1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-27-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Ha!! "about"?? Try THE cheapest...$35 MSRP. I had never heard of RŲhm Gesellschaft until a few years ago. My buddy asked me to help him move some very heavy bronze sculptures. He said if I would volunteer my time, my truck and my back he would give me a nice condition .38 revolver he was willing to part with. I asked what kind, and he said couldnt remember the name, but it started with "R". My mind immediately went to "Ruger", and I said OK, sure.

I almost blew out a testical trying to help a 72-year-old man move these battleship anchors. So when he handed me THIS I apparently couldnt hide the disappointment on my face.

Looks like your 72-year-old buddy got the better end of the deal!! Honestly, you are a good buddy for helping him move.

But you got a pretty cool souvenir. I helped my 73-year-old buddy move, and he gave me a set of snow chains that don't even fit my tires. I couldn't find a buyer on Craigslist and ended up dumping the chains at a recycling facility and the greasy 50-cal ammo can they were in.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:55 PM

Check out Garand Thumb’s YouTube vid on on HP on his Channel. You will get the idea. No comment needed.

Last edited by JohnKII; 05-27-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:13 PM

Late to the party on this one but still around. I enjoy all guns.And the throw away theory if you blast somebody heck you can toss it away. Do that with a Mint WW2 PPK or a custom 45 auto engraved with Ivory Grips nope.even had a Taurus 38 special when i was 16 or so. And the guys in the neighborhood said wow you da King. Since they had Switchblades,Razors, Bike chains.And i had a four inch barrel blued real gun.

Had one of those German RG 22 shorts also. I thought it was cheap compared. to the Beretta my Mom carried in her purse in the 60's. I would study Gun Digest and mark off what i wanted when i really grew up to the Big Guy guns.now well over fifty plus years later.

I still check all the stuff out.
And carry a simple Mod19 Glock second gen.That set me back a $100 bucks.I still can hit what i aim at.As i did in the Marines.

even did ala {Baby Face Nelson}for awhile and a 38 super and Colt 1911, and played Bond for a good 18 plus year a PPK in .380

The only thing i would worry or even think about with a guy with a hi point.If he can hit with it great.

Even Sgt. Alvin York probably never asked himself what he was using, just that he hit with it on every round he put out there.

I was always impressed with the tale of five Germans charging him. and he stopped them all with his seven shot 1911. In the Movie he had a Luger maybe the Officer let him try it out.

Just think when young maybe ten we had a hi point to get good on. By time we got to a 1911 we would be Da King!
RON K.
Attached Thumbnails
0215182026.jpg  
Old 05-27-2020, 06:31 PM

I own a Hi-Point JCP, a 40 S&W, big heavy gun, less than fair trigger , 8+1, accurate enough, no one could complain about 'snappy' 40's, It can double as a boat anchor for a Kayak. My 1911's are not scared of it. Don't have a cat so I can leave it laying around.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:38 PM

I don't want one, my future son in law has one that has never ever been cleaned in 5 years but goes bang every time.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Ha!! "about"?? Try THE cheapest...$35 MSRP. I had never heard of RŲhm Gesellschaft until a few years ago. My buddy asked me to help him move some very heavy bronze sculptures. He said if I would volunteer my time, my truck and my back he would give me a nice condition .38 revolver he was willing to part with. I asked what kind, and he said couldnt remember the name, but it started with "R". My mind immediately went to "Ruger", and I said OK, sure.

I almost blew out a testical trying to help a 72-year-old man move these battleship anchors. So when he handed me THIS I apparently couldnt hide the disappointment on my face.

Immediatley I noticed the plastic grips, which looked like they belonged on a toy pistol from Dollar General, and the monkey metal frame looks like it could be melted with a cigarette lighter. It's been sitting in a shoebox on my closet shelf...I'm too afraid to fire it (I've become fond of having all five fingers).

So, yeah...makes a Hi Point look like a Sig Legion.
My very first handgun was an RG25...chrome.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaz3 View Post
I own a Hi-Point JCP, a 40 S&W, big heavy gun, less than fair trigger , 8+1, accurate enough, no one could complain about 'snappy' 40's, It can double as a boat anchor for a Kayak. My 1911's are not scared of it. Don't have a cat so I can leave it laying around.
You need to get it a pal. A S&W 4006. Only firearm I ever took to the range and put the first shot dead thru the X on the target. .40S&W round is not the problem. Lightweight guns with .40S&W as the round is the problem. A heavy gun absorbs a lot of the recoil and makes them easier to handle. That is why 1911s are so well thought of. No High Points here but I do have two Chiappa 1911s in .22LR. One is a tack driver with any ammo fed it. The other requires 40gr HV rounds to even function every time. Never look down on a man's firearm or holster, he might just save your life someday with it.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:22 AM

At least he supports the 2nd A, hats off to him.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:57 AM

Location: Where the Kaw meets the Mighty Mo (but I've been everywhere, Man)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
My understanding is that Reagan was a victim of his own bulletproof car. That the round that hit Brady was direct, and exploded as designed, within his brain.

But the POTUS was hit by a ricochet off the limo, that failed to explode. So maybe if he had a VW instead, he would have not been hit at all.

Just a hole in the Beetle.

So the safe choice for all heads of state is clear: VW Bugs.
'Sorry, but this reminds me of the old gag that if Teddy ("The Swimmer") Kennedy had driven a Volkswagen [which were known to float], Mary Jo Kopechne might still be alive today (and Teddy might've been president).
Old 05-28-2020, 01:35 PM

Budget gun or not, in my job I've seen plenty of people shot by Hi Points and they are just as dead. It's one of the most popular guns on the street used by local thugs in my area.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

www.jsggunleather.weebly.com
Old 05-28-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post
never look down and demean someoneís firearms. They may not be your cup of tea, but he may be very skilled and competent with that hp and out gun some idiot with a $3000 pistol.
+1
Old 05-28-2020, 05:28 PM

I've run across Ruger P95 models in both LGS's in my area and even at some gun shows that are in the $160 to $180 dollar price range. Given that Ruger has repaired pistols for myself and friends, without having proof of having purchased new, I would prefer to direct someone looking for a low cost handgun solution in that direction. High Point's may have a place in the market, but for my money(and a friends health/welfare, as well as cost), I would rather direct such a candidate in that manner. I personally know of local club level IDPA competitors that have several thousands of rounds through both P95's and P97's(9mm and .45 ACP respectively), with nothing more than regular cleaning and a recoil spring replacement as required. They took a beating and kept on running. However, that stated, if that's all they can find at the time in a price range they can afford(at that time), I've no disrespect for the choice they made...
Old 05-29-2020, 08:52 AM

OK Flight Medic a better story. My father comes home and says that his friend in NJ needs help (we live in NY) and when done we can have the car he no longer wants a Corvette that needs a little engine work. I am 25 and excited beyond belief. We spend the day moving stuff and get to the garage and get ready to hook up the car. It's a CORVAIR! My father says: Corvette Corvair, who cares it's a free car?"
Old 05-29-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Immediatley I noticed the plastic grips, which looked like they belonged on a toy pistol from Dollar General, and the monkey metal frame looks like it could be melted with a cigarette lighter. It's been sitting in a shoebox on my closet shelf...I'm too afraid to fire it (I've become fond of having all five fingers).

So, yeah...makes a Hi Point look like a Sig Legion.
I owned a little RG pistol in .32 S&W Long for ages. I liked it. granted it was cheap but it worked OK. I never had any problems with it.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:17 AM

Poor people also have a right to defend themselves. Consider yourself lucky to be able to afford a really nice sidearm.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:37 AM

Hi-Points were pretty common in my daily business along with "Crown Royal" bags for paraphernalia!

That being said I used to shoot a lot of Sporting Clays in the 80's. My world changed one day at a tournament. There were probably 100+ competitors. I felt pretty confident I wound do well that day after all I had a "Sporting Clays Special" over-under specially made in Italy! I watched an older gentleman get out of a "vintage" pick up and an old Rem. 870 that looked as if it had been dragged from stage to stage! The tip of the barrel was worn on one side!

I happened to watch him at several stages and was humbled! There were 100 required "hits"! He won the tournament with a 99! The next highest shooter scored was in the low 90's. I had a respectable 88!

Since then I've become suspect when seeing "that guy"!

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 05-29-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:55 PM

I swear on my fathers grave, I have given away at lest 5 or more weapons, for SHTF
Scenarios to people that could not afford a gun. A P95,IAI 5000 1911, 3 SKS’s, a Stevens riot 12 gauge, A Phoenix Arms 22 (his wife wanted it) ammo for all of them. This isn’t something I normally talk about but we a bunch of fellow patriots want to call me out on a light hearted post, I’ve put my money where my mouth is.

Last edited by Johnny handgun; 05-29-2020 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Spelling and remembering other guns
Old 05-29-2020, 02:19 PM

A LGS is promoting HP, he says everyone should be armed
Old 05-29-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
I swear on my fathers grave, I have given away at lest 5 or more weapons, for SHTF
Scenarios to people that could not afford a gun. A P95, 3 SKSís, a Savage(?) toot 22 guage, a Phoenix Arms 22 (his wife wanted it) ammo for all of them. This isnít something I normally talk about but whe a bunch of fellow patriots want to call me out on a light hearted post, Iíve put my money where my mouth is.
Don't take it too hard Johnny it was just your turn in the barrel.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:00 PM

I own three of them, never paid more than $75 out the door for any one them and the 9mm was $48 and they were all basically new. They have never had any issues, they work fine, I have used them in leagues to mess with the other shooters before too and the laughs are great.

Only thing I ever do to change them is remove the mag disconnect, the holsters cost more than the guns that ride in them lol!

They work, can't really say much past that.

As far as cars go I draw the line at $7500 for a daily since anything more is a waste and really $3000 will get a serviceable car, I rather spend car payments on guns and other stuff but will admit I have one car that I spend far too much on. I have 2000 Jeep WJ that I use as a truck/off-road toy that I got super cheap for the condition (no dents, rust and near perfect interior) since the former owner thought the transmission died but it was merely a cooler line.

My actual daily is a LS430 since I gave up trying to justify the fuel consumption of the Jeep and constant minor repairs annoyed the hell out of me so I bought the most reliable car in the world.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 05-29-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
I own three of them, never paid more than $75 out the door for any one them and the 9mm was $48 and they were all basically new. They have never had any issues, they work fine, I have used them in leagues to mess with the other shooters before too and the laughs are great.

Only thing I ever do to change them is remove the mag disconnect, the holsters cost more than the guns that ride in them lol!

They work, can't really say much past that.
I would buy everyone I came across at that price. Never see a used one around here.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
Hi-Points were pretty common in my daily business along with "Crown Royal" bags for paraphernalia!

That being said I used to shoot a lot of Sporting Clays in the 80's. My world changed one day at a tournament. There were probably 100+ competitors. I felt pretty confident I wound do well that day after all I had a "Sporting Clays Special" over-under specially made in Italy! I watched an older gentleman get out of a "vintage" pick up and an old Rem. 870 that looked as if it had been dragged from stage to stage! The tip of the barrel was worn on one side!

I happened to watch him at several stages and was humbled! There were 100 required "hits"! He won the tournament with a 99! The next highest shooter scored was in the low 90's. I had a respectable 88!

Since then I've become suspect when seeing "that guy"!

Smiles,
Back in the early '80s I used a 20 gauge Wingmaster to shoot skeet every Thursday night for years. I hit 50 straight once and had a 73 for 75 day. We had a guy challenge a friend of mine and me to shoot for beers. He hit 24 and we both went straight.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:21 PM

There are some that scoff at people who use their more expensive guns for EDC. I'm not one of them. I use the gun that can best get the job done for me. For some that might be a $300 gun and for others a $2000+ gun.

My EDC is a $1200 gun. It fits me and I shoot it very well. That's what's most important to me. It wouldn't have mattered to me if it was a $500 gun or...$300 gun. My priorities are a gun that's accurate, goes bang every time, functions flawlessly, fits me well, and for me to be a decent shot. If it looks good and is highly regarded, those are pluses but not requirements. Bear in mind a Hi Point will kill you just as dead as a S&W .500 mag. My 2 cents.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:37 PM
Banned

I remember in the 80's there were a lot of cheap guns floating about. Most were autos. And most were simply not reliable. The Raven 25 was one of the popular guns about that time and they were simply not reliable enough for a defensive weapon. I have no problem with inexpensive firearms that work as designed and are reliable, but so many are not.

I had a cheap H & R 12 ga single shot shotgun. Inexpensive and crude but it worked and worked every time. Unfortunately people that buy inexpensive firearms all too often don't know the difference between reliable and unreliable and there-in lies the problem.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:22 AM

As they say around here,run what you brung.