Grease vs oil - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 10:25 PM

Back in the 80's, I operated a helicopter spray service, using a Bell, I had an 8 pound can of grease for that machine (Shell product) and I have used it sparingly, on my guns ever since, slides get a little grease, all the guns get oil...I figure that if it was good stuff for the chopper, it's good for my guns..never had a problem
Old 05-21-2020, 05:43 AM

Can’t go wrong with morning coffee and a 5 page “lube” thread...
Old 05-21-2020, 06:00 AM

I use Castrol Syntec SAE 30 for my guns. It’s built for high friction, high heat, high-pressure applications, and it comes in quart jugs for just a few dollars. Works just fine - and has worked for thousands upon thousands of rounds for over 20 years.

That said, I also knew a Marine who only used KY jelly on his guns, just to prove he could and it didn’t matter.

Recently, I did buy a small bottle of Umbrella Corporation Unicorn Tears lube to run on my ARs. That works good, and I like to show off at the range with my bottle of Unicorn Tears.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:27 AM

Unicorn Tears...might have to get some, I have a 7 year old granddaughter that is currently into unicorns, she would really love Papaw then! I run a combination of Super Lube grease and Amsoil semi synthetic Bar & Chain oil, don't know if it is up to Unicorn Tears specs though.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:39 AM

For me in northern indiana, I use Lucas high temp grease in warm months and oil in cold months. The high temp bearing grease has a high melt point, resistant to slinging and goes a long way.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:05 AM

Careful with lubricant on some finishes!

Last year I had Robars do a fabulous job of NP3+ with Satin Nickel finishes on a couple of my favorite 10,000+ round pistols. My 3”Springfield EMP .40 S&W, and my ever faithful 3.3” Sig 1911 Ultra Compact in .45 (My edc for over 10 years) and found I could not use a number of cleaners & lubricants such as Balistol on these due to the fact they can permeate the finish and an cause large pieces of plating to crack or crumble. I still use it on my rifle barrels especially, as I’ve used it problem free on many of my guns for years. I’ve switched over to the Wilson Combat lubes on everything for simplicity sake, and they have proven excellent.

RIP Robars, thanks for 30 great years and many beautiful 1911’s!
Old 05-21-2020, 12:39 PM

Try Gun Butter oil and grease. Their oil is a bit thicker than Rem oil, which I use to clean, and the grease is a thin grease but thicker than oil so it stays put better than thin gun oils. The claimed temperature range is -70F to 400F, if that helps. All this is explained on their website.

https://gunbutter.com/

I do not work for or sell Gun Butter, IMHO it is a good lubrication.

Last edited by Top Cover; 05-21-2020 at 12:42 PM. Reason: adendum
Old 05-21-2020, 12:51 PM

Fence sitter

I think I,m on the fence for carry guns, Slide Glide light cut with CLP and working on getting through a gift can of Corrosion X on the rest.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:34 PM

Here’s the link to the Unicorn Lube on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Umbrella-Corp.../dp/B07DK7N9RK
Old 05-21-2020, 07:49 PM

Lubrication

I used to use FP10 till they were bought out and changed the formula.

Now I use Lucas Gun Oil and Lucas Weapons Grease which is the same as their Marine grease if you can find it.

Bruce
Old 05-21-2020, 07:52 PM

LOL @ Lube threads.......

Mental ejaculation for the masses.....
Old 05-21-2020, 08:17 PM

I still have a can or Brownells sperm oil.
(It is sperm wale oil)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cover View Post
Try Gun Butter oil and grease. Their oil is a bit thicker than Rem oil, which I use to clean, and the grease is a thin grease but thicker than oil so it stays put better than thin gun oils. The claimed temperature range is -70F to 400F, if that helps. All this is explained on their website.

https://gunbutter.com/

I do not work for or sell Gun Butter, IMHO it is a good lubrication.
I've not used Gun Butter, but am aware they recommend not mixing products. I believe they consider Gun Butter as a CLP so there would be no reason to clean with Rem Oil.

https://gunbutter.com/gun-butter-dealers-faq/
Quote:
After shooting with Gun Butter solvents are no longer necessary.
Simply use a AR-15 type nylon bristle brush then wipe with a cloth or paper towels and Q-Tips. Then lube again with Gun Butter and you are ready to go.

We do not recommend mixing various lubricants as their presence can possibly diminish the maximum performance afforded by Gun Butter.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cover View Post
Gun Butter
Would that be the lightly salted or unsalted variety?

Does it work well with bacon grease?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:22 PM

My experience with 25 years of daily carry is the less lube the better and you need to do a little maintenance frequently.

Grease is bad because it can attract and hold dirt, sand, dust, lint, and even moisture. Long ago I tried some of the high tech grease and found out it does not work for me.

For holster carry I like a light oil break free, a qtip with a drop on it to lube the whole gun. Cleaning and relube based on environmental conditions.

For pocket guns I like a dry teflon lube, and frequent de-linting and cleaning
Old 05-23-2020, 08:18 AM

^^^^. frequent being an operative term
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If it’s not a Kimber, it’s a copy.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
For holster carry I like a light oil break free, a qtip with a drop on it to lube the whole gun.
Seriously, one drop of oil for an entire gun,,.
I suppose that might work for a battle gun, made of carbon steel, with generous clearances for up-close/minute of center mass work.
I'm not so sure that lube program would work too well on a snugly fitted stainless gun.
Although I must say that I'm more stingy with the oil on revolvers than a 1911.
In the Army, it was oil, oil, and more oil, of course we weren't concerned with oil stains on nice clothing from concealed carry.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:44 PM

The only thing that costs as much as 'gun oil' is the vacuum rated grease used in deep space on moving parts.
It was way past even the cost of many 'gun oils.'

We used it keep it in a locked cabinet since people always want 'Just a little' to use on their favorite item.
The brand we used most of the time had a deep green color.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamartin98 View Post
I go by what is in the owners manual. I have never seen one talk about using grease on a 1911. I have seen some recommend grease in one or two spots in a rifle's bolt.
^^^This^^^
Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben589 View Post
I use Castrol Syntec SAE 30 for my guns. It’s built for high friction, high heat, high-pressure applications, and it comes in quart jugs for just a few dollars. Works just fine - and has worked for thousands upon thousands of rounds for over 20 years.

That said, I also knew a Marine who only used KY jelly on his guns, just to prove he could and it didn’t matter.

Recently, I did buy a small bottle of Umbrella Corporation Unicorn Tears lube to run on my ARs. That works good, and I like to show off at the range with my bottle of Unicorn Tears.
FWIW KY jelly is what we used to lube cameras in the arctic
Old 05-23-2020, 09:28 PM

Oil for everything, all the time. 1911s, M1, M1A ... I won't use grease for lubrication. Shot the M1 for two decades in High-Power competition using Singer Sewing Machine oil.

RIG keeps firearms here from rust and corrosion and does a fine job of it.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:41 PM

Being a lubricant thread, and so with 'no holds barred', I have to tell you in all seriousness that the best light oil I ever encountered was Slick 50 'One Lube' aerosol spray. I discovered this by accident while I was still working after trying everything else on two different kinds of problems at the office. The first was a friend's cheap little electric fan. He was getting six months or so out of them - they would slow down and eventually quit. So I started experimenting with every light oil I could find, to no real improvement - until I tried the Slick 50. Once I treated one with it, it just kept running. BTW, Rem Oil was the worst performer. Another problem we had was an incredibly loud screech in the employee's door. We had the Buildings/Grounds guys out to fix it but of course it always came right back. I had been trying everything else on it too, and the Slick 50 was what stopped it - for good. It was still good when I opened that door for the last time several years later.
Naturally I started using it on guns - there was never any problem and the guns always worked like they should. I think the only 'secret' to it was the colloidal Teflon in the fluid being composed of smaller particles than others and how it literally remained in place long after the fluid had evaporated - possibly because the smaller particles could penetrate the pores of the metal. Unlike most other Teflon fluids, the Teflon would not separate out and the fluid was not cloudy.
After realizing all this, I really had to think that the Slick 50 engine treatment most likely actually did what it claimed to do, which was to put long-lasting Teflon on all friction areas. In any event, the spray oil certainly did manage to leave a solid lubricant in metals after the fluid had dried. In other performance attributes of this kind of lubricant, it did the usual things - penetration, water-displacement, solvency, etc.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:51 AM

Now that is worth a lookie see
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If it’s not a Kimber, it’s a copy.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:25 AM

If you checked with the Army these days they would not be slathering oil on anything. They found out real fast that oil attracts sand and dust, and renders guns inoperable.

As far as tight stainless guns go I use about 4 drops on two qtips when I am going to the range with one of my Kimber 1911s, or one of my less tight Colts. It works great for 1-200 rounds.

My holster carry gun are glocks one or two drops of clp on a qtip is plenty to lube the whole gun, even for 200 rounds of 9mm or .45 acp.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:07 PM

Any part that rubs against another part needs lube. But there are different levels of friction in different parts of any pistol. On parts that have "looser tolerances" or are not moving in a linear manner at high speed, I use white lithium grease. Trigger track, disconnector, hammer and sear pins, mag release, etc. On barrel bushings and frame rails I use an appropriate viscosity oil.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.

Last edited by *MAYHEM*; 05-25-2020 at 06:10 PM.