Pro Carry II or Pro CDP for CC? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-16-2020, 10:27 AM

Pro Carry II or Pro CDP for CC?

I have a SCCY CPX-2 and a PPK/S for CC, but been thinking about adding a 9mm compact size 1911 style to my stable. I've never had a Kimber, but do own a couple GI 1911s. I've narrowed down my search to a Kimber Pro Carry II (maybe stainless) or a Pro CDP.

I'm not a fan of two-tones. The Pro CDP seems to only come in two-tone but it has some nice features for CC that the lower grade PC II does not. The only thing on the PC II that I'm not crazy about are the plain sights. But I don't think that would be a problem to change.

This all boils down to my own decision, but I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on these two, pros/cons of either and perhaps any mods you might recommend. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:01 AM

It's your decision of course, but I went with both Ultra CDP, and Pro CDP and could not be happier. I also went with one of each in 9mm and .45.

For summer carry, I like either one of my Ultra's or my Micro 9, reserving the Pro models for heavier winter clothing, all being carried in Milt Sparks VM2 IWB rigs.

The Ultra models are almost as small as the M9.

My Pro CDP's, nine and .45.

Night sights have a half-life of 12 years, but if it's needed to replace, do yourself a favor and have a qualified smith install them. You'll be glad you did.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:57 PM

Looks like you have all the bases covered - Lol! I like my PPK/S for summer use or when I need something smaller. What makes changing the sights difficult? Are they just very tight in the dovetails?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
What makes changing the sights difficult? Are they just very tight in the dovetails?
Very tight would be an understatement.

Unless you have a dedicated sight pusher, best not to dink about trying to change them out. There's also a very tiny screw/spring under the rear sight that is just waiting to fly to some unreachable place in your gun room as soon as it's let loose.

I've sent the Mothership a couple of my Kimber slides to either have night sights installed, or replaced due to failure at the end of the half-life....about 12 years usually. Turnaround has always been less than two weeks, and it's done right.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:00 PM

Good to know - thanks.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:50 AM

My church duty/carry 1911 is a Pro Carry. It turned out to be such a good gun I have upgraded the sights to night sights and done a couple other personal preference tweaks to it.

The Pro Carry is two tone unless you get the stainless, which is higher of course.

In hind sight if I had known how good a gun my Pro Carry was going to be, I would have upgraded to a model with more features at purchase. So of the two you mentioned I would go CDP.

Another option, the TLE package offers the most features for the least money in the Kimber line up IMO, and is available in solid black or all stainless. Something to ponder.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Old 01-17-2020, 12:57 PM

Of course it's cheaper to get a gun that has what you want on it from the factory. If it actually has what you want, Kimber doesn't offer the sites I like. The CustomII actually has everything except some Hienie Ledge night sites. Same can be said for my Kimber Compact.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:57 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate your insight and advice. I've been to a couple LGSs, but neither are stick to handle first hand. But a gun show is coming up soon, so hopefully I can see them there.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:36 PM

Of those 2 go with the CDP the night sights and front strap checkering are worth the extra cash but the best deal as otheres have said is the TLE. The TLE is the sweet spot in the kimber lineup. the models higher up the price list are the same basic gun with features which in my opinion are over priced for what you get. by the time you are at $1200 - $1500 abd are in the Dan Wesson price territory and at that price go with the DW.

Last edited by geen; 03-28-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:56 PM

I have the ProCarryII in .45 and 9mm. Both CMD. Absolutely love them both. Zero issues and both are in my EDC rotation. Cuz sometimes you feel like a .45, and sometimes you dont....