Guncrafter vs Alchemy - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-04-2020, 10:23 PM

Guncrafter vs Alchemy

I’m new to the forum. Still trying to figure out how to work it. I have an Ed Brown Alpha Elite. Great gun but want something new. I’ve been looking at Guncrafter NN and Alchemy Prime. Any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2020, 11:00 PM

Blonde vs Ginger?
Old 04-04-2020, 11:39 PM

I have a Brimstone from Alchemy and I have to say that it is the nicest pistol I have. It has all the other guys beat hands down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020, 11:55 PM

I own neither. I’d go alchemy personally. Nothing wrong with GI, but alchemy is amazing.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:56 AM

Alchemy for the win! Besides offering a top notch product, the customer service has been way beyond expectations. They put a lotta love into each pistol they make.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:34 AM

I would be willing to bet BOTH are great.

Here's my $0.02. Check out the model/s from both brands that you really like. Then compare prices. Write this info down.

Watch for all pistols on your list on Forums, in gun store, or GB. Once you see one of these models for a good price, then buy it!

P.S. The next one probably won't be your last, so don't be too worried about your decision.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2020, 06:00 AM

Either would be great pistols i would imagine. I attempt to balance things by leaning Guncrafter because I’ve got 4 of them.... No knock on Alchemy, looks like a nice gun.
All of my GIs were 100% out of the gate. I think its a matter of what hits you about any of the makers. I looked at a Volkmann but went with another GI on my last. Ive got 4 WC, 3 SGs but i was getting a bit dizzy with all the new models, and non were better than what I already had. GI doesn’t take a backseat to my WCs imho.

Have you shot or handled either one?
Old 04-05-2020, 07:07 AM

No I’ve never shot or handled either. But was leaning toward Guncrafter.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:16 AM
Administrator

It is permissible to ask for advice, but Guns for sale and Guns wanted to buy are not allowed.
If you have a question as to what we consider a GFS post, it is covered in some detail here.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:28 AM

Ok thanks. Just joined last night. Still trying to figure out how to do everything
Old 04-06-2020, 12:05 AM

I have both

I have shot both extensively and still own both, so I feel like I may be able to help you. I have an two Americans (essentially railed NNís) and a Prime. Iíve had the American since 2012 and my Prime was from the first batch that ACW released in 2018. I am the original owner of both and purchased them new.

They are different build philosophies and styling, both executed very well for what they are. I think they are both at the very top of all the semi-custom shops right now. Tell me what you like about each of them based on what you know now, and then also what is important in your next 1911. That would help me cover specifics about each of them that are relevant to the decision. Otherwise, I could write at least a whole page about each of them and still leave you no closer to a decision.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:42 AM

@ wetsum3

I like how both of them look about the same. The 15 lpi on the GI really calls to me. I like the melonite finish but read some negative comments about cleaning it. I like the old school look of Alchemy and I like how you can upgrade to 1” at 25 yards. Do yours both perform equally?
Old 04-06-2020, 10:29 AM

I would buy the Alchemy. Probably the best "factory custom" option currently available in the +/- 3k bracket.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW092016 View Post
@ wetsum3

I like how both of them look about the same. The 15 lpi on the GI really calls to me. I like the melonite finish but read some negative comments about cleaning it. I like the old school look of Alchemy and I like how you can upgrade to 1” at 25 yards. Do yours both perform equally?

My opinion is that they both go for the minimalist look, but from very different angles.

I got the Prime instead of a Colt retro rehab gun because it was a lot cheaper and easier than finding a Colt specimen and sending it off and waiting. If I were to rehab a colt, I would do everything that the Prime is. So it was easy for me to pull the trigger on that package and check the box for under 3 grand. I was headed down the road of going with a Jason Burton or Yost build, but now I feel totally satisfied with the Prime. Not saying those guns are equal, just that I’m happy with my Prime and I don’t have a need for another similar design. The Prime is beautiful and expertly built. I think the front strap and grip treatment is the best of any 1911 I’ve had. I wish my GI’s had it. It has a really high undercut, and the checkering diminishes toward the edges of the front strap to make it very comfortable against skin under a tshirt in a holster.

The Guncrafter doesn’t really have the look of the retro design, but more of a clean hard use 1911 design. The melonite finish is fantastic. You can do tons of holster draws and lots of rounds and it will still look new. It is the most durable finish I’ve ever had on a 1911. There are few, if any, negatives to cleaning it unless you use a solvent on it that you are not supposed to. I use FP-10 and it does great. The 15 LPI Gives a good bite in the grip texture and is not too abrasive. GI doesn’t have much of an undercut to the frame, but I have zero doubt that they would do it for you if it’s what you wanted. I might send mine in for some work to make it similar to my Prime.

The Prime 1” @25 yards is not a feature that appeals to me. I would not pay extra for it based on my uses, and my Prime already is super accurate the way it was built. I anticipate that I could shoot 20 thousand rounds through the gun and I not really notice a big drop off in accuracy, and I’m not running +P Loads very often that would prematurely wear the parts.

My trigger is a little lighter on my Prime, the gun is finished a little smoother, and the blueing is so perfect. The small parts do have a slightly different shade to them, but it doesn’t bother me.

The GI feels more substantial in my hand, has a more durable finish that is perfectly even across the whole gun, and I believe the lockup feels just a tad more perfect. I feel like GI does something to the barrel hoods that just make the so perfect. I don’t have any evidence this is actually better, but it’s just a funny thing I’ve noticed about them compared to my other 1911’s.

They DO both perform equally at when shooting. My GI’s hold the award of never needing to go back to the shop for anything that wasn’t just maintenance or a check up after hitting a high round count. All of my other 1911’s have gone back for something. This doesn’t really mean much to me other than I think GI just has a consistent process and they’ve been around a little longer. The Prime feels better in hand while shooting mainly bc of the grip for me, but I have so many rounds with my GI’s and I’ve taken training classes with them and they just rock. You will probably be happy with either in terms of just performance and feel, but they are very different. I think it depends on how you expect to use the weapon.

Let me know if you have more questions. I don’t mind answering at all. These are my two favorite Semi-custom 1911 makers so I like to talk them both up.

Sorry for typos, I’m bad at editing. Peace.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:05 PM

@ wetsum3

Thanks for the quick responses
Old 04-07-2020, 06:20 AM

My G.I. No Name (38 Super) is by far the most reliable, and quality built 1911 I own. But Lord Almighty, I too have had a tremendous desire for an Alchemy Prime chambered in 38 Super. I can’t believe you wouldn’t be please with either, or better yet - both!
Old 04-07-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW092016 View Post
@ wetsum3

I like how both of them look about the same. The 15 lpi on the GI really calls to me. I like the melonite finish but read some negative comments about cleaning it.
GIs melonite is an excellent and durable finish. The negative comments came from owners who used the wrong cleaners. Mine clean up with WD40 and Hoppes 9 and they clean up easier and faster because of the melonite.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the excellent comparisons Wetsum3.
Any experience with Volkmann precision?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:36 AM

There's no comparison. Yes, they are both 1911's, but the styles are so very different.

We try to do our best and there are some great guys at Guncrafter doing the same. The parts content/quality is very similar. It's just a question of which style you like most. Or...do you like both? Get one of each and draw your own conclusions.

All my best to the guys at GC. In my past dealings with them, they were extremely nice to work through projects with.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:39 AM

@ AlchemyCustom

Thanks. I’ve been looking at your website a lot the past few days and definitely like what I see. 👍🏼👍🏼👍&#x1f 3fc;👍🏼

Can anyone give me an estimated value of an Ed Brown Alpha Elite? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:36 PM

I have a very nice Alchemy Prime. Beautiful rich blue. Does everything it is supposed to. Tight. Not so tight that you can’t get it apart. I don’t shoot well enough to make use of the hard fit one. The Alchemy is certainly fit to the standards of my Ed Brown in .38 super. I bought the Alchemy for a ccw. Not that I ccw that much. It is a bit too nice to use as an everyday gun. I have seen Guncrafter. Very nice. I prefer the ACW.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:20 PM

Guncrafters have taken over my upper end 1911 collection. Before I felt one I swore I'd never have anything but Ed Brown. But I have to admit that I've never even seen an Alchemy in person.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:14 PM

I’ve got a weak spot for great bluing, so when I hear how nice Alchemy’s is it definitely gets my attention.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:20 PM

I think @AlchemyCustom said it best. You’ve got two great shops doing their very best work. You’ll probably want at least one from each as time goes on. They’re both crushing it. I think could could safely buy based on the type of finish that you wanted. It could be that simple. You’re going to get a phenomenal weapon either way at a really fair price.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:26 PM

@plantar5
I have no experience with Volkmann. I’ve heard Luke’s work wonderful. I think of him as more of a full custom option, and I can’t really say anything more about the guns.