Colt mags - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-28-2020, 08:51 PM

Colt mags

I just purchased a brand new Colt 70 series and received it last week. It only came with one magazine so I ordered three more from cdnn and they arrived today. They are original Colt magazines 7 round. When I open them the Springs are pretty squeaky and dry and they just don't feel like other magazines that I have. They just seem pretty cheap. I'm wondering if I should at least put some oil on the springs. I called Colt but held for 20 minutes the first time and 30 minutes the second time and then went to voicemail. No one called me back over a period of 2 days. Does anyone service the Springs before you use them for the first time ?
Old 02-28-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Serpent View Post
I just purchased a brand new Colt 70 series and received it last week. It only came with one magazine so I ordered three more from cdnn and they arrived today. They are original Colt magazines 7 round. When I open them the Springs are pretty squeaky and dry and they just don't feel like other magazines that I have. They just seem pretty cheap. I'm wondering if I should at least put some oil on the springs. I called Colt but held for 20 minutes the first time and 30 minutes the second time and then went to voicemail. No one called me back over a period of 2 days. Does anyone service the Springs before you use them for the first time ?
If they were actual Colt mags, they will be marked with an M for Metalform, or a C for Checkmate, as well as having the Colt pony. Colt mags are good quality and you'd more than likely not have any problems with them. Try them and see how they work.

If they say Colt .45 or are marked with just a horse, I'm guessing they would be phony.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 02-28-2020, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Agreed. CDNN sells phony junk right alongside legit branded product. They don't care what they sell as long as they sourced it cheap.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2020, 02:08 AM

You shouldn't have to "service" your magazine springs before use. I have no idea of which specific mags you purchased, but, there are a lot of $8 and $9 "no name" 1911 mags just about everywhere you look. I see tons of them thrown into bins at gunshows. A lot of them will have the generic words "Colt .45" on the non-removable baseplate. I have no idea where they're manufactured.

I bought a Colt Competition Series .45 a few months ago. It also came with just one magazine. It seemed to be well made and had a follower that resembled a McCormick Shooting Star mag. It had "Colt" and the prancing pony on the baseplate. I used it for the first 200 rounds, and it didn't give me any problems.

I have only 1 GI styled 1911, so I've got Wilson 47D's or Metalforms in the other ones. I will usually just leave the OEM mag(s) in the box. I've never had to do anything prior to using a new Wilson or Metalform mag.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:20 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback. These are not cheap knock-offs they were 24.95 each and are properly marked both in the packaging and on the magazine. They are exactly like the factory original when I received the gun. They do feel cheap however and feels like the sides of the follower of rubbing up against the inside of the housing. I have many other guns and magazines and none are quite like this. I guess the proof will be when I use them hopefully next week after I get over the flu. What fun!
Old 02-29-2020, 07:46 AM

OP. Are you sure you don't have coronavirus?

Anyway, speaking of China, they can produce some pretty real looking fakes.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:17 AM
Administrator

The point I was making earlier was that I've bought Colt-branded products from CDNN before that were actually fakes, including the packaging. There is a ton of phony Colt parts and accessories coming out of Asia, mostly from Thailand and the Philippines where genuine Colts are worth a huge amount of money.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:53 PM

You get what you pay for with magazines. A quality brand, and they usually will work in your gun. There are excepions tonthat rule. I like colts, shooting stars, wilsons, chip mccormicks(now wilson owned). Those are what i use for 1911 pistols. For the most part i just use wilsons. Cause if they break send them in for warrany. They offer parts for them too. Ive got some really old ones too. Still work too. Plus they are constantly redesigning stuff for the better.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Quote:
If they were actual Colt mags, they will be marked with an M for Metalform, or a C for Checkmate, as well as having the Colt pony. Colt mags are good quality and you'd more than likely not have any problems with them. Try them and see how they work.

If they say Colt .45 or are marked with just a horse, I'm guessing they would be phony.
Thanks Jason, I didn't know about the C & M markings. I've seen mags @ gun shows with the pony on them. Now I can verify real Colts.
I often learn things on this forum.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:41 PM

I have bought three recent Colts, all came with the C for Checkmate on them. I also order Checkmate mags from Brownells. There are slight differences, but both work well.
I use Wilson, Colt, Checkmate and Metalform. Never had any trouble with any of them.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The point I was making earlier was that I've bought Colt-branded products from CDNN before that were actually fakes, including the packaging. There is a ton of phony Colt parts and accessories coming out of Asia, mostly from Thailand and the Philippines where genuine Colts are worth a huge amount of money.

Amazing that a company that large can get away with that and even more amazing is that no one has called them on it and taken action against them
Old 02-29-2020, 06:31 PM

Since that original Colt mags are made by either Metalform or Check Mate, no wonder they’re squeaky, especially the Metalform ones.

They’re serviceable and that’s about it.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Amazing that a company that large can get away with that and even more amazing is that no one has called them on it and taken action against them
Well the last fakes I bought from them were some really ill-fitting "Colt" grips, but since they only cost me $20 I wasn't about to find a lawyer and go after them.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:24 PM

In my experience the Colt stainless steel magazines operate more smoothly than the blued ones. OP, which do you have?
Old 03-01-2020, 09:20 AM

CDNN is the last place I would buy magazines. Give Checkmate a call. They make excellent magazines and as been pointed out, Colt uses them for their OEM mags.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Well the last fakes I bought from them were some really ill-fitting "Colt" grips, but since they only cost me $20 I wasn't about to find a lawyer and go after them.
DSK........you are one step ahead of me, I have a bad habit of buying two of everything, so I have two pairs of the same grips.

Talk about junk!
Old 03-01-2020, 09:57 AM

This metalform mag is about 30 years old. It came apart during a recent trip to the range. Just normal wear and tear? I have others about that age that still work fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	metalform.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	576124
Old 03-01-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
In my experience the Colt stainless steel magazines operate more smoothly than the blued ones. OP, which do you have?

Blued
Old 03-01-2020, 02:36 PM

There was a discussion on this website I think on old Colt mags. You might search for that. I have ones from the old days. The important thing is it has a dot before and after the 45 AUTO as I recall.

The other two are one from Metalform and one from Checkmate.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:45 PM

Although I only use them for range mags, I have Colt mags that are 70 years old that still function 100% and I leave them loaded for extended periods. So if your 1911 is put together right, you should have no problems. I do use new Wilsons and Checkmates for my EDC guns. The only mags I have ever had problems with were gun show mags. Some were high priced some were bargain priced. I have been shooting 1911s since the 1960s so some of these mags have untold thousands of rounds through them.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Blaster View Post
This metalform mag is about 30 years old. It came apart during a recent trip to the range. Just normal wear and tear? I have others about that age that still work fine.

Attachment 576124
I used to swear by Metalforms, but then I had two where the baseplates suddenly parted company with the rest of the mag. I'm not the only one to have this problem so I no longer recommend them.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:07 AM

I have a new Colt Classic 70 series and I purchased 2 7 round Meggar mags from Greg Cote, really nice mags that work perfectly in the pistol.
Sparx
Old 03-02-2020, 09:44 AM

I exclusively use Check-Mate magazines on my 1911s. My preferences are towards 7 rounders for welded baseplate models, extended tubes for 8 round models. Bull nosed, dimpled followers (although frankly whether or not the followers have the dimple seems to be operationally irrelevant).

Best, Jon
Old 03-02-2020, 08:03 PM

The mag that came with my old 1991A1 is parkerized and simply stamped "COLT 45 AUTO"...no pony, no "C" or "M", and no dots at all. I bought a few more just like it (except blued) from CDNN a while back. They could be phony, but they work fine. They're made exactly the same, down to the 2 wide welds on each side of the floor plate.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:21 PM

best bet, WC. been using them for decades