Glock question for 1911 guys... - Page 6 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-27-2020, 05:47 PM

IMPOSSIBLE. The striker doesn't come under full load until the trigger is pressed.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:49 PM

I have always like the 1911 best. I also shoot it better than any other handgun.

Always had issues with accuracy shooting friends Glocks. I was determined to master it so actually purchased a few and built a few Polymer80s. I shoot the Glock acceptable now but still shoot the 1911 much better.

I see five pages of responses in this thread. I have NOT read all of them.

Being a retired engineer living on a fixed income, I would take the Glock to someone that is an expert on Glocks and find out what caused the ND. I would talk with Johnny Custom Glocks and try to get him to take a look at it. As at least one other post mentioned, the striker and crucible interface has got to be messed up. Some how, I would find the money to have it looked at and get the reason for the ND.

Last edited by SoCAL_Gary; 05-27-2020 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
GONRA suggests - MAYBE it's NOT a Really Good Idea to hava CHAMBERED ROUND in a "Night Table Pistol" REGARDLESS of all the mechanical safety gizmos?
the point of having it chambered is if you are surprised you might not have chance to chamber a round remember to pull hammer back, push the safety up half asleep??

Its never been an issue for me but some who are extra cautious, i wont judge :P)

Old 05-27-2020, 05:55 PM

In what way is this an "indictment" of striker-fired pistols? That's quite a stretch to make that statement. Even assuming your account of events is factual and correct, if this were the result of a design flaw, it would have occurred many times among the populations of users of striker-fired guns. At the very least it would beg the question of why your "friend" gifted you the pistol -- and whether or not he is really a friend.

There are three safeties in the Glock. First is the trigger block which is located on the trigger and it’s overcome by something depressing the trigger: second is the firing pin block which Is located on the slide and overcome by pressing the trigger and allowing the trigger bar to act on it clearing the way for the firing pin: and third is the Glock connector housing where the cruciform plate rests. The plate can’t drop down unless it’s moved to the rear to a spot where there’s enough clearance for it to drop by the action of the trigger bar against the connector. In all of these circumstances the only way to overcome these safeties is by pressing the trigger. I suppose if the planets were all aligned and the striker leg broke it could travel forward with only half striker spring tension and then it would need to overcome the firing pin safety. So regarding the question can a Glock discharge by itself? I guess anything is possible but not likely without something pressing the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
It doesn't need one, no mechanical reason for it.
Hiking/Fly Fishing and the G36/G40 winds up wedged muzzle up in some rocks.
Young kids go to pick it up and they slip and finger hits the trigger.
Might be safer with the thumb safety.

Leave your baggage at the door and just deal with this situation as stated.

Anyone installed one of these?

Thx
RT

Last edited by Imissedagain; 05-27-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatwake1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelderbrother View Post
I'm asking this here because I doubt I'll get a straight answer on the Glock forums. This is going to be an indictment of striker-fired pistols.

A while back I was given a Gen 3 Glock 17 as a gift by a friend. I usually carry a Colt Rail Gun, and have for years, so it was a different experience. The piece in question was a police turn-in, so it had some miles on it.

The Glock has been assigned to be my bedside gun, so it sits on the table next to my bed. I wear the 1911 everywhere else.

Well, last night my wife and I woke up to the sound of a gunshot, and found that the Glock had fired. Nothing had acted on it physically. It didn't fall off the table. It didn't get caught up in the bedsheets. It was in the same position as where I left it, give or take, and the damned thing just fired.

I have had to assure my wife consistently over the years that things like that cannot happen, and thanks to this Glock, I am now on her **** list and no longer have any credibility on the subject. As you can imagine, it's been a very uncomfortable day.

Can anyone help me understand exactly how this might have happened? I'm going to have to destroy this piece, but before I run it through the band saw and turn it into a paperweight, I'd like to hear any advice any of you can share.

I'm disgusted. We all know the sensibility about how we keep guns to help protect the people we can about, and this one apparently did the exact opposite.

Many thanks in advance for your insights.
Ive carried a glock19C since 2012 possibly shot over 3k rounds through it but lost count, have not changed one part yet an its chambred 24/7 and a handful of times it fell off a table out of my hands and hit the ground loaded and never fired..

I dont think its a GLock issue but a possible firearm with an unknown issue..

I own a Colt 45 1911a1 i redid but its way heavy for a personal carry for me anyway, so my glock 19C ported is with me all the time and on my nightstand , in hot vehicle sometimes etc..not one issue..

glad no one was hurt but dont hate glock they are durable and reliable..
3k rounds is nothing, that's basically a new gun. Shoot 30-50k and it's quite a different story
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 05-27-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter1201 View Post
IMPOSSIBLE. The striker doesn't come under full load until the trigger is pressed.
Sure but if you read what was wrote you will understand it doesn't need to.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 05-27-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t30 View Post
There are three safeties in the Glock. First is the trigger block which is located on the trigger and it’s overcome by something depressing the trigger: second is the firing pin block which Is located on the slide and overcome by pressing the trigger and allowing the trigger bar to act on it clearing the way for the firing pin: and third is the Glock connector housing where the cruciform plate rests. The plate can’t drop down unless it’s moved to the rear to a spot where there’s enough clearance for it to drop by the action of the trigger bar against the connector. In all of these circumstances the only way to overcome these safeties is by pressing the trigger. I suppose if the planets were all aligned and the striker leg broke it could travel forward with only half striker spring tension and then it would need to overcome the firing pin safety. So regarding the question can a Glock discharge by itself? I guess anything is possible but not likely without something pressing the trigger.
Explain the "upgrade" of the gen2 and early gen 4 guns then?
Old 05-27-2020, 06:45 PM

the firearm needs to be disasembled by a gunsmith that understands the moving parts and a confirmation of what happened needs to be made i would send it back to the factory to do this no backyard gunsmith guess work.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:26 PM

I never say never, but I have a tough time seeing how. The striker nose is blocked by the sear on the safety shelf. But if it did somehow slip off the lug, then it would be blocked by the safety plunger. The trigger bar has to move back for that to happen. Not to mention the trigger safety - but since we're assuming in this scenario the trigger wasn't pressed, I guess that doesn't matter.

On top of that, as people pointed out, the striker is not fully tensioned. And Glock strikers don't have the same energy as hammer/firing pin setups like 1911.

I shoot 1911s and 2011s for my gaming guns, but my wife runs a G34 so I work on those too. Stock striker spring is 5.5lbs, and I've played with various recoil/striker spring combos in search of better trigger and reliable functionality for the minor powerfactor ammo I load. Anything under 4.5lbs on the striker spring and I get light strikes on CCI and even winchester primers, and had to move down to the more sensitive Federal primers. And that's on a fully tensioned striker. I believe the glock striker is 67% tensioned before trigger pull. On a stock 5.5lb striker spring that'd be 3.68 lbs. I had crap rate of light strikes at 4lbs.

I know it's not going to help your credibility factor with the missus...but I think someone hit it in their sleep or the cat did it.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistick View Post
I never say never, but I have a tough time seeing how. The striker nose is blocked by the sear on the safety shelf. But if it did somehow slip off the lug, then it would be blocked by the safety plunger. The trigger bar has to move back for that to happen. Not to mention the trigger safety - but since we're assuming in this scenario the trigger wasn't pressed, I guess that doesn't matter.

On top of that, as people pointed out, the striker is not fully tensioned. And Glock strikers don't have the same energy as hammer/firing pin setups like 1911.

I shoot 1911s and 2011s for my gaming guns, but my wife runs a G34 so I work on those too. Stock striker spring is 5.5lbs, and I've played with various recoil/striker spring combos in search of better trigger and reliable functionality for the minor powerfactor ammo I load. Anything under 4.5lbs on the striker spring and I get light strikes on CCI and even winchester primers, and had to move down to the more sensitive Federal primers. And that's on a fully tensioned striker. I believe the glock striker is 67% tensioned before trigger pull. On a stock 5.5lb striker spring that'd be 3.68 lbs. I had crap rate of light strikes at 4lbs.

I know it's not going to help your credibility factor with the missus...but I think someone hit it in their sleep or the cat did it.
The trigger transfer bar does not have to move for the plunger to retract, ANY force from ANY source that is stronger than the combined force of fiction of the plunger in its bore and the spring will move it.

Try removing the block entirely on the race Glock with the lighter spring and see if it fires on the same ammo it used to not be able to. There is a good chance it will since the striker tends drag on the plunger on some glocks on a per gun basis so you may be losing just enough there. If you have a different trigger you also are not fully drawing the striker back and getting the springs rated force in the first place since many of them release early to minimize travel

Last edited by Striker2237; 05-27-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_arietis View Post
Maybe your wife reached over, pulled the trigger, and then pretended to be just as surprised as you. This giving her reasoning to make you get rid of it haha.

All kidding aside, I'm glad no one was hurt and you're both safe.
That's a reasonable explanation. This is why I use a revolver as my bed stand gun kind of difficult for them to fire unless the trigger is pulled. Not to mention a .125 gr. JHP .357 round generally does the job with one shot.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:00 PM

?????

I have a hard time accepting that this incident actually happened and no one has bothered to call Glock, send the pistol back, or at least had it examined by a qualified gunsmith. And why bring it to a 1911 forum and not to one of the Glock forums where you might get a more knowledgeable response? Did anyone bother to contact the previous owner to see if he or someone else tinkered with the gun's safety mechanisms? There are way too many questions about this incident.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:07 PM

its a glock..... and a piece of crap....why would we care here on a 1911 forum.
a 1911 would never do that. i dont have a glock, im not worried.
dont give a sh*t about glocks....worthless nazi guns
Old 05-27-2020, 09:35 PM

Innocent Till Proven Guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyunker45 View Post
I don't have an answer, but I will say I am rather surprised and saddened that you insult thousands and thousands of shooters on the glock forums.

Do you, OP, think that a Glock owner only owns Glocks? Do you think the members of this 1911Forum only own 1911s?

This has to be the most ignorant, the most unsupported load of BS I have seen in a while on any forum.
Come on that's a cheap shot! (no pun intended) Glocks can and do fail. Like most firearms that is rare. I do not own a Glock, and own several 1911s, and Hi Power, but no striker fired handguns. I also know several Glock owners who will own nothing else, so yes there are 1911 owners and Glock owners that will not entertain the idea of owning the other.

I agree that the poster should let the Glock factory look at the weapon, and I bet they will claim the gun was tampered with as will guys on a Glock forum. Several Glock owners here have already eluded to that very thing already without knowing what really happened. Let's give this due process.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
...Having said that, this is why I'm not a fan of ANY of the modern striker-fired handguns with no manual safety. All it takes is a slight tug on the trigger, and BLAM! Probably not the kind of firearm you want just sitting on your nightstand loaded without being in a gun vault or proper holster...
Ditto. Also due to having cut my teeth of 1911s and a CZ75. Another also, it makes it safer for 1911 shooters to lighten the trigger of striker fire pistols.

I've wondered if Glock will have an external safety as an option in the future. My guess is no.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:38 PM

I wonder if it would make more sense that the ammo was at fault. I don't like Glocks and sort of enjoy it when I see online when they have problems (or the owners think wearing it casually tucked in their pants with a round in the chamber is safe), but could it be the ammo? For instance, if you fire at a range and it doesn't "go off," it is possible that round still might at some point. Probably not a year later, but more likely within the next 60 seconds. Though that would require someone to have pulled the trigger at some point and have a failure to fire and leave the round in the chamber. Could someone else have gotten in there and done that? Anyway, I'm not an expert on that but thought it worth bringing up to see if anyone else with more experience with that type of discharge has any comments.

Last edited by sablue7; 05-27-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
I consider Appendix Carry (fashionable though it is in some circles) as a direct and unnecessary violation of one of the Four Rules of Firearms Safety:

"Never let your muzzle cover anything you are NOT Willing to DESTROY!."

It's your Family Jewels, but I would Find Another Way. Murphy is always looking for a chance to nail you - don't give him a running start..... CC

PS - Regarding our other mentioned "possible causes" - It is possible for someone to do things in one's sleep, like sleep walk - I did it as a child, negotiating a long hallway and set of basement stairs and returning to bed without my knowing it (Mom observed me) - but I would think the discharge of a 9MM would surely wake you up with the gun still in your hand! And I do believe in the reality of Demons (and Angels!), but this would be the first time I ever heard of one firing a Glock! Unless you have other paranormal activity in the house, I think that a bit more unlikely.... CC
X2 on the appendix carry. I have many friends and associates who do it. I don't, lol And I don't get it!

As for this Glock spontaneously combusting....hmmm. Not a Glock fan here for other reasons, but I have a hard time taking this story at face value. The fact that the pistol supposedly discharged - but was still sitting nicely on the nightstand makes me doubt it all.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megafiddle View Post
I'm not sure just how much free recoil a Gock 17 has, with a full magazine, but I'm surprised it didn't land elsewhere.

-
Yyyyyup. Something in this story ain't right.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebutready View Post
I've wondered if Glock will have an external safety as an option in the future. My guess is no.
At this point, it would be tantamount to admitting that you had designed an unsafe pistol from the get-go. They have too much invested in the 'safe-action' nonsense. I'm no striker-fired-pistol fan by any stretch of the imagination, but my main beef with them is that they are continually pushed on beginners as a great option. To me, these are not beginner pistols, and the fact that Glocks are also touted as 'do-it-yourself' customizable, makes it even worse. These are not pistols for the uninitiated to be cavalier around.

As for the case being discussed, I look forward to the outcome of the investigation, just out of morbid curiosity.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:11 AM

OP: Were you taking Ambien at the time?
Old 05-28-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter1201 View Post
Sure but if you read what was wrote you will understand it doesn't need to.
Glocks were 'new to the LEO' community when I went through the academy in 1989. Miami, Florida (Metro/Dade PD) was the first LE agency in the USA to authorize Glocks for duty use. I left LE work in 2004. Over those years I carried G19, G22, G34, and G27 Glocks, putting thousands of rounds through them. Glocks WILL NOT 'spontaneously' discharge. SOMEONE handled that firearm.

BTW: my EDC is a Kimber Pro Carry 9mm.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:31 AM

I keep my alarm clock on the dresser opposite the bed, so I have to get out of bed and walk several feet to turn it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
My wife one woke up a few minutes late because her clock had not sounded. She then noticed that it was re-positioned from it's prior location and her glasses had fallen off the table.

Clearly she had turned off the clock in her sleep.

Keep in mind that neither she, or I, have had any history of sleepwalking or other disorders.

So my question is, what position was she sleeping in when she awoke from the shot?

Was she facing the gun?
Old 05-28-2020, 07:12 AM

I own and shoot several glocks in addition to my 1911s. What you have described is simply mechanically impossible.

So I would say that someone pulled the trigger. It's the only way it could have fired.