1st wilson - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-27-2020, 03:39 PM

1st wilson

I caught the 1911 bug years ago had a kimber and fell in love with the 1911 (when the kimber worked) have a SR 1911 that I love and then 3 years ago I got myself something really special I bought a Les baer custom carry Its got over 7k rounds through it and I am really happy, I have decided to stick with 1911's and make them my carry guns and now that I have a great job I have decided to start taking pistol courses at the local range, So far the Les baer has stood up to everything and I take really good care of it.

anyway I was getting ready to buy another 1911, sure I looked at the Wilson CQB, Nighthawk GRP, looked at Springfield custom shop, but I was not sure I wanted to drop $3500 on something when my $1900 les baer has been so awesome. so I was getting ready to buy another Les this one had the accuracy guarantee and figured $2400 was doable. Then I saw the new Wilson ACP. Figured this is my chance to own a wilson and for not much more than the Les Baer.

I understand these are new but some of the reasons that drove me to wilson ACP is the price compared to the CQB, the quality of wilson, and the fact that wilson will stand behind the products they make. I do not want a safe queen I want to take both the Les and this wilson to classes and to the range and put as many rounds as I can through them, I take care of my guns but I don't baby them. I want something that will last and last.

I guess what are your feelings on the new Wilson ACP? especially compared to a Les baer? anybody seen or own a ACP yet? whats the quality of it? I placed the order through buds this morning so I am really excited.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

You'll get a lot of opinions, as this is a forum open to differing needs/wants, and everyone has their favorites of course. I started with a government issue in 1971 and shot it well, then a series 70 Colt, then Para, then Kimber as well as LB, and all have shot well. A lot of folks that get Wilsons get them for the various options available, but most of those are not needed for a good, combat oriented, sturdy 1911 that will be carried and used. I believe this is why Wilson came out with the ACP - not a lot of options included, but definitely a great service-level 1911 that will be ultimately durable and provide excellent service to the owner. JMO of course, but I own several Wilsons these days and shoot them all on a regular basis, and for the budget-conscious, they are a great offering at a good price, particularly if you look at the quality of the parts used in every Wilson being steel parts and no MIM or investment cast; just good forged and tempered steel internals.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-27-2020, 05:50 PM

I think you chose well.

GP summed-up the reasons perfectly.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 06:48 PM

I have not yet seen a range report on the ACP or at least I don’t recall reading one. We look forward to reading yours.

I do not see any reason why the ACP will not be a really nice, moderately priced gun. After all it is a Wilson.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 05-27-2020, 09:53 PM

I think the ACP would be nice, although I'd want to handle the eagle claw grips/serrations. I'm sure they're fine though. One thing I really like about my Wilsons that isn't available on the ACP is the round butt magwell or frame options.