Disappointed in the changes for STI in 2020; RIP STI - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-29-2020, 12:34 PM

I just jumped on board the STI train in 2019. DVC L, DVC P, amazing guns with amazing build quality. I had the itch.

I was holding on for 2020 waiting to see what STI would have in store for us, and now I wish I had scooped up a few more 2019 models I wanted because the 2020 line is very disappointing.

For starters, I do not like the G2 grips at all. The dragon scale grips are some of my favorite gun grips and G2 did not improve upon the grip experience as STI is actively marketing.

Next, merging the DVC line into the Stacatto line was a terrible idea. You had a clear branding differentiator with the different labels. DVC being more competition/high end, and Stacatto being more for LE, carry, etc. Now the higher end DVCs are watered down with the lower end Stacatto brand by sharing the same Stacatto name.

Also, it looks like they are done with the finishing options which were available with the DVC models. Terrible decision. DVC L in hard chrome was amazing.

Finally, rebranding from STI to Stacatto....awful. Stacatto is a terrible name for a gun manufacturer. STI was a name that people knew - and the brand reputation was mostly very positive. What they should have done was keep the STI name and produce DVCs (or whatever the 2020 models would have been called) and then branch off with a subsidiary of STI that marketed to LE, carry, tactical audiences, etc with the Stacatto models.

I’m not sure who made these decisions in 2020 but they were god awful. Private equity can be a real cancer to a company, and in this case, it looks to be so. I won’t be purchasing anymore from “Stacatto”. Now let’s just hope for previous owners and second hand owners that they don’t find a sneaky way to get rid of the lifetime warranty. That happens and I’m selling mine and not looking back. Unfortunately given that private equity is making the calls now, I’m expecting that to happen.

RIP STI...”Stacatto” is the future unfortunately.

Last edited by mgu8; 01-30-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:04 PM

10-8 Performance Lab has a YouTube video from SHOT Show. They said something about changing the DVC name because they needed to pay gratuities to use the name “DVC.”

I’m glad I got into the STI game in 2018 with an STI Tactical with the tree bark grip. I haven’t handled the new grips yet, but I love the feel and fit of the tree bark. I like that the texturing has that “custom” look, kind of like a fingerprint.

The above mentioned video stated that the move to the new grips was to save costs. The tree bark had to be textures one at a time, while the new grips can be mass produced.

Last edited by pnut; 01-29-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:01 PM

Am guessing that most everyone who owns an STI gun (like me) will continue to refer to the company as being STI (like I will).

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
The 9mm Punibellum is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2020, 07:05 PM

I have the new 2020 Staccato P and it’s an amazing firearm. I got to test fire a 2019 Staccato P before buying the new model and I prefer the newer one over the older one. Didn’t care for the huge magwell and I shoot the new one with greater accuracy.
I most certainly don’t claim to be any kind of expert or authority on STI as I never owned any of their guns until now but I’m very pleased with my Staccato P.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgu8 View Post
I just jumped on board the STI train in 2019. DVC L, DVC P, amazing guns with amazing build quality. I had the itch.

I was holding on for 2020 waiting to see what STI would have in store for us, and now I wish I had scooped up a few more 2019 models I wanted because the 2020 line is very disappointing.

For starters, I do not like the G2 grips at all. The dragon scale grips are some of my favorite gun grips and G2 did not improve upon the grip experience as STI is actively marketing.

Next, merging the DVC line into the Stacatto line was a terrible idea. You had a clear branding differentiator with the different labels. DVC being more competition/high end, and Stacatto being more for LE, carry, etc. Now the higher end DVCs are watered down with the lower end Stacatto brand by sharing the same Stacatto name.

Also, it looks like they are done with the finishing options which were available with the DVC models. Terrible decision. DVC L in hard chrome was amazing.

Finally, rebranding from STI to Stacatto....awful. Stacatto is a terrible name for a gun manufacturer. STI was a name that people knew - and the brand reputation was mostly very positive. What they should have done was keep the STI name and produce DVCs (or whatever the 2020 models would have been called) and then branch off with a subsidiary of STI that marketed to LE, carry, tactical audiences, etc with the Stacatto models.

Iím not sure who made these decisions in 2020 but they were god awful. Private equity can be a real cancer to a company, and in this case, it looks to be so. I wonít be purchasing anymore from ďStacattoĒ. Now letís just hope for previous owners and second hand owners that they donít find a sneaky way to get rid of the lifetime warranty. That happens and Iím selling mine and not looking back. Unfortunately given that private equity is making the calls now, Iím expecting that to happen.

RIP STI
You have a lot of negative things to say for a 1 post member.

Their older models may have been a little prettier, but in my experience the Stacatto line is running like a sewing machine. I like the look and feel of the G2 grip, but I carry my pistol 50+ hours a week at work. You can easily change the grip with one from Extreme Shooters.

As far as the name goes, I like the STI name because it's short and sweet. But sexually transmitted infection isn't something to hold on to.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:04 AM

My STI-CC:

1) Awsome shooter...
2) Not built very robustly, back 3X in 2 years, once for cracked slide.
3) Re-branding STI to ACME-Cappuccino-Company ;-) (or whatever the name is), dumbest idea ever. They can't possibly be this market-ignorant, I would suggest there is a hidden agenda involved.

I wouldn't buy another until they show their cards about the re-branding, (and) unless they start building more robust guns. Granted, I only have a sample of one, and i acknowledge that, but I'd be kinda foolish to buy another right now.

Remember the Road-Runner cartoons - LOL!:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acme_Corporation
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 01-30-2020 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Iím selling mine and not looking back. Unfortunately given that private equity is making the calls now, Iím expecting that to happen.

RIP STI
That is a great idea, please PM me.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:31 AM

“You have a lot of negative things to say for a 1 post member. ”

Join date was back in October 2019 when I started getting interested. I have been a lurker so I haven’t felt the need to post but after seeing the Shot Show and seeing comments here regarding rebranding and warranty, I wanted to share my dissatisfaction. As a past customer I have the right to do that just as much as you do.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Quote:
I’m selling mine and not looking back. Unfortunately given that private equity is making the calls now, I’m expecting that to happen.

RIP STI
That is a great idea, please PM me.
I’m waiting on the outcome of their lifetime warranty after this rebranding/private equity destruction as mentioned above.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:00 PM

I agree with you in terms of the DVC line. I purchased my first STI's last year (Combat Master and DVC Limited) and they are amazing guns. I prefer the 2 to 2.5 lb trigger on the competition guns as well as the dragon scale grips, large magwells and styling.

STI has tried to keep some of these elements in the R, XC and XL (e.g. 2,5 lb trigger) but IMO they would have been better off maintaining these 3 models in the DVC line long with the elements I mentioned above.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:19 PM

Reading their warranty on the website, it appears to me that there is effectively no warranty. Detail disassembly voids the warranty, as does any sort of modification, even cosmetic. Standard stuff about reloads or abuse, though accident seems somewhat new.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloader View Post
Reading their warranty on the website, it appears to me that there is effectively no warranty. Detail disassembly voids the warranty, as does any sort of modification, even cosmetic. Standard stuff about reloads or abuse, though accident seems somewhat new.

I just wonder why we canít get anyone from STI to respond or provide any information regarding the changes.

Iíve reached out to Buck, Ricky and even through the FB and not a single person responded. I left my phone number and email and nothing.

I jumped into STI after I was told the magazine issue had been addressed and that the new management had fixed a lot of the QC issues. Now itís a bit concerning because it seems like they are going to not providing information to current owners so we know how these changes will impact us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adian View Post
I just wonder why we canít get anyone from STI to respond or provide any information regarding the changes.

Iíve reached out to Buck, Ricky and even through the FB and not a single person responded. I left my phone number and email and nothing.

I jumped into STI after I was told the magazine issue had been addressed and that the new management had fixed a lot of the QC issues. Now itís a bit concerning because it seems like they are going to not providing information to current owners so we know how these changes will impact us

They are most-likely hiding something...And it probably isn't a positive for customers. Hopefully not too bad but who knows.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 01-31-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
They are most-likely hiding something...And it probably isn't a positive for customers. Hopefully not too bad but who knows.

There will be a FB live video done today to talk about the warranty

Old 01-31-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adian View Post
I just wonder why we can’t get anyone from STI to respond or provide any information regarding the changes.

I’ve reached out to Buck, Ricky and even through the FB and not a single person responded. I left my phone number and email and nothing.

I jumped into STI after I was told the magazine issue had been addressed and that the new management had fixed a lot of the QC issues. Now it’s a bit concerning because it seems like they are going to not providing information to current owners so we know how these changes will impact us
I am thinking there is a lot of restructuring at various levels going on, in addition to what we have seen in the lineup changes. Due to the success of John Wick 3, they may be experiencing growing pains.

Am willing to bet they will stand behind their products, as I just bought my first STI.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
The 9mm Punibellum is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 01-31-2020, 03:06 PM

I have to agree I prefer the Gen1 Staccato P an the DVC pistols over the new Staccato offerings. Mainly because the prices went up ad features were removed.

In regard to the Staccato P, I picked up my first one a month ago. I fell in love with it because of how fast it shoots and how little recoil it has compared to just about every non-comped 1911/2011 I own or have shot.

As soon as I saw the Gen2 Staccato P, I ran out and bought a second Staccato P Gen1 before they dried up. Why?

- I MUCH prefer the aggressive look of the Gen1 (full rail, magwell, same length slide and dustcover). Gen2,with longer slide/barrel looks more like a range/target/competition gun.
- Gen1 the barrel is DLC coated, Gen2 it is NOT.
- Gen1 has the $79 magwell, Gen2 does not.
- Much prefer Gen1 hammer
- Much prefer Gen1 Grip Safety
- Much prefer Tree Bark Grip
- Don't like Butler Cut rail on the Gen2

I have noticed they have tried to use as many of the same components as possible on ALL of the staccato pistol line to streamline production and save money. As a result, I think as customers we lose out; we pay the same price or more for the Gen2 pistol and lose some very nice features. We also lose out on the more custom look and features of the DVC line.

While I prefer the Tree Bark Grip, I also like the Gen2 Grip as long as it has the slim tactical magwell on it! I also bought a spare grip, the Tan Costa Grip in case I want to switch things up a little

My New STI Staccato Ps - I grabbed them before they dried up

Boy are these guns Super Fast and Flat Shooting - Recoil is Super Mild and Happens VERY Quickly

As of Yesterday I have over 1K rounds down-range with them combined

They LOVE all the different SYNTECH Loads - Been running 115gr Range, 124gr Range and 150gr Action Pistol

Been Carrying my P Daily for 3 weeks now

Love my DVC L that started my STI bug 3 months ago

First 3 shots were DEAD CENTER

Last edited by Harrish; 01-31-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:30 PM

In reference to the warranty, I have been researching and contemplating the purchase of a Staccato P Duo. I prefer the stainless/hard chrome look which is not offered on the P Duo (but appears to be on the XL). Due to the warranty statements (no cosmetic alterations), I emailed the warranty department concerning how my having the gun hard chromed would affect the warranty. Herewith their reply:

Fw: 2020 Staccato P / P Duo
[email protected]
on behalf of
Warranty Claim <[email protected]>
Reply all|
Wed 1/29, 9:50 AM

We do not offer hard chrome on this model. If the hard chrome causes issues it could void your warranty. If something happens to the gun and it is not related to the hard chrome it will still be covered.

Kind Regards

For those more knowledgeable than I, how could hard chroming the pistol cause issues? Obviously I would be at their mercy if they threw the hard chroming flag. In my original email, I told them I would be happy to have STI hard chrome it, have them send it for hard chroming or I would send it to a hard chrome vendor of their choosing to stay in their good graces with the warranty.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:00 PM

Hard chrome adds dimensional thickness. If you hard chromed it and something was dragging, binding or wouldnít fit correctly it would not be covered.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:59 PM

Thats a common sense response and use of a warrant. I'm sure the "reloaded" ammo clause would be used the same way.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
Hard chrome adds dimensional thickness. If you hard chromed it and something was dragging, binding or wouldnít fit correctly it would not be covered.
Theyre already fit with DLC, which also adds a "measurement" of thickness. I think you'd be alright as long as you stick with one of the major coating companies.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrish View Post
I have to agree I prefer the Gen1 Staccato P an the DVC pistols over the new Staccato offerings. Mainly because the prices went up ad features were removed.

In regard to the Staccato P, I picked up my first one a month ago. I fell in love with it because of how fast it shoots and how little recoil it has compared to just about every non-comped 1911/2011 I own or have shot.

As soon as I saw the Gen2 Staccato P, I ran out and bought a second Staccato P Gen1 before they dried up. Why?

- I MUCH prefer the aggressive look of the Gen1 (full rail, magwell, same length slide and dustcover). Gen2,with longer slide/barrel looks more like a range/target/competition gun.
- Gen1 the barrel is DLC coated, Gen2 it is NOT.
- Gen1 has the $79 magwell, Gen2 does not.
- Much prefer Gen1 hammer
- Much prefer Gen1 Grip Safety
- Much prefer Tree Bark Grip
- Don't like Butler Cut rail on the Gen2

I have noticed they have tried to use as many of the same components as possible on ALL of the staccato pistol line to streamline production and save money. As a result, I think as customers we lose out; we pay the same price or more for the Gen2 pistol and lose some very nice features. We also lose out on the more custom look and features of the DVC line.

While I prefer the Tree Bark Grip, I also like the Gen2 Grip as long as it has the slim tactical magwell on it! I also bought a spare grip, the Tan Costa Grip in case I want to switch things up a little [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

My New STI Staccato Ps - I grabbed them before they dried up

Boy are these guns Super Fast and Flat Shooting - Recoil is Super Mild and Happens VERY Quickly

As of Yesterday I have over 1K rounds down-range with them combined

They LOVE all the different SYNTECH Loads - Been running 115gr Range, 124gr Range and 150gr Action Pistol

Been Carrying my P Daily for 3 weeks now

Love my DVC L that started my STI bug 3 months ago

First 3 shots were DEAD CENTER

Very exciting purchases. I wish I had scooped up a P Duo that I had access to in late 2019 but passed up waiting to see what was coming for 2020. Like I said before, I won’t purchase any more guns from “Stacatto 2011” ( ... seriously, terrible name. )
Old 01-31-2020, 09:26 PM

Well I never saw the live pop up on FB about the Warranty as had been said. Maybe next week

Old 01-31-2020, 09:42 PM

As I read the warranty, removing the grip voids the warranty. To chrome the gun, the grip would need to be removed.

What am I missing, other than they seem to be discretionary in application of the policy?
Old 01-31-2020, 10:56 PM

I wish the folks at STI/Staccato all the best, but aside from picking up a single-stack (whatever that Staccato model is called this week) in the near future, I think I'm done with them for a while due to the constantly-increasing prices and ever-shifting lineup.

At this point in my 2011 aficionado journey, Triarc looks interesting. Just wish the dealers were not so few and far between.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:31 AM

why would removing the grip void the warranty. That is just odd, no??