Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-10-2019, 12:47 PM

Experior

New line, sounds interesting

https://youtu.be/iSp2mizINuc

I don't know about the checkering, already have a few options, but the other changes sound good, those more familiar with 1911 engineering will have more informed opinions!
Old 12-10-2019, 01:16 PM

*sigh*

Here Bill, take more of my money....
Old 12-10-2019, 01:29 PM

It is getting complicated! :-)

But option's are good....

I guess these came out to add Karmic-balance to the budget line which came out 2 weeks ago. ...

Another strap treatment also, we will have to see how it performs vs Xtac, I don't think it will be as good, but one never knows.

Less rail friction, and designed to run dirtier and to hold more oil on the rails, meh, I always put too much oil on my 1911's anyway... Not sure that it matter for those who shoot 45 and clean the 1911 every 1,000 rounds or less. Guess if you like to run em dirty with many thousands of rounds btwn cleaning and oiling - it could be a plus...I do like the serration's, I've always found that wider serrations on the slide provide better friction.

Less rail friction is good for the low power 9mm loads though....And the double stack 9mm may satisfy people who like the X9, but just not enough to buy it.

I'm sure some of the features are desirable and wouldn't mind cherry picking some for a build, but if it is all or nothing (is it??), I'd likely pass. For one thing, Xtac grip is just too good to ever pass up on another new WC gun :-).

I'd like to see something more dramatic come out from WC like a double stack 45 with a comp.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/experio...eid=0e730d03cd
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 12-10-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2019, 01:57 PM

I see that on the Experior series WC went back to internal ejectors on the double stacks unlike the external ejector on the EDC X9.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:14 PM

Mixed opinions on this for me.

First, WC is just opening too many pistol lines, this particular "Experior" line has 10 models, the costs to do so are not cheap. However, I do like a few things I see here.

I like that the Full size double-stack has an interior extractor (unlike the X9L). Actually the entire line has an interior extractor.

I like the frame rail "Wave Cuts" to improve reliability, allows gunk a place to get out of the way.

The "Track Grip" checkering looks like a copy of Guncrafter's "Frag" pattern.

Looks like they figured out how to line up the ball cuts to the dust cover. All the photos look good.

I don't like the "Experior" name.

I think there is an option for most people to like.

But I also think that if they are going to do this right, they need to come up with a way to make a double-stack 45 acp option.

It's gonna take me a day or two to digest all this. There's a lot to look at here.

Last edited by tjpaxton; 12-10-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:26 PM

Nice looking pistol. Some good features for the 9mm but I feel that they are making to many models - Kimber did the same thing back then and now - there quality went down hill. Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-10-2019, 02:32 PM

Interesting. Personally I prefer ultra aggressive 20LPI or 25 over X-tac so I'm not sure this new option will appeal or not. I like the wide serrations and the rail makes sense on a 9mm but not really for a .45 in my personal experience since I've gone in excess of 5k without lube no issues across all my WC and Brown .45s

I really like the serrations though.......if this was offered with a threaded barrel and rail with a double stack .45 option it would replace my Ed Brown. I'm just waiting for the day all my guns for every use are Wilson......the big thing I fail to see about these is aside from the wave cut what makes this different from an X-tac or CQB elite?

Personally I'm a CQB-E guy with wide controls and tigger guard checkering for the record. Magwell depends on the use of the gun
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 12-10-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Nice looking pistol. Some good features for the 9mm but I feel that they are making to many models - Kimber did the same thing back then and now - there quality went down hill. Just my 2 cents...
Not really a issue since they make them all the same, it's just removal or addition of machine done options mostly. I am confident quality will be unaffected by more options. Now we have access to even more features like the new grip pattern and rail type if desired.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 12-10-2019, 03:21 PM

Bill solved the 45 acp 1911 Achilles heel when he introduced the 45 Flatwire/squarewire/HD+P Magazine set some years ago. 45 just doesn't have the same Achilles heel that 9mm has concerning slide friction causing problem's. More powerful heavier cartridges: more challenging to shove them up a magazine for feeding, but no issues cycling the slide. 9mm is the opposite, lighter cartridges easier to push up the stack, but with the relatively lower PF's could use help with friction relief to cycle the slide.

For us shooting mostly 45, these reliability enhancements with this family of pistol's are not really necessary. Bill already took care of us as mentioned above.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 12-10-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:37 PM

I had to call with another question so asked about mixing and matching Experior features, in particular the checkering and he said no.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:44 PM

Not for me, but Bill knows how to expand the market then sell his gear...for sure!

I'm proud to call my best 1911's, Wilson Combat.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:44 PM

What’s the difference between and EDC-X9 and Experior Compact Double Stack?
Colt Combat Commander 70 38 Super
Colt Custom Competition SS
Old 12-10-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMac View Post
I had to call with another question so asked about mixing and matching Experior features, in particular the checkering and he said no.
I doubt they'll offer mix-and-match at first, to force the hand of on-the-fence buyers; down the road this'll probably loosen.

Why the heck won't they put a beavertail grip safety on their double-stack 9s? Freezes me right out...
Old 12-10-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budrichard View Post
Exterior versus interior extractors, respectively -- otherwise, it appears only aesthetics.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:54 PM

Prior to purchasing a traditional 1911 in 9mm, I looked hard at the EDC 9. The Tri-Top and external extractor were enough for me to hold off. Then I attended the Bash a couple of years ago and shot the EDC X9. Dang close again to getting a 9mm that wasn't a BHP. I did make the mistake of shooting Roger and Jim's traditional 1911's in 9mm. Crap, now I have three.

I've experienced no issues with my 9mm Wilson's. I'm very thankful for all the work Wilson put in to making a 9mm 1911 work.

The Experior is another temptation. I don't believe any of the single stack models offer me any advantages over my current pistols. However, I need to stay away from the Compact Double Stack. Is the magwell removable? Looks to add a bit of width which I wouldn't need for a concealed weapon. Nevermind, I'm not looking.

JW

Last edited by Pit; 12-10-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpaxton View Post

The "Track Grip" checkering looks like a copy of Guncrafter's "Frag" pattern.

It's gonna take me a day or two to digest all this. There's a lot to look at here.
Me too, will take a little time for me to digest all this in the various sizes.

I thought the same thing about the Track pattern, looks very similar to the frag pattern; still interesting adaptation of the XTAC pattern but with more surface area on the tops of the flats of the grip pattern area. I will definitely look at one in person when I'm in Berryville in June. Not quite as "busy" as the XTAC pattern, so perhaps a little less time on the machining on the frame for the grip area.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:04 PM

I must say that I’m pretty satisfied with the Wilson’s that I have. More of a traditionalist although I do have an X9. Not seeing anything that makes me want to order a new gun and being retired that is a good thing.

Will be interested in shooting one to see how the grip treatment feels in the hand but am doubtful that it will be better than the X-tac, but still a nice option. Still prefer an aggressive checkering.

I am confident that the new line will be a good seller.

New models are not a bad thing as long as the old standards remain in place.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 12-10-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budrichard View Post

Experior:

Interior extractor
Frag pattern grip
Wide Cocking serrations
Magwell (may not be able to order without){someone needs to call and find out if magwell can be deleted}

Last edited by tjpaxton; 12-10-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:44 PM

I don't think WC quality will suffer even if they added dozens of new models. They sure do there homework before a release. The old saying build it and they will come/buy. Bill sure don't sit on his butt - he goes after the market.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpaxton View Post
Experior:

Exterior extractor
Frag pattern
Magwell (may not be able to order without)
The Experior has internal extractor, yes? If it had an exterior extractor it would be no different in that aspect than the X9 which has exterior extractor.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:50 PM

I'd trade my EDC X9 for the Experior Double Stack Commander.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
The Experior has internal extractor, yes? If it had an exterior extractor it would be no different in that aspect than the X9 which has exterior extractor.

My error, nice catch, Experior has Interior extractor. The pistol's name caused me a typo.

Last edited by tjpaxton; 12-10-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:53 PM

I believe they call it an Experior extractor and it is internal, but what is an Experior Extractor as compared to a traditional extractor. I did not see anything in the video.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 12-10-2019, 05:03 PM

Oh wait a moment. This pistol in double stack form is internal extractor? That implies to me a standard slide assembly............interesting. I'm going to have to sell my X9 and get one of these and try my hand at asking loudly for a steel frame instead. That upper sells it for me and if I can just get a material change and some other stuff this could finally hit the mark for a 9mm for me.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
The Experior has internal extractor,.
That's a tongue twister.