10mm D/W last round FTF - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-29-2020, 04:51 PM
kenner kenner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Iron Mountain, MI.
Posts: 57
10mm D/W last round FTF

I'm having feeding problems with last round only.
Dan Wesson 10mm 4.25" Bobtail s/s. I have just over 1,000 rounds through pistol since new, I'm using all new ammo and factory D/W mags and 2 new Meg gar magazines.
About 85% of the time on the last round the round will enter the chamber about 1/4 to 1/2 way in and jamb up the slide, the round looks a little bit at an angle, higher towards the back, kind of like a little bit of nose dive, it does it with all 4 different magazines.
Otherwise the pistol runs flawless, not sure of what the problem is or what to do about it.
Pistol is about 5 months old.
kenner

I have a picture on my email if interested, I do not know how to get it over to this website, (sorry)
my email is [email protected]

Last edited by kenner; 05-29-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-29-2020, 10:02 PM
blindman75 blindman75 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Age: 45
Posts: 23
I'm having the exact same problem with a DW Pointman 7 in 10mm. I had the gun for around ten years and bought used. Not ever a problem until I bought 2 new WC magazines. Now the factory mags and WC mags do what your describing. The last round almost always hangs up. Sometimes the third to last round hangs up. I've cleaned, lubed and replaced the recoil spring. I'm about to install a EGW mag catch that was suggested by someone here on the forum. Hopefully will install this weekend.

https://www.egwguns.com/hd-higher-ma...checkered-blue
HD Higher Shelf Mag Catch Checkered SS Extended

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by blindman75; 05-29-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-30-2020, 10:03 AM
kenner kenner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Iron Mountain, MI.
Posts: 57
10mm

Let me know how the mag. catch works out for you, you might be on to something.
kenner
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-30-2020, 01:05 PM
earlyjune earlyjune is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindman75 View Post
I'm having the exact same problem with a DW Pointman 7 in 10mm. I had the gun for around ten years and bought used. Not ever a problem until I bought 2 new WC magazines. Now the factory mags and WC mags do what your describing. The last round almost always hangs up. Sometimes the third to last round hangs up. I've cleaned, lubed and replaced the recoil spring. I'm about to install a EGW mag catch that was suggested by someone here on the forum. Hopefully will install this weekend.

https://www.egwguns.com/hd-higher-ma...checkered-blue
HD Higher Shelf Mag Catch Checkered SS Extended

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That is interesting, are you using a different ammo than you used to run?

I have the best luck using the factory Metalform magazines.

Last edited by earlyjune; 05-30-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-30-2020, 05:44 PM
blindman75 blindman75 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Age: 45
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyjune View Post
That is interesting, are you using a different ammo than you used to run?

I have the best luck using the factory Metalform magazines.
I'm using the same ammo. Sig, Underwood and Georgia Arms all with the same result.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-30-2020, 06:17 PM
blindman75 blindman75 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Age: 45
Posts: 23
So I recieved and installed the new mag catch today and slide would not close.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-30-2020, 06:27 PM
blindman75 blindman75 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Age: 45
Posts: 23
I believe the extractor tension is OK but I'm no gunsmith. I can fit a round under the extractor and it will not fall out. Doesn't seem to tight either. I'm bumfuzzeled.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-31-2020, 01:20 PM
earlyjune earlyjune is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindman75 View Post
I believe the extractor tension is OK but I'm no gunsmith. I can fit a round under the extractor and it will not fall out. Doesn't seem to tight either. I'm bumfuzzeled.
I know you were saying it used to run well with the factory Metalform mags, I would try to run just those mags again the next time you take it out to see if it is still having the FTF.

What weight recoil spring did you install?

Last edited by earlyjune; 05-31-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-31-2020, 03:45 PM
blindman75 blindman75 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Age: 45
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyjune View Post
I know you were saying it used to run well with the factory Metalform mags, I would try to run just those mags again the next time you take it out to see if it is still having the FTF.

What weight recoil spring did you install?
First I installed a 20lb spring and then switched to 22lb. My brass is still flying 15 yards + so I may try a 24 lb.

I polished the breach face today and ran 3 mags with no ftf. That's a first in a long time. 4th mag last round jammed. 5th mag multiple rounds jammed. I think I'm going to polish again and see if things improve. The ftf occured with both factory and WC mags.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-31-2020, 06:44 PM
DWboy DWboy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SW PA
Posts: 102
Try a heavier mainspring first. Then next a square bottom FPS from EGW. These will help slow the slide and help reduce the long brass ejection. The heavier the recoil spring the more the felt recoil and the harder it is on the gun components as it slams the slide back into battery.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-01-2020, 07:51 AM
kenner kenner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Iron Mountain, MI.
Posts: 57
mag. catch

It seems strange that the slide will not close with the new mag. catch.
never heard of that happening before.
kenner
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-01-2020, 11:00 AM
drail drail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,222
Try an extra power magazine spring in one magazine. If that magazine works replace all of them. Slowing the slide velocity down with a heavier mainspring may help also.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-01-2020, 11:08 AM
Magnumite Magnumite is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Belcamp, Maryland, USA
Posts: 8,038
^^ +1 both measures.
__________________
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-01-2020, 12:00 PM
gtmtnbiker98 gtmtnbiker98 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 130
Bolt over base stoppages are most always magazine related. Tripp magazines are rumored to be the standard for 10mm 1911's, but I do not have first hand knowledge with them.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-01-2020, 04:00 PM
earlyjune earlyjune is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
Bolt over base stoppages are most always magazine related. Tripp magazines are rumored to be the standard for 10mm 1911's, but I do not have first hand knowledge with them.
I've had more FTF running Tripp Cobra mags than the factory Dan Wesson Metalform mags.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-01-2020, 04:16 PM
RickB's Avatar
RickB RickB is offline
1911 Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Not Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 21,875
Yeah, heavier mainspring and proportionately lighter recoil spring.
10mm 1911s eject a long way. I've run a 25# main and 23# recoil spring, and even without smoking hot loads, ejection distance is fifteen feet.
__________________
If you're not shooting you should be moving. If you're not moving you should be reloading. If you're not shooting, moving, or reloading, you should be taping or picking brass. - Z.C.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-02-2020, 10:25 AM
Keith DW Keith DW is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Home of the DW
Posts: 1,288
Every gun is going to be different.

For a full size gun 22-24# recoil spring. Commander 24# and up.

Lubricate heavily with top quality lubricant. The at PM7 looks dry. Lube the barrel hood as well.

Metal form mags. Mecgars work pretty well too. All others seem to be problematic.

Keep your wrists locked, especially with a commander. Form is critical to make these feed reliably.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-03-2020, 09:08 PM
blindman75 blindman75 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Age: 45
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith DW View Post
Every gun is going to be different.



For a full size gun 22-24# recoil spring. Commander 24# and up.



Lubricate heavily with top quality lubricant. The at PM7 looks dry. Lube the barrel hood as well.



Metal form mags. Mecgars work pretty well too. All others seem to be problematic.



Keep your wrists locked, especially with a commander. Form is critical to make these feed reliably.
What is the stock # of the main spring?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-04-2020, 11:30 AM
Keith DW Keith DW is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Home of the DW
Posts: 1,288
The weight of the mainspring depends on the model and year it was produced. Current CZ/DW full size guns use a 18# spring. All officer and Bobtails use a 23# officer spring.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-04-2020, 11:39 AM
PM7-10 PM7-10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,016
stickies:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=209416
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved