Now for some ballistic fantasy fun what if'n. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-26-2020, 09:47 PM

Now for some ballistic fantasy fun what if'n.

For a little break and just for some fun I wanted to put this out there. Does anyone ever notice in all these Jurassic Park, monster, scary big beast movies, and such that it seems like everyone is packing M16s or M4s with the exception of Chris Pratt's character carrying the Marlin 1895. I mean, who would outfit for going into the bush looking for something big, tough and mean, like King Kong, with everyone packing M16s? Really? Going 5.56MM for TRex? Or the "Military" guys in the Stargate franchise going to other worlds of who knows what packing P90s?

Watching some movie with the wife the other day and seeing this stuff once again, I got to wondering. What would I want to have in such a situation. Sure for something big as a Cape Buffalo and probably meaner, a .577 Nitro double might be alright. If you could expect to only encounter one standing still. A Marlin 1895 in .45-70 with Garrett type loads might be handy as you would have some thump and a few more shots on hand.

What about an AR in .458 SOCOM or .450 Bushmaster? Some power and penetration in a semi-automatic, mag fed platform might be nice. However, just like the .45-70 it's probably going to be a closer range proposition. Do you want to have to be within a hundred to a hundred fifty yards for relatively flat shooting? Sure, the rounds can be lobbed in and have some impact, but that's not something most folks could do under duress and with a target that is most likely moving. As in moving in to stomp/eat you.

A .50 BMG is not going to be something easy to hump with, but for one or two team members maybe some. Certainly not something to use in a patrol/scouting kind of movement.

So just for fun and to take a break while still exercising your mind with gun related things. Think of big beasty movies you've seen. Imagine you were heading into those kinds of situations or environments. What would you carry? How would you outfit the security element of a team for such a jaunt? How would you compromise in terms of weight, portability, fast shots and reloads, and in terms of effective range versus cartridge and platform?

No this isn't meant to be a real world what if? If you don't want to play that's fine. No need to get snarky. Just roll on by and skip it. It's a thinking exercise inspired by seeing so many, "Whatda? You're really sending guys after dinosaurs/mega monsters, etc. with M16/M4s?" movie moments. In other words. Have fun with it. Take a break from the crap going on right now, and let your inner outfitter loose. What would you outfit with and what is your reasoning for making those choices.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 05-26-2020, 10:19 PM

AR15/M16 variants are about the last rifles I'd pick for much of anything. Keep an AR 15 on hand, but am just not into them. Now, an M1A? Yeah, that's more like it.

My Walter Mitty firearms fantasies don't run to dinosaur resurgences, but if ol' T Rex ever comes walking up my street, there's a bolt-action Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H Magnum, a lever-action Winchester Model 1895 in .405 WCF, and a single shot H&R Model 176 10 gauge 3 1/2-inch Magnum single-shot with slugs waitin' on him.

If these things existed in some environment I ain't gonna be outfitting a team 'cause I ain't goin' out.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:36 PM
Administrator

If up against a T-Rex I'd take a 12-gauge pump loaded with magnum buckshot and aim for the eyes. If she's far enough away that buck is ineffective, well, supposedly all one has to do is remain completely still. Right, Steven Spielberg?

If up against Velociraptors however the 12-gauge won't be good enough. Just ask that English fellow in shorts about how clever those girls really are.

If up against King Kong, I'd just leave behind a huge Skull Island-sized banana and split.

If up against Predator, chances are he and I would spend too much time showing each other our weapons collections to worry abut killing one another.

If up against Alien, screw it. I'm outta here.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 10:55 PM

"For a little break and just for some fun I wanted to put this out there. Does anyone ever notice in all these Jurassic Park, monster, scary big beast movies, and such that it seems like everyone is packing M16s or M4s with the exception of Chris Pratt's character carrying the Marlin 1895. I mean, who would outfit for going into the bush looking for something big, tough and mean, like King Kong, with everyone packing M16s? Really? Going 5.56MM for TRex?"

Everyone? Really?

Looks like an HK G3, not an M16.

Yep, that's an HK G3.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Not to bash the OP, but in truth the reason why everyone was carrying an M16 in King Kong was because they didn't expect to find a jungle island where the spiders were the size of elephants and a 50ft tall ape was running around. Had they known that they'd probably have all carried bazookas and belt-fed M60s.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:25 AM

Well, as long as we're using movie guns, how about the M134 Minigun used in Predator.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:57 AM

Swiss cheese baby!!
Just take emí out at the knees!
Old 05-27-2020, 08:54 AM

I think that in Jurassic Park II, the British guide who wanted a T-Rex trophy had some sort of big double barrel safari gun.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:23 AM

New Balance 990v5
Old 05-27-2020, 10:41 AM

I don't think I'd want to shoot a T Rex. My mode would be to observe it as safely as possible, from a building/house whatever.

Because how often do you get to see something that awesome?

Reducing it to a scaly pile of meat would be a huge letdown.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Having just read magazineman's latest post I've changed my mind. For T-Rex a .25ACP pistol should be sufficient, as I'll just pop magman in the kneecap with it and then run.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:57 AM

That's works. You'll get to watch him feasting, that should be pretty dramatic!
Old 05-27-2020, 10:57 AM

A Five megawatt rifle.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:07 PM

T-rex hunting? Either .700 Nitro Express or a Phoenix 45-70, with my 1911 as a back up. If either of the rifles fail to take care of the rex, I can shoot myself before it gets to me and get a clean end.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:17 PM

My first preference would be to get out of Dodge. If the only option was using guns in my safe, I would load up the Alexander Arms AR-15 in .50 Beowulf and the 7 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull and hope for the best.

US Army, Retired
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 05-27-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Does anyone ever notice in all these Jurassic Park, monster, scary big beast movies, and such that it seems like everyone is packing M16s or M4s with the exception of Chris Pratt's character carrying the Marlin 1895.

What would I want to have in such a situation. Sure for something big as a Cape Buffalo and probably meaner, a .577 Nitro double might be alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I think that in Jurassic Park II, the British guide who wanted a T-Rex trophy had some sort of big double barrel safari gun.
.600 Nitro Express

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Lost_World...ssic_Park,_The
Old 05-27-2020, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levian View Post
T-rex hunting? Either .700 Nitro Express or a Phoenix 45-70, with my 1911 as a back up. If either of the rifles fail to take care of the rex, I can shoot myself before it gets to me and get a clean end.
Probably the best choices. I would assume that a T-Rex would be about as tough to kill as a bull African Elephant. And a pissed off, wounded bull elephant is pretty lethal as it is. Between getting stomped by an elephant or eaten by a T-Rex, after all how dead is dead anyway?
Old 05-27-2020, 03:03 PM

Oh my...

I am resisting the urge to start a thread on:

the best suppressed pistol for Ultra-man to use against Godzilla... ?
Old 05-27-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Not to bash the OP, but in truth the reason why everyone was carrying an M16 in King Kong was because they didn't expect to find a jungle island where the spiders were the size of elephants and a 50ft tall ape was running around. Had they known that they'd probably have all carried bazookas and belt-fed M60s.
Good point. Just so many movies that seem to have underpowered, but cool looking, easily recongnizable firearms going against too big for that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Well, as long as we're using movie guns, how about the M134 Minigun used in Predator.
I thought of that one. I do remember having an emotional orgasm when ol Jessie defoliated the jungle with it. Instant lust for the Minigun that has never abated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I remembered that one. He was specifically thinking BIG game. I know there were other guns like the shotguns, HKs, etc.. But those are usually a few rare ones. Mostly the cool M16/M4s in abundance though. Even with and HK I don't think I'd feel too good with just a .308.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Having just read magazineman's latest post I've changed my mind. For T-Rex a .25ACP pistol should be sufficient, as I'll just pop magman in the kneecap with it and then run.
Hey! That was my bear gun in Alaska. Something like a Beretta 21A in .25 ACP. I always made sure to take someone out with me. I figured if the bear rushed us I'd just empty the gun up and down their leg. Then carefully, not to draw attention, slip away while the bear went after the person on the ground who was kicking, screaming, and probably cussing of me. I guess word got around as people started to be reluctant to go into the bush with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I am resisting the urge to start a thread on:

the best suppressed pistol for Ultra-man to use against Godzilla... ?
Now you are showing your age. We used to watch Ultra-Man when I was a kid in grade school. At recess we would pretend we were Ultra-Man and do that T thing with the hands.

Of course since we know from Saving Private Ryan that the GI M1911A1 will blow up tanks that may just be the secret weapon. After all it's a known fact that if you hit someone in the pinky with a .45 ACP it will tear their arm off and spin them around.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 05-27-2020, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I thought of that one. I do remember having an emotional orgasm when ol Jessie defoliated the jungle with it. Instant lust for the Minigun that has never abated.
Actually it was Bill Duke who defoliated the jungle, after Jesse had been killed by the Predator. What I found funny with that scene was the fact that in my youth I was already doing a pretty good job defoliating the woods beside my parents' house with my trusty Ruger 10/22. My friend at the time even joked about it after he saw the Predator scene.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
A .50 BMG is not going to be something easy to hump with, but for one or two team members maybe some. Certainly not something to use in a patrol/scouting kind of movement.
Note the grip.

You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:09 PM

I just couldn't imagine field dressing and packing out a T-Rex.

Prolly need several pickup trucks just to haul out the tenderloins.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:34 PM

Ok, this a fun what if thead so I'll play. I actually watched these Jurrassic movies. Part of the reason I watched was to see size relationships. I wanted to see if a .375 H&H Mag. a ctg. I highly favor would work on T Rex. My conclusion while not a "stopping" ctg. it would under conditions not requiring stopping a charge. I believe if study could reveal the exact position of the brain in different positions. It's been well proven a .375 H&H Mag with 300gr solids will shoot completely through an African Elephants skull from the side. I believe the .375 would work with proper shot placement.
My 1st choice would be the .458 Lott, second choice .416 Rigby, 3rd choice, .375 H&H Mag. 4th .458 Win mag, all of which I've fired. I might pick the
.45-70 with 400gr solids. Brian Pearce used the .45-70 successful against Cape Buffalo in Africa.
I think if we had T Rex living with us now these would be my choices. By the way, when hunting Elk in the timber I use the .375 or .45-70.
We have grizzlys & one attacked a mountain biker near Yellowstone park early this week.
Stay safe!

Last edited by Frank Vaccaro; 05-28-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:15 AM

Watch My Science Project https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkylDvmZl_c fast forward to about the 2:30 mark

I would carry a M79 40MM grenade launcher or like in the movie a M16/M4 with a M203 for just such emergencies
Old 05-28-2020, 03:49 AM

AT-4 or some other type of shoulder fired rocket.