1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-18-2020, 07:38 AM

Slide locking back around round 7

Hello gentlemen.

I recently purchased a para ordnance p-14 limited. I really like the gun but had some issues from the start. From another post on here I began the process of trouble shooting.

Original problem was usually around round 3 of the magazine, the gun would not fully go into battery. A slight push and it was back in battery and would shoot the rest of the rounds.

What I did:

Tore gun down, cleaned it really well
Oiled the contacting moving parts, lightly
Polished the feed ramp with Flix
Replaced the magazine springs

Gun ran through the 1st mag, just fine, thought she was fixed.

Next magazine, things changed.

Current Issue:

Usually on round 7, the slide will lock back and the bullet will be moved forward around a 1/4" or so from the mag but still on there.

So slide lock back and no bullet load.

Pull the slide back, release it, she feeds the rest of the rounds just fine.

She does this with about 70% of the magazine loads. Shot 200 rounds with it and was still doing it.

What, as a novice 1911 person, do I check now and what should I look for next?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:02 AM

Are you a righty or lefty?

It looks like you have an extended slide stop. My guess is your grip is contacting the slide stop while shooting and causing the slide to lock back.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:18 AM

Ah that is a thought. I am a lefty. I will pay special attention to that.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2020, 08:24 AM

If you were a righty, I would have suggested you shoot lefty to see if it still happens. Right handers are more likely to interfere with the slide stop.

As a lefty, I would have thought it less likely to happen. However, extended slide stops can contribute to this issue, if that is the issue.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:49 PM
1911 Aficionado

Are you using new/factory ammo, or handloads?
I had a Springfield hi-cap, used Para mags, and if I used mixed-brass handloads, the mags were hard to load, and sometimes the stack of rounds didn't lift as cleanly as it should, and I'd get malfunctions.

A Para-shooting buddy told me his secret for reliable function was to push his cases all the way through a Lee FCD with the guts removed; it would reduce and uniform the rims, and the gun would then feed very smoothly and the mags were a snap to load (18 rounds with extended basepads).

I think the issue was mostly beat-up and out-of-round case rims on old range pick-up brass.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:49 AM

Extended slide stops do cause problems. I'd get a stock slide stop to try and see if the problem goes away.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:49 AM

If it's "ALWAYS" toward the bottom of the mag, perhaps it's a case of either a weakening mag spring causing the round to scoot forward and snicking the stop, or limp wristing causing same?

More often than not it's the left thumb hitting the slide stop but the suggestions above are good ones.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
More often than not it's the left thumb hitting the slide stop but the suggestions above are good ones.
Note, he's a lefty.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:06 AM

I would be very surprised if this is a slide stop issue. I would think the issue would be random versus every 7th round?????

Since the mag springs have been changed, I'm at a loss with my limited experience.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:03 PM

It is the extended slide stop that is causing it. The following information is what I learned from reading some articles by 1911 Tuner and I can confirm from personal experience that it works like described below:

An ordinary (not extended) slide stop is held in place under recoil by the plunger. When the muzzle of the gun flips upward during recoil the slide stop of course moves with it. As your hand brings the upward motion of the gun to a halt the slide stop's upward momentum makes it want to continue to move upward and pivot upward on its pin but the plunger makes it stay down. An extended slide stop has additional mass and to make it worse that mass is at the end of the slide stop which gives it more leverage to work against the plunger. The additional mass being accelerated upward during recoil gives it more momentum to move upward and overcome the plunger and lock into the notch in the slide. But why only after seven rounds?? Consider the following: Force equals mass times acceleration. As you expend rounds the gun becomes lighter and lighter. But the recoil force has not changed. So if the force is the same but the gun is now lighter as the magazine nears empty then the gun has no choice but to accelerate upward more quickly than it would when it was heavier. This faster upward acceleration gives the extended slide stop with its own additional mass at the end of the lever the momentum it needs to finally overcome the plunger and lock the slide back. This effect is compounded with +P loads. Try some +P's and see if it won't lock back even sooner. Best thing to do is trash that extended slide stop and install a standard one.

And that gun is absolutely gorgeous by the way. Thanks for posting the pics.

Last edited by Tim_B; 02-19-2020 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling and a nice comment