Distracting project. Its working out. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 02:06 PM

Distracting project. Its working out.

An ongoing, do I keep it or sell it project, has been a Para Ordnance P14-45. I bought it because I like how the PO's point in my hand. It has not been a "great gun I want to do this to it" endeavor. But even in its state, I bought it used over a new RIA 22 TCM/9mm pistol. Even though I wanted a 9mm hi-cap in 1911 format the PO was the better gun. I had 9mm stuff at home.

Goal, a pistol that I could ride hard and put away wet and be more competitive in nonsingle stack stages at the club level. Fundamentally inexpensive I have other projects sucking up my expendible allowance.

For starters, the mag well needed to be relieved so magazines would drop free.

The hammer and sear were less than desirable. I thought at time of purchase an action job with stock pieces would work. Upon examination the PO sear was too short. The sear design is like the modern light weight designs to work with the PO hammer. So I opted to use a new S&W's Koenig hammer and a new standard sear. I stayed with the stock trigger because of reach, over travel being regulated by the appropriate lug in on the grip safety. So I did a complete trigger job and the pull is set to a crisp 3 pounds 12 ounces. I will probably lower it since it has performed favorably.

I used a take off Ruger thumb safety and reconfigured the paddle. I do like the Ruger design thumb safety except for the flat they mill on the pin for fitting. Slide stop is S&W MIM-o-gram.

I did replace the poly mag catch with a steel name unit, Dawson, IIRC. I put a slight bevel on the mag well. Fusion ejector, IIRC. Laminate grip panels.

I replaced the poly arched mainspring housing with a steel part. Did a light blend on the corner. The grip safety is in the works. It was the standard 'rat tail' Commander type stock on the PO's. Flat on the bottom and I don't shoot well with it. So I gave it a mix of a1911 spur and beavertail upsweep to it. I have been doing that to a few 1911's using the GI A1 type grip safety for several years now. JMB did that right, the curve on the back of the pistol's frame works. So without a beavertail I get good shootablity with this set up. I can shoot 100-200 rounds of 45 in it without issue.

Which brings us to the everything above the frame rails. After shooting it some, I took the 45 top end off and proceeded with the 9mm conversion. I had been sitting on an RIA 38 Super slide for about two to three years. Since I didn't want to deeply commit to this pistol monetarily I thought I would try the RIA barrel. Then if I liked the pistol as set up, I could buy and fit a better barrel. I used a Wilson barrel bushing. I used a Real Steel extractor, filed a spare machined steel 45 firing pin stop to 9mm configuration. I filed the top of the firing pin stop to help lower perceived recoil. I took care of barrel timing and installed improved sight set.

Finally test fired it yesterday. Function 100%. You can see where it consistently put the brass. The plan is working out. The target pictures are as follows:

- 5.5" diameter bullseye, 6 o'clock hold
- small groups are 18 yard distance
- large composite groups are 25 yard distance shot onto the 18 yard target
- the groups below the center of the bull is 115 grain FMJ Federal maroon bulk box.
- the groups just above and to the right of center are Federal 150 grain
- the sights are regulated for 115 grain FMJ ammo, you can see the difference in POI from the ammo change.
- Fliers I would love to say are the gun but I have to claim them...they were at least local to where I called them.

The pistol's manner, being a nine, is pleasant. The 150 grain loads are highly managable and being able to shoot faster and more consistently is an understatement.

This guy needs two more things before final tuning, blending and touch up. A full length guide rod to put a little more weight up front. And 10-8 hardball black rear sight.
Attached Thumbnails
PO  left side.jpg   PO right side.jpg   PO thumb safety.jpg   PO rear sight.jpg   PO magwell.jpg   PO  grip safety.jpg  

PO  brass ejection.jpg   8734E162-4356-4B36-8846-C3705DCCFA83.jpeg   520C0BA2-A843-46D8-9D23-FB9193809062.jpeg   14079B0C-07F1-4BA1-AE2E-E183553D80EF.jpeg   9FE56FE9-3CE0-4D0D-B041-F90912AFEC71.jpeg  
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 05-20-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:50 PM

Looking good.
American Pistolsmith Guild
Old 05-20-2020, 05:46 PM

Thank you, Gregg.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 07:45 PM

I like it. Congratulations on getting all the parts to play nicely with one another.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:02 PM

Thank you. Sometimes just takes subtle changes here and there.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:52 AM

Well, finished it up. Things I did:

- finish blended and defanged the grip safety and its tang;
- further blended the thumb safety shield arc;
- beveled the back of the 2 piece full length guide rod impact flange since the lower barrel lugs were riding it. Installed a shock buff (purists shuddering);
- reversed crowned and deburred the muzzle, 11 degree. It needed it.
- smoothed and polished the feedramp;
- blended the bottom of the mainspring housing to the frame;
- tap textured the blended areas with 60 grit sand paper. The grips safety was annoying to do like that so I decided to wait until I get a blast cabinet.

I did forget to Oxpho-blue the muzzle and top of the front sight. I'll get on that....

And there is an error in an earlier post. The trigger on this pistol is 2 pounds 5 ounces and never follows. I forgot I changed it when I went to 9 and made it a game gun.
Attached Thumbnails
PO, touchup, muzzle view.jpg   PO, touchup, upward view, ls of grip safety.jpg   PO, touchup, ls upward gr view.jpg   PO, touchup, rs upward gr view.jpg   PO, touchup, lr housing view.jpg   PO, touchup, bot housing view.jpg  

PO, touchup, lr upward ts view.jpg