Tortoise shell plastic grips - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 11:31 AM

Tortoise shell plastic grips

Awhile back someone posted a picture of a Detective model HP wearing a pair of unusual plastic grips - resembling Tortoise Shell - I tried the forum search feature but can't find them.
I know a grip maker who does custom plastic grips - & I would like to send him a copy of that photo. Obviously I liked them. will appreciate any help - they sure were pretty.
Thanks, C.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:52 AM

Hey Craig, I think you might be referring to a pair of Franzite grips (possibly Agate style) on my Detective. I had posted it a while back in the aftermarket grip threat, but the link to the images are now broken.

If these were what you were thinking of, and if you need more detailed images just let me know.

Todd

Old 05-22-2020, 11:40 AM

TODD - I DO like your taste. Those are the ones I think, although I remember them being a little more brown (Could be the lighting) - but I go for light looking ones as well.

A guy here in Georgia makes custom grips - IF he can do it, I'd like some FRANZITE looking ones for my little FEG PA-63 Walther PP clone - which is my "poor mans Detective", I do like its size, DA/SA action, reliability, fixed barrel accuracy, + concealability & light weight.

So you made my day - Thank You Todd !

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 12:37 PM

I also have a pair of Vintage Franzite Faux Walnut grips. Perhaps this is the coloration you were thinking of.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSig View Post
I also have a pair of Vintage Franzite Faux Walnut grips. Perhaps this is the coloration you were thinking of.

OOOOOH - NICE. I Googled "Franzite Grips" & found a cool backstory about the man who owned the sporting goods company who had Franzite Grips made.
Seems he was accused of being the arms dealer behind arming the Chicago Mob. Very Interesting Story. While looking, I came across KIRINITE GRIPS - sort of carrying on the style grip craft.
Nobody offers any to fit my Feg PP clone - I may have a Georgia grip maker give it a try (I saved plenty of pictures).
Thanks TODD for bringing it to my attention.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:00 AM

As I mentioned the KIRINITE GRIPS are carrying on the FRANZITE look. I saved this picture of a pair of 1911 grips NOW on Ebay. Nice looking - but oddly thick. The seller may be worth contacting about custom grips & grips for other pistols.

cheers, C.
Attached Thumbnails
kirinite grips s-l1600.jpg  
Old 05-29-2020, 11:26 AM

As you must know by now...FRANZITE (Sports, Inc. ...with a somewhat 'checkered' history-- some of that history-- http://www.franzitegrips.com/ ) went out of business sometime in the late-'60s. But their grips still keep turning up from time to time. You may get lucky and stumble across what you're lookin' for but....your best bet will probably be to keep checking in regularly at on-line auction sites like e-Bay from time to time. Franzite grips turn up there occasionally. Ya' may get lucky (??)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:51 AM

That looks an awful lot like a more or less standard way of producing Bakelite... two or more colors swirled together and then molded. Looking for Bakelite as a search term might be useful?

Tom
1918 Colt
Old 05-29-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
OOOOOH - NICE. I Googled "Franzite Grips" & found a cool backstory about the man who owned the sporting goods company who had Franzite Grips made.
Seems he was accused of being the arms dealer behind arming the Chicago Mob. Very Interesting Story. While looking, I came across KIRINITE GRIPS - sort of carrying on the style grip craft.
Nobody offers any to fit my Feg PP clone - I may have a Georgia grip maker give it a try (I saved plenty of pictures).
Thanks TODD for bringing it to my attention.
Is that the PA63? Anyway, I was in contact years ago with a grip maker in Hungary who probably has those grips but darned if I can find his contact info. I bought some grips from him for my FEG PJK-9HP - beautiful work.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Is that the PA63? Anyway, I was in contact years ago with a grip maker in Hungary who probably has those grips but darned if I can find his contact info. I bought some grips from him for my FEG PJK-9HP - beautiful work.

Nice grips 1saxman. Is this the maker (Marschal Grips in Hungary)?
https://www.marschalgrips.com/index.html

Any problems in getting them shipped?
Old 05-30-2020, 10:56 AM

Yes, that's the guy! Could not remember that name. No shipping problem as I remember.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:01 AM

Of course I had to go take a look - now I think I have to buy some grips for my PA63. Thanks for finding the site. LOL
Old 05-30-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
That looks an awful lot like a more or less standard way of producing Bakelite... two or more colors swirled together and then molded. Looking for Bakelite as a search term might be useful?

Tom
No NOT BAKELITE, there is more clear resin used - made much more like tortoise shell glasses frames. Using "Franzite OR Kirinite Grips" will find them on line.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
No NOT BAKELITE, there is more clear resin used - made much more like tortoise shell glasses frames. Using "Franzite OR Kirinite Grips" will find them on line.
Cataline?

Tom
1918 Colt
Old 06-01-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
Cataline?

Tom
Yes, they could be well Cataline - I'm guessing the new made Kirinites are made with polyester resin - & may age better, chip less etc..