Staccato P vs XC vs Costa Comp... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 04:09 PM

Staccato P vs XC vs Costa Comp...

I jumped out of the 1911 game for a while and gave Glocks a try. They work, and there’s a lot of things I like about them, but After a year I’m ready to get back into a 1911.... kinda.

I’ve been eyeballing the STI line pretty hard (as well as the Nighthawk double stack offerings), and need some input and I’m stuck in analysis paralysis right now.

I have astigmatism, so I’m not entirely sure about using red dots just yet. I played with a DPP and an RMR yesterday, and both were usable at 2-3 level below full bright. But, I’m still unsure about them.

That said, I’m kinda torn between a Staccato P 4.4”, or getting the DUO and slapping in a DPP.

OR, saving for another month and grabbing an XC model. But, just like my problem with the P vs the DUO, I’m torn between a gun designed for a red dot (XC), or, from what I can tell, essentially the same gun designed for iron sights (Costa Comp, or DVC P).

The input of those with astigmatism and red dots would be highly appreciated.

Otherwise, I’d love your thoughts on old vs new in general (I have no problems stippling an XC if the main complaint is how slick it might be), and overall words of wisdom about the above mentioned models for...

Target shooting,

Concealed carry,

Home defense,

General woods carry,

Fun.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky619 View Post
I jumped out of the 1911 game for a while and gave Glocks a try. They work, and there痴 a lot of things I like about them, but After a year I知 ready to get back into a 1911.... kinda.

I致e been eyeballing the STI line pretty hard (as well as the Nighthawk double stack offerings), and need some input and I知 stuck in analysis paralysis right now.

I have astigmatism, so I知 not entirely sure about using red dots just yet. I played with a DPP and an RMR yesterday, and both were usable at 2-3 level below full bright. But, I知 still unsure about them.

That said, I知 kinda torn between a Staccato P 4.4, or getting the DUO and slapping in a DPP.

OR, saving for another month and grabbing an XC model. But, just like my problem with the P vs the DUO, I知 torn between a gun designed for a red dot (XC), or, from what I can tell, essentially the same gun designed for iron sights (Costa Comp, or DVC P).

Otherwise, I壇 love your thoughts on old vs new in general (I have no problems stippling an XC if the main complaint is how slick it might be), and overall words of wisdom about the above mentioned models for...

Target shooting,

Concealed carry,

Home defense,

General woods carry,

Fun.
I値l leave off commenting on red dots as I don稚 have enough experience to steer You in the right direction or seem educated if I did try.

You have 4 very distinct categories you池e looking for input on. Side note all the STI doublestack gun痴 use the same texture grips. The latest rendition is supposed to have a good amount of grip, it was just their first try that left you wanting more grip.

Out of the 2 models you have listed I would go with the XC if you have the funds. I知 not sure if you have a lot of experience with comped guns but that model shoots ridiculously gift and flat. The XC would love some good and hot +P+ rounds for a woods gun. Not sure exactly what you池e looking for in a woods gun but personally I壇 go 10mm.

The only area either of the 2 models mentioned will slightly fall behind is concealed carry. I prefer their C2 sized guns for that but I usually carry AIWB in hot humid HOUSTON. I do carry a model with the exact same specs at the XC (Costa Carry Comp) in the winter with a light jacket or vest. You can easily take off the magwell for it to conceal easier.

There痴 only a 1/2 difference in barrel length for the 2 guns, you can稚 go wrong with either option you decide on.... There痴 always the standard enabler response of 敵et Both!
Old 02-17-2020, 12:08 AM

There痴 not much in Utah that I壇 feel under armed with while carrying a 9mm loaded to 杜ajor levels. For a general woods gun, I mean more for just general tasking (honestly, my biggest worry is something attacking my dogs).

I figure that I carried a full size 1911 for years, so it値l just be a matter of getting into the rhythm again.

I知 going to try to look through a few more red dots before picking. The Holosun I looked through was perfect, but mounting a RMR footprint on an STI makes it overly tall. I値l have to play with another DPP.

The Nighthawk IOS system looks incredible, but now I知 really reaching into my pockets.

So it痴 either a DPP or irons, which I think puts me into Costa territory.

Honestly, just typing it out gets me a bit closer to a decision.

And then there痴 the .45 ACP option 😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I jumped out of the 1911 game for a while and gave Glocks a try. They work, and there痴 a lot of things I like about them, but After a year I知 ready to get back into a 1911.... kinda.

I致e been eyeballing the STI line pretty hard (as well as the Nighthawk double stack offerings), and need some input and I知 stuck in analysis paralysis right now.

I have astigmatism, so I知 not entirely sure about using red dots just yet. I played with a DPP and an RMR yesterday, and both were usable at 2-3 level below full bright. But, I知 still unsure about them.

That said, I知 kinda torn between a Staccato P 4.4, or getting the DUO and slapping in a DPP.

OR, saving for another month and grabbing an XC model. But, just like my problem with the P vs the DUO, I知 torn between a gun designed for a red dot (XC), or, from what I can tell, essentially the same gun designed for iron sights (Costa Comp, or DVC P).

Otherwise, I壇 love your thoughts on old vs new in general (I have no problems stippling an XC if the main complaint is how slick it might be), and overall words of wisdom about the above mentioned models for...

Target shooting,

Concealed carry,

Home defense,

General woods carry,

Fun.
I had a VERY bad astigmatism in BOTH eyes. Red dots looked like blooming flower to me. I had Lasik done about 4 years ago and my Astigmatism is gone! I highly recommend it.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Target shooting,

Concealed carry,

Home defense,

General woods carry,

Fun.
I have an astigmatism as well. Although it took a few months to really get used to red dots on pistols, I have zero doubt it's the only way to go, same as an AR. At minimum it's worth buying the duo/ IOS simply to have the option. You can always use it in the irons configuration.

You're obviously talking about drastically different guns, in function and price.About an $1800 difference from the P duo to XC for the comp. Then, over $5000 to get into the Firehawk.

Here's why, when I was making the same decision, I went with the double stack FireHawk IOS.

- Quality control/ customer service. Strictly in my experiences, Nighthawk has a leg up in these categories.

- Although the DUO system is perfect with the compact optics, using regular height sights, the RMR plate is way too thick and places the RMR pretty much on top of the slide, using super tall sights. The IOS system puts an RMR very low while still using standard height sights.

- Polymer trigger vs aluminum. Hardly a big deal, but worth noting.

- Aesthetics. This is subjective. I like the looks of both but find the NH to be clean and streamlined.

- Availability. You can grab an XC/ P DUO (but you may need to pay over retail, wait or search hard for the P duo, at least today) NH, you're gonna have to order and wait, unless someone has one that I'm not aware of.

Don't get me wrong. I have the Staccato C duo and love it. I also heavily considered the XC, but ultimately ordered the Firehawk for the reasons above. I'd still be very happy to run the XC though.

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2020, 09:37 AM

Just a note on the polymer trigger. STI uses a polymer shoe in front of a stainless bow. This is done to keep the assembly as light as possible. This lets them have a light trigger pull with a faster reset.

With the metal grip on the Firehawk it adds a good amount of weight to the gun. Also with the metal frame and polymer grip on the STI there is a mitigation of force between the 2 dissimilar materials reducing felt recoil.

Cheers and happy shooting.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:31 PM

Costa carry comp is quite a shooter, one of my best for speed and accuracy, if you are not getting a 45, you should be fine, but in 45 the gun seems kinda like a tonka toy vs my many Wilson combats. Much of this (probably) has to do with the crappy G1 Mags (they still haven't made the 10R mags for this gun). The mags don't eject smoothly or insert smoothly. But it is also beyond that, the Recoil springs don't last with the 45 (how does 500-600 r sound?), and even beyond that the front sight cracked for no good reason, and beyond that, the frame cracked last fall. Gun has been back 3 times in 2 years, and may need to go back again because thy didn't fit the new slide correctly to the slide stop (or vise-verse depending on how you look at it ;-)). So the mags do not lock back in any consistent manner now, an entirely new problem since I got the gun back this time.

I want to love this gun. I DID love this gun because the way it shoots (and still do for the way it shoot (HST 230 loads feel like 9mm duty ammo)), but I'd have to be loony to bet my life on it for SD.

I'm thinking of using it as a training gun because the manual of arms needed to make this thing work properly varies quite a bit over the 2 hour range session and you never know exactly how it will manifest.Have to be ready for anything - good training tool!

So as long as you are not doing 45, you should be ok.

Fair and balanced.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 02-22-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:39 PM

Just spoke to Ricky, he is a great dude, it was a small miracle that I got into the shop, use to be easy, but not so much lately. I lamented to him about my lock-back problems and asked him if we can get it fixed over phone (not wanting to send back 4th time in 2 years).

I suggested if I can shave the slide stop at home and if he can ship me 2 new 10R 45 mags springs as these can not be purchased anywhere.

He believes a new G2 10R mag will fix the problem. GOOD NEWS: Final prototypes are being tested now, so they should be available soon. Horay! I can start loving my gun again! But he is going to try to ship me 2 prototypes if he can get them now - keeping my fingers crossed!!!
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 02-24-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:02 AM

No prototypes available, but he got back to me and said the 45 10R mags have now been approved for production!!! Should be available in a month or so.

I am so happy that STI has not abandon us 45 lovers who happen to live in Lefty States.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-26-2020, 07:47 AM

For your stated purpose, I'd probably go with the XC just for the better trigger and compensator. I've got a 4.15 and 4.45 Stacatto P DUO. The 4.45" gun balances better in the hand and shoots a little flatter. Since I got these two pistols with DPPs on them, I haven't been able to make myself shoot an iron sighted pistol. They will spoil you for sure.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertrace View Post
For your stated purpose, I'd probably go with the XC just for the better trigger and compensator. I've got a 4.15 and 4.45 Stacatto P DUO. The 4.45" gun balances better in the hand and shoots a little flatter. Since I got these two pistols with DPPs on them, I haven't been able to make myself shoot an iron sighted pistol. They will spoil you for sure.
Just picked up a 2020 P Duo to get me by until my double stack Firehawk IOS arrives. Yeah, I'm still amazed by the high % of irons still being used. Especially in the 1911/2011 world, the vast majority are still sold with irons.