during the short time I was there, literally shooting at nothing but the hillside a couple hundred feet away. Aside from a piece of trash here or there they had nothing to aim at. They seemed like nice ordinary guys and they had a lot of pretty well dressed-up rifles, but... what on Earth??? All those nice guns, all that ammo, and all they came there for was to play Rambo for an hour. Granted it was their right, their guns, their ammo and their money to waste, and so forth. But when I see YouTube videos where guys are mag-dumping rifles at IPSC targets 7 yards in front of them, where I usually laugh at them, I have to admit that at least they're shooting at something!

Anyway, no offense meant to you guys whoever you were, and BTW nice collection you have. But please, get yourselves a portable target, or at least a case of cheap soda and some milk jugs, and actually use that trigger time to work on your skills. Become riflemen, not just men with rifles.
Might look that way when I shoot sometimes because, though I -brought- targets, I find some considerate predecessor left fragments of clay bird on the berm. With *all those* targets already sown on the berm, no need for me to go down range and place my own targets. The fragments are nicely reactive. Breaking up fragments, until I can no longer see them, feels like I’ve helped in range clean-up and killed two+ birds with however many bullets.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscriber View Post
Mr magdump should try to hit these targets. Even from 50 yards, rather than 300 and 500 yards, like the guys in this video did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHWX...youtu.be&t=266
Those boys are riflemen. With rifles.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemaury View Post
Those boys are riflemen. With rifles.
Almost too good to be true.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:37 PM

Speed VS accuracy. In this video about .30 and .35 cal air rifles, the presenter does not waste any time trying to flatter the groups by shooting slowly. Yet he shoots 10 shots in an inch at 100 yards with the .30 cal.

If you think airguns are "just kids' toys", skip the video. Else, be prepared to be impressed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAmB...youtu.be&t=105

Bottom line; practical accuracy matters, at practical speed. Not, best groups under lab conditions.

Last edited by subscriber; 05-24-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgt_usa View Post
Might look that way when I shoot sometimes because, though I -brought- targets, I find some considerate predecessor left fragments of clay bird on the berm. With *all those* targets already sown on the berm, no need for me to go down range and place my own targets. The fragments are nicely reactive. Breaking up fragments, until I can no longer see them, feels like I’ve helped in range clean-up and killed two+ birds with however many bullets.
Actually I do the same. Every so often I'm lucky to see a bunch of unbroken or barely chipped clay targets that somebody left behind. I can't resist the urge to finish those up before starting on my own targets. If you ever want to take me out of the picture, simply put a 50lb container of mixed Tannerite in the ground with just a fine dirt layer over it and a tempting unbroken clay target on top where you know I'll find it.

Last edited by dsk; 05-24-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:24 PM

My main pet peeve is the cleanup, or should I say, the lack of cleanup. Paper ammo boxes, cigarette butts, plastic wrappers, etc.... Responsible shooters clean up afterwards. Perhaps it’s the Eagle Scout in me - Always leave the campsite cleaner than you found it.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Is ammo really that scarce? I just had 1000 rounds delivered, no problem.
Can you please tell us your source? I'm looking for ammo.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
A LONG time ago, when I was younger, I enjoyed "dumping ammo" at the hillside (or trees, or at the garbage dump - yes it was called garbage dump before being called land fill). But, that was a LONG time ago when I was young....
VERY young... garbage dumps (which were everywhere) were where we went to hone our skills by shooting rats... that was aso before the "save our wildlife" people came into being.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:30 PM

Maybe I am just cheap at heart. I dont even do endless magazine dumps with .22 ammo and I have ... lets say "several" cases of .22 ammo. . Besides I find no thrill in magazine dumps. Its a waste in every aspect. I am much more interested in accuracy over firepower.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTVIKING View Post
VERY young... garbage dumps (which were everywhere) were where we went to hone our skills by shooting rats... that was aso before the "save our wildlife" people came into being.
Yep, my brother and I went to the dump at night to do that very thing - shoot rats. Great point-shoot practice for duck hunting, and some of the best fun shooting we ever had! Unfortunately, those days are gone; tragic loss IMO. My grandchildren will never get to know that fun.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-27-2020, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlag19 View Post
My main pet peeve is the cleanup, or should I say, the lack of cleanup. Paper ammo boxes, cigarette butts, plastic wrappers, etc.... Responsible shooters clean up afterwards. Perhaps it’s the Eagle Scout in me - Always leave the campsite cleaner than you found it.
Yeah that's a problem at the place I was shooting. The ground must be several inches thick with shotgun shell hulls. The only good thing about it that they make great impromptu .22 targets.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:42 PM

The rapid fire boys are usually a good source of brass. Depending on the caliber, I’ll wait them out. Then pick up all that nice new shinny brass.
When I go fishing I bring more trash back than fish.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reach147 View Post
At the outdoor range near my house, one day I pulled in and as I was setting up I discovered someone had been there earlier and had been using Barbie Doll and other dolls as targets.

Try and figure that one out,,,,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You sparked a long ago memory, circa 1960. My dad took me out to a gravel pit to shoot my brand new J C Higgins bolt action .22. We took turns shooting at some of those 3” tall molded plastic toy soldiers that we set up on a log. When we went forward to check how we did, only one of them Had been hit and the bullet took the head off. I was proud of that shot until my dad said, “What makes you think you hit it”? He was in the Army and was at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked. He spent the next 3+ years island hopping until the re-taking of the Philippines. Odds are the hit was his.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
Can you please tell us your source? I'm looking for ammo.
Ammo depot. Just bought 500 rounds of 223 for under 240.00. Not the best price ever, but it was at my house in three days.