Need to clean a "clean" gun! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 01:23 AM

Need to clean a "clean" gun!

First of all this is not a brand A vs brand B debate, rather my experiment with grease and oil from the same highly rated company.
I took my Springfield XDM 3.3 45acp and used a gun grease to "lubricate"the rails, bbl, etc. I then put it my safe for the winter. I next took my XDM 3.3 9mm and used the same companies oil and put it away. The two sat in my safe for the next six months. I then took them out and fired a full mag through each. The 45 with grease was definitely slow to cycle and failed to go into battery one time, needed a tap to fully go into battery. The 9mm functioned ok. Upon stripping them I noted that the 45 was sticky on all surfaces where I used grease. The 9mm was also somewhat tacky (not nearly as bad as the grease). This was an admittedly simple test just to see what effect time would have on these types of gun care products, on clean, unfired pistols when stored for extended periods of time.
I have always cleaned and re-lubed my carry weapons every month if not shot and immediately after shooting, using oil where manufacturer recommended and grease the same.
This was just FYI on my simple findings...hoping to get others to think and experiment on any oil or grease that doesn't break down over extended storage. I didn't mention the brand as it did not stay stable during extended storage.

Welcome to Illinois...where weed will be legal....but you still can't get as high as our taxes

Last edited by ECHO154; 05-21-2020 at 01:24 AM. Reason: adding temp
Old 05-21-2020, 01:25 AM

The pistols were room temp taken out and fired quickly in mid 60' temp.

Welcome to Illinois...where weed will be legal....but you still can't get as high as our taxes
Old 05-21-2020, 04:41 AM

Try different products.
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 07:54 AM

What is happening is the lubes are oxidizing over time. I agree that you need to try other products, look for full synthetic lubes. They are not supposed to oxidize and remain the same viscosity at any temperature.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:44 AM

Shameless plug...Breakfree has always worked well for me. That is why I have used it for over 37 years.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
Shameless plug...Breakfree has always worked well for me. That is why I have used it for over 37 years.

Careful. Youíre dating yourself.

Breakfree works for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9mm= 45acp set on "stun"
Old 05-21-2020, 03:09 PM

Oh, these inuendos about dating our origin!
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:31 PM

The late Todd Green was a fan of oil because he felt he needed to regularly clean the old grease off the gun because it trapped debris.

With oil, he felt he could just add more and keep shooting requiring fewer cleaning sessions.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:31 PM

I have seen plenty of products dry over time, both grease and oil.
I had two different guns that were greased with Tetra grease. They were in storage for a couple years and were locked up solid. I've also seen spray oils that turned to varnish.

In the short term, most any common product will work just fine. Any gun that's going to be put up for any length of time should have something like Barricade on it.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 PM

I've had a similar experience with TW25 grease, I went through my guns to give them a cleaning a while back and that stuff was like gone, completely dried out. Now I use Wilson and Lucas and the only thing I've noticed is that they wick out on some finishes.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:48 PM

It would sure be nice to know what brand you were using.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:10 AM

Just use Mil spec CLP. A great deal of time and money was spent when it was first developed - many in the industry said that the requirements the D.O.D. wanted were impossible to achieve. They were wrong. I started using it in the 70s and it's still the best lube I have ever used. There is absolutely no good reason to use grease in a 1911. None. If I could not obtain Mil spec CLP I would just buy a quart of Dexron ATF and put some in a small applicator bottle. If it can keep an automatic transmission running at high RPMs and temps it will keep a 1911 going just fine. Most of the brand name gun lubes on the market are nothing but snake oil. Maku mozo - (don't be deluded).

Last edited by drail; 05-22-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:34 AM

I it's really that bad, detail strip and soak all the parts in mineral spirits.
Then alcohol.
Then Breakfree.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:15 PM

Grease will "Harden " over time.
I have also see two differant brands of oil when combined thicken to a gel.

Lots of lube discussions,but I stick with Breakfree.
I like the CLP for cleaning and the LP for moving parts.
LP is a hair thicker.
If you can't find the LP, then the CLP will work fine.

Works great. Stays put pretty well.
Will still be made 5 years from now. Some lubes come and go.
Very easy to find, Midway , Brownells, Walmart, even Amazon
Old 05-23-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Most of the brand name gun lubes on the market are nothing but snake oil. Maku mozo - (don't be deluded).
Ironically I use Brian's Slide Glide on my 45s. Never had an issue, even after either 2,000 rounds without cleaning or 6 months in the safe.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Just use Mil spec CLP. A great deal of time and money was spent when it was first developed - many in the industry said that the requirements the D.O.D. wanted were impossible to achieve. They were wrong. I started using it in the 70s and it's still the best lube I have ever used. There is absolutely no good reason to use grease in a 1911. None. If I could not obtain Mil spec CLP I would just buy a quart of Dexron ATF and put some in a small applicator bottle. If it can keep an automatic transmission running at high RPMs and temps it will keep a 1911 going just fine. Most of the brand name gun lubes on the market are nothing but snake oil. Maku mozo - (don't be deluded).
I have a gallon of mil clp on my supply shelf. From the smell...it IS gun oil. I prefer Breakfree, which was the mil clp, and it isnít quite as sharp in its fragrance.