Custom shop turnaround time? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-03-2020, 08:45 AM

Custom shop turnaround time?

I sent my "Loaded" model in to the custom shop for a little bit of work and so far I have no heard back. Anyone have experience with them? How long is their usual turnaround time?
Old 05-03-2020, 09:36 AM

Would you like some cheese with that whine? When Springfield gets done they will let you know.

Okay, He is a very good friend of mine, I just wanted to give him a hard time.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:19 AM

When you talked to them before you sent it in they should have given you a estimated time as to how long it would take to do the work. I have sent in a couple of guns and they usually have gotten them done before the estimate. If your getting the front strap on the frame done like I did one time they only have one machine that does it and they do them in batches as to what type of machining is being done. The hardest part is waiting for your gun to get back because you really want to shoot it with the improvements. Oh and I suggest Colby or Baby Swiss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2020, 11:40 AM

What custom shop :-)
Old 05-03-2020, 12:21 PM

I haven't a clue. Maybe there is a hint in the sarcastic responses lol
Old 05-03-2020, 12:51 PM

It isn't a full custom shop any more up they do a few select things like sights and coatings.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:53 PM

Really?? The price list and services is missing from new website.

OP it took 13 weeks ship to receive on my gun with SACS
Old 05-04-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbee View Post
What custom shop :-)

LOL
Old 05-04-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSentinel View Post
I sent my "Loaded" model in to the custom shop for a little bit of work and so far I have no heard back. Anyone have experience with them? How long is their usual turnaround time?

I've used them a lot over the years but not since 2016 . I would call , they
maybe working on a small staff or not working at all during Covid 19 .

1-800.617.6751 . I heard Debbie is finally gone . Great step in the right
direction . Let us know what you find out
Old 05-04-2020, 04:32 PM

I am kind of curious, I have sent several pistols to the old Springfield custom shop. Always received excellent service. I have spoken to Deb on the phone and in person at the Shot Show. I always found her polite and easy to deal with. What has happened.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dep2386 View Post
I am kind of curious, I have sent several pistols to the old Springfield custom shop. Always received excellent service. I have spoken to Deb on the phone and in person at the Shot Show. I always found her polite and easy to deal with. What has happened.
Yes and Amanda too. Met them both at the SHOT show at different times. I wonder if they are phasing out the custom shop.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I have spoken to Deb on the phone and in person at the Shot Show. I always found her polite and easy to deal with. What has happened.

WOW I wish I could say that . Everyone other then Debbie has been very
nice to deal with , on the multiple times and pistols . Polite is NEVER a
word I would use talking about Debbie .

Dave and Amanda are great people to deal with , I miss SACS of old .
Old 05-05-2020, 10:17 PM

I never really had an issue with Deb, but then again I dealt directly with Dave for my custom work on the Series 70. Is there a list printed of what they actually do these days? If so where can get one? Dave did an excellent job.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:54 AM

Sorry I took so long to get back. Been busy helping dep2386 spend his money on guns I want to shoot of his that I can't afford

They did not tell me when I sent it in how long it would take. I was so happy that they were open and taking work I didn't even think of asking at the time. It will be 5 weeks on Monday and I have not heard a peep; not even that they received it. I may call or email next week if I don't hear anything.

Man I hope it's not 13 weeks like scottl had. That would be rough.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:27 AM

What are they doing to it?
Old 05-07-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSentinel View Post
Man I hope it's not 13 weeks like scottl had. That would be rough.
13 weeks. SACS done all but ambi safety and mag well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2020, 09:22 AM

I must be blind....can't seem to find a link to custom services offered through their shop.

I'm not a fan of the new website.

I'm starting to get that Sig Legion vibe.....you know, "here is your new Legion pistol and coin....go forth and complete 3 missions and you'll get the decoder ring and secret handshake".

I like the looks of the Ronin pistol, but not understanding the "operator" part of it.

Not sure what's happening with the XD pistol series, either.

I"m sure all companies are in a constant state of evolving.....it's just hard to figure out what the plan is at SA right now.

Seems to be they could absolutely hit home run after home run by taking customers guns, such as the nicely priced Defender MilSpec.....and run it through their shop for some tasty enhancements.

They could even have package configurations that cover sights, btgs, internals, checkering, magwell and various combinations thereof.

It's really disappointing to see their shop slip away from the grasp of the average guy.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:30 AM

Dub your not blind.it's not there. I am wondering if we have another case of CS mix up again. I wonder if OP meant customer service warranty work
Old 05-08-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
I must be blind....can't seem to find a link to custom services offered through their shop.

I'm not a fan of the new website.

I'm starting to get that Sig Legion vibe.....you know, "here is your new Legion pistol and coin....go forth and complete 3 missions and you'll get the decoder ring and secret handshake".

I like the looks of the Ronin pistol, but not understanding the "operator" part of it.

Not sure what's happening with the XD pistol series, either.

I"m sure all companies are in a constant state of evolving.....it's just hard to figure out what the plan is at SA right now.

Seems to be they could absolutely hit home run after home run by taking customers guns, such as the nicely priced Defender MilSpec.....and run it through their shop for some tasty enhancements.

They could even have package configurations that cover sights, btgs, internals, checkering, magwell and various combinations thereof.

It's really disappointing to see their shop slip away from the grasp of the average guy.

DUBFROMGA

You could not have red my mind any better . Your spot on about the SIG
Legion group think as well . Its like they wanted to start a Colt Cult thing
. " Join this group become one of us " Yaaay . Pass .

Yes What great minds keep thinking - We have SACS one of the greatest
Custom Pistol Shops of all time . We make some of the Best Custom 1911's
of all time . Ok i'll take 2 of the best that I like . A TGO - 1 and A professional
Now what do you have for me ?

Well SACS takes in stock pistols and will customize them to your wants &
needs . Great I'll spend 1400.00 on a Used SA longslide , 1300.00 on a
New RO Champion , Hey Lipsey's offers a 9mm 5 inch assembled at SACS
with every thing I want . I'll buy one of those .

WOE WOE WOE this Custom pistol thing is taking off . Lets stop doing
custom work for the regular guy . Lets make people spend more then
2500.00 for custom work . We got to stop this great thing we got , that sells
people on cradle to grave service . Stock pistol , to Customized pistol , to full
Custom pistol . Its just to good , lets put a stop to that .

Springfield before 2016 we sell great factory 1911's . In fact if you want
to add or take away options or modify your Springfield to your liking . We
Have just the Custom shop for you . Turn around times are in the 3 month
range . Very reasonable . We are here for you

Springfield after 2016 . Nope , sorry , buy a Stock or Custom pistol we offer
that's it ... and by the way we make and sell AR's now .
Old 05-09-2020, 08:28 AM

Holy cow. Well the website has changed. I just went there to see what you guys were talking about and it is a different site.

When I sent my gun in a few weeks ago, I went to the custom 1911 section and it had a PDF file you could download to check off what work you wanted done. There was no check box for front strap checking so I emailed them to ask if it could be done. I got an email back saying yeah sure send it in, so I did. But I swear it was a custom shop thing.

Now I go to the website and they still have a custom shop 1911 guns section but it looks like you can only order one of their custom shop guns and you have to pick one. There is no more download thing.

So I don't know how it happened. Apparently I slipped in during some odd window where their left hand did not know what their right hand was doing. So now they have my gun and promised to do the work for me. I have the email exchanges. I hope everything goes OK.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:17 AM

It can get Dark around here on some subjects . At least we are honest about how
we feel . Your not getting corporate yes men here . We are customers that really
like Springfield , spend money with the company , but tell it like we see it .

Back in 2014 and 2015 you should have seen the Custom thread on this site . It
was booming with people showing off there newly customized pistols . SACS had
a great work sheet that was simple and easy for you to spend money . Yes they
needed to raise some prices by 10 to 20% . The Springfield Custom shop was no
longer Springfield's best kept secret . People who were fed up with Colt's custom
shop , were sending their Colts in , Ruger's , Remington's , Rock Islands , ETC .

It truly was COOL to see these stock pistols , turn into custom master pieces . It
really was Heaven on earth for the regular guy who wanted to customize their
stock 1911's . AND who on God's green earth does not want to customize their
1911's . Its the Harley Davidson / Muscle Car / Hot Rod of Guns .

Everyone wants a Trigger job , a Slide stop notch , Checkering , Great barrel lock up
, Reliability , Different sights , New & Used Pistols refinished , etc .

I'am going to leave it with that .
Bill
Old 05-09-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1911 View Post
DUBFROMGA

You could not have red my mind any better . Your spot on about the SIG
Legion group think as well . Its like they wanted to start a Colt Cult thing
. " Join this group become one of us " Yaaay . Pass .

Yes What great minds keep thinking - We have SACS one of the greatest
Custom Pistol Shops of all time . We make some of the Best Custom 1911's
of all time . Ok i'll take 2 of the best that I like . A TGO - 1 and A professional
Now what do you have for me ?

Well SACS takes in stock pistols and will customize them to your wants &
needs . Great I'll spend 1400.00 on a Used SA longslide , 1300.00 on a
New RO Champion , Hey Lipsey's offers a 9mm 5 inch assembled at SACS
with every thing I want . I'll buy one of those .

WOE WOE WOE this Custom pistol thing is taking off . Lets stop doing
custom work for the regular guy . Lets make people spend more then
2500.00 for custom work . We got to stop this great thing we got , that sells
people on cradle to grave service . Stock pistol , to Customized pistol , to full
Custom pistol . Its just to good , lets put a stop to that .

Springfield before 2016 we sell great factory 1911's . In fact if you want
to add or take away options or modify your Springfield to your liking . We
Have just the Custom shop for you . Turn around times are in the 3 month
range . Very reasonable . We are here for you

Springfield after 2016 . Nope , sorry , buy a Stock or Custom pistol we offer
that's it ... and by the way we make and sell AR's now .

Spot on, brother, spot on. You've nailed it there.

It's a crazy mess at SA at current times. Don't know if they see it, but from this longterm customer's perspective it's very disappointing.

I had a strong desire for some work on an existing 5".....wanted similar to Pro.....but not quite a full blown Pro.....5", no ambi, no magwell, 20lpi frontstrap & 20lpi mainspring housing, 40 lpi serrated slide rear, solid long trigger, fiber optic sights, no fcs and in good old classic blue.

No joy to be found from SA.

Went elsewhere and ordered a new gun.....probably a month out from delivery now.

I've also found someone who can do any work desired on a couple of my existing SA pistols.....once I dial in on the specifics ....and replenish the gun funds.

i can appreciate the gun manufacturers having huge financial nightmares with their futures held hostage by the threat from pending restrictive legislation.

They can't really ramp up with sustained confidence and they have to exploit their resources to the highest financial leverage possible. A group like their Custom Shop is likely an easy group to redirect to other projects.....the pre-packaged stuff with known production rates and planned profit margins.....vs the inconsistent piece work that would flow through the doors of the prior Custom Shop.

I understand.

I understand, however, they aren't meeting my needs as a consumer.

I don't want a decoder ring or a caped costume. I'm not interested in joining Sig's Legion or whatever secret squirrel tactical operator ninja jive that SA is conjuring up.

I simply want a rock solid 1911 made to my own liking. A gun that will get lots of accurate rounds downrange....a gun that will be carried frequently.

I'm grateful for Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Integrity Arms and Alchemy Custom Weaponry. The first two have my current gun funds with guns on order....the second two will be getting orders for the next guns on my wishlist, hopefully later on this year.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I spoke with Deb several times when ordering my PRO and during the 15 month wait for it to ship. She was always polite and accurate with her information.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post

I don't want a decoder ring or a caped costume. I'm not interested in joining Sig's Legion or whatever secret squirrel tactical operator ninja jive that SA is conjuring up.

I simply want a rock solid 1911 made to my own liking. A gun that will get lots of accurate rounds downrange....a gun that will be carried frequently.

I'm grateful for Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Integrity Arms and Alchemy Custom Weaponry. The first two have my current gun funds with guns on order....the second two will be getting orders for the next guns on my wishlist, hopefully later on this year.
This^^^^^^^exactly!
Old 05-09-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhawk View Post
I spoke with Deb several times when ordering my PRO and during the 15 month wait for it to ship. She was always polite and accurate with her information.

28 month wait for two a railed and Non-railed Professionals ordered July
2014 . 28 months later ( which the wait time was not the problem ) The
big price change was . 2800.00 changed to 3395.00 while waiting more
then 2 years . That was is a Major problem . Then me having to go back
and forth for 2 weeks . Then no certificate was with the pistol more phone
calls back and forth . I was very nice for awhile but Deb's attitude and
helpfulness sucked . I had to call her to remind her to do something .
Write yourself a note to call me back lady ... Its your company's fault
not mine . Why am I doing your work for you . Amanda on the other hand
courteous , friendly , She called you back and was very nice to talk to .
Dave Williams was the same , Both Professionals . Deb sucked .

Last edited by Billy1911; 05-09-2020 at 05:05 PM.