EDC X9s Initial review - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-15-2020, 12:21 PM

Okay so I have 750 through the gun so far instead of the normal 1300 due to repeated failures. Once I'm home I'll post up video comparing it to various other guns, do not take the numbers given as what the guns can do since I'm badly out of practice and I kept messing up reloads severely. I'll also post up the numbers in text format what each gun did vs the others

My initial impression is that the gun is very accurate slowfire for the size but the recoil is painful. It's has a clean, quick cycle but this is the first Wilson I've had that actually tore me up to shoot and I wanted to stop after 300 rounds, it's also the first one I've ever had that didn't work out of the bag. I had over 12 failures across three weights and brand of ammo, I'm very disappointed about this. Between that and how painful the gun is to shoot I would rather carry a 365 as it stands.

Shooting performance is quite good, better than a 938, micro 9, and I think it beat the 365 as well but I'll check over the times, it's easy to hit controls on it as they are about the same placement and size as a real 1911 but the 10 rounders are interesting to reload. First shot speed is good and inline with what a gun this short should do, sights as the same as my main carry and performed very very well for accuracy and acquisition.

I'm going to get back to my old consistency and skill level before running this gun some more and giving a real evaluation on it, so far it's a mixed bag since for $3000 I expected it to blow everything away in its size class. Main thing that is throwing me is that I don't enjoy shooting it, I would rather use my ADP or G26 since they don't tear my hands up. I kinda gave up after 750 and went to train with my carry gun to give my hands a break.

Felt recoil as I've hinted to is massive and sharp, nothing like the heavy rolling press of say.....a .460 or .45 super or even .50 AE but a very harsh instant stab like a DB9 or .40 compact Glock. Sight deflection is severe and you don't try to follow them, just let them vanish and wait for them to come back like a .40. When they come back they do come back about where you left them and they do so quickly so it's useable. It doesn't swim around like the X9 does but the trade off is again the pain and huge felt impact. If the normal X9 had this more flat grip and the same upper end it would be better gun than both of them
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 05-15-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the openness. Looking forward to more of you reviews. My thoughts with a small piece like this is - you shoot it to break it in and to find out where the POA/POI is and then carry it. Shoot it once in awhile to stay sharp. To me it wouldn't be a everyday range gun.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the frank but honest report. I truly hope this is not a trend for Wilson Combat.

JW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2020, 12:41 PM

The recoil issue is what concerns me of the X9S but to be honest I don’t see how you can have a small 9mm the size of a Micro or 938 that is not extremely snappy and rather unpleasant to shoot. Pretty much the nature of the beast.

I’ll wait to make a final opinion until I am able to shoot one myself.

Your failure rate is less than 2 percent and although disappointing, it will be interesting to see if it smooths out with additional shooting and magazines getting their springs set. Certainly a carry gun needs to be more reliable than what you had on the first outing.

Will look forward to hearing what the second trip results are.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 05-16-2020, 01:04 PM

I have 550 rounds through mine spread over 2 range trips, 400 rounds 124 grain Blazer brass and 150 round Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain. I have not experienced any issues with the pistol. Recoil/comfort of the pistol is subjective, I find recoil wise it’s comparable to the Glock 26 but less than the Glock 43. Since the first 250 rounds I have carried it most days, I’m stuck around the house due to Corona. I have not shot more than 300 rounds at one outing which might influence my ideas about it. I plan on putting more rounds through it over the next month or so after which it will probably become my primary pistol once my Sparks Criterion comes in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pray for our Soldiers as you pass that Church...
Proud Father of a medically retired Cav Trooper...
Old 05-16-2020, 01:47 PM

The 2 things I really love about Striker reviews are: 1) He is an accomplish shooter and does a very thorough review (and has lots of guns for comparison); and 2) He doesn't hold anything back in his evals (which of course he shouldn't).

I am not a big fan of anything below 4". I just don't see caring any variety of 4" as an issue, unless one is wearing a bathing suite. And all other things equal a 4"er will shoot better. That said, I do have one 3.3" an XDS in 45...Which brings me to the next comment...

I am very surprised a 9mm of any size is paining you...Could it be that the gun isn't cycling correctly (also given all the failures)...I have often described my XDs in 230 grain HST as a bucking-bronco, but never painful. And even though I downgraded my load to 185gr GS 2 years ago it is still a 188 power factor and more than any 9mm duty ammo. And I would now describe the recoil in my XDs/185 as fairly comfortable while still requiring some extra attention (vs a bigger gun)...

So the first thing I would check is if the gun is mechanically sound. Something doesn't sound right for a 9mm to be paining you like that even in that size (and especially given your skill with a pistol). Maybe the wrong springs were dropped in? Maybe something is binding and causing the slide to "jump".

It happens. On my TE back around 2014 long before I comped it. Had the worst range session ever. 300 r of pain, the gun was trying to jump out of my hand on every round. When I got home I discovered the slide stop (notch) had penned so much that it was literally garbing onto the dust cover and etching groves in the steel. Could be something like that (not saying the same). 9mm shouldn't be painful.

Did you roll some sort of crazy 9mm++++++P with a 357M pf or something? But seriously, what were the Power factors you were shooting?

3,000$ is a lot of money for a gun like that for most people. But I am happy to see some people are very happy with it too. Different strokes.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 05-16-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:54 PM

Wow, I'm surprised someone would say it was painful to shot.

I did over 400 rds and don't have big hands but somewhat chubby I guess. I had no pain at all, I wanted to shot more but was running out of ammo. My brother was with me and he tried it out and loved it too but only fired 1 mag.

As mentioned, it is a subcompact but I thought much smoother than any others I have owned or shot. I was using 115 grain Federal and had no problem eating the bullseye (I do have a RMR red dot).

Only failures I had was when I was using the 18 rd mag from my X9 so I stopped using them and had 0 out of the 15 rd mags, didn't use the 10 rd mag at all. I ordered a few more 15 rd mags since I won't be able to use the X9 18 rd mag for range practice like I thought I would.

Would be interested in a follow up but doesn't change my feelings towards my weapon.
Bob Curry-- Roll Tide-WC Stainless Protector with Trijicon RMR type2; WC Stainless Sentinel 9mm; WC Stainless EDC X9 with Trijicon RMR type2; WC EDC X9S with RMR. Ruger Mark IV 22 cal Hunter; Bond Arms Derringer 45 cal;. A couple others.

Last edited by Currybob; 05-16-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:15 PM

I understand what the small gun pain is. I’m 65 & my p365 is painful with all but the 12 round mags. I need a full grip to avoid the pain so when I bought a Glock 43x that solved the pain due to its full grip. Just slightly bigger than the p365 but now I have 15 round flush fit mags ameriglo sights & an apex trigger upgrade for it. It’s what works for me in the small gun realm.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:21 PM

As to the reported felt recoil, I'd take Striker's comments to heart as rock-solid reality.

Felt recoil can be a funny (but not fun) thing. Sometimes it can almost defy logic. But it is what it is, and a 9 mm chambering in no way exempts the total package from a harsh felt recoil experience.

Also keep it in perspective...our good friend's 300 rounds in one session is more than many of us routinely undertake. Far more than my typical 100 round outings. And this gun is designed for carry; not so much for long range sessions. If I were a potential x9 customer (I'm not), I'd be more concerned about the reported reliability experience. Reliability -- in the given user's hands (not someone else) -- of a SD-purposed gun is non-negotiable IMHO.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 05-16-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:41 PM

Nobody is question his results, but something is likely wrong with the gun (which can be fixed). It just doesn't add up when no one else reported issues with this offering as "painful, massive, and sharp" (just not words I've ever heard used with any 9mm loads). Unless he rolled his own loads, you know Striker he likes that "hot-stuff" :-). Just as a start, I want to know the power factors were. If they are reasonable, it is likely something mechanical.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 05-16-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Nobody is question his results, but something is likely wrong with the gun (which can be fixed). It just doesn't add up when no one else reported issues with this offering as "painful, massive, and sharp" (just not words I've ever heard used with any 9mm loads). Unless he rolled his own loads, you know Striker he likes that "hot-stuff" 🙂. Just as a start, I want to know the power factors were. If they are reasonable, it is likely something mechanical.
S&B 115, 124, and 147 along with blazer same weights two boxes each type and 6 of the S&B 115 plus the remainder of my 9mm crown royal bag

I don't use clocked up 9mm actually lol, I usually go to .45 super for special type loadings like pred/hunting rounds or armor defeat velocity

Quick picture upload showing my hand, my dads, and Becky's and keep in mind she only shot a single mag when this was taken I and only had fired 10 so far and my dad was on his 5th or so. All of our hands were getting torn up way worse than I or anyone was expecting.

https://imgur.com/a/dEafg8a

The G26, M&P shield, and Super sentinel and even the 365 as well as the G43x/48 all do not beat us up like the X9s did, the super sentinel is all day 1500+ rounds enjoyably used vs what occurred here. Don't get me wrong it shoots really really well and nearly ties the super sentinel and is really good with slowfire even with the bad trigger. It would totally obsolete so many of my handguns if it simply worked, I don't really mind the wear to the hands if something performs. I have several guns that beat me up but perform very well like my PPK or P38/P1 or DB9, they are for their size class and type do very well on the clock even if they hurt to use.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 05-16-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:14 PM

I really appreciate your straightforward write ups, Striker.

There's some great lessons the gun publication columnists could learn from you. Most of them are just writing feel-good pieces on the guns they "review".....or at least that's what it appears to me.

I've shot the G26 quite a bit and must admit that it's perhaps one of the most pleasant surprises I've had gun-wise. It proved to be way more accurate and handy than I'd expected.

Prior to the G26 I'd had G20, G21, G22, G20, G34, G17. After the G26 I tried the G19 once it finally came out with the Gen4 large backstrap...it finally gave me a G19 that fit my hand.

That G19 made the super little G26 an obsolete gun for me as it carried almost as easy and the grip size & capacity were welcome.

I no longer have a Glock as they were all uninspiring guns that were flipped to fund 1911's.

I mentioned the Glocks because I finally spent the coin & ordered the EDC X9. I'm hoping it gives me everything I liked about the G19 plus all the stuff I love about my commanders.

I'll remain open-minded on the X9s, however I'm not expecting it to offer anything for me personally that I don't get from the bigger brother. The diminutive size isn't a big draw as I don't want to pocket carry it. I'd rather have a commander or X9 IWB.

When I go to pocket carry...it's with a lw J-frame. I'll accept it's minute-of-ribs accuracy.

The G26 was a poor pocket carry choice for me....just too thick & heavy. I'm only speculating......but, I would think the same would hold true for the X9s.

In this case I'm buying the big brother first....and may not ever feel the need for the smaller.

Time will tell.

Really appreciated your write-ups and pics.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
S&B 115, 124, and 147 along with blazer same weights two boxes each type and 6 of the S&B 115 plus the remainder of my 9mm crown royal bag

I don't use clocked up 9mm actually lol, I usually go to .45 super for special type loadings like pred/hunting rounds or armor defeat velocity

Quick picture upload showing my hand, my dads, and Becky's and keep in mind she only shot a single mag when this was taken I and only had fired 10 so far and my dad was on his 5th or so. All of our hands were getting torn up way worse than I or anyone was expecting.

The G26, M&P shield, and Super sentinel and even the 365 as well as the G43x/48 all do not beat us up like the X9s did, the super sentinel is all day 1500+ rounds enjoyably used vs what occurred here. Don't get me wrong it shoots really really well and nearly ties the super sentinel and is really good with slowfire even with the bad trigger. It would totally obsolete so many of my handguns if it simply worked, I don't really mind the wear to the hands if something performs. I have several guns that beat me up but perform very well like my PPK or P38/P1 or DB9, they are for their size class and type do very well on the clock even if they hurt to use.
Something mechanical is likely going on because:
1) Your X9s seems to be the odd-gun-out exhibiting overly heavy recoil. No other owner has reported anything like what you are experiencing.
2) 9mm just doesn't recoil that much in a properly functioning firearm.
3) You also had 12 failures.

Add these 3 up and it likely (or at least a very good chance) it is your particular gun and not the X9s design.

I'd send it back for a tune-up, tell them the issues you are having with recoil. You have nothing to loose by doing so. It is a brand-new $3,000 gun, you should be happy with it. WC will fix it for you.

(Only other caveat I can think of is your tendinitis. Has it flamed-up? Is the shape of this grip exacerbating it?).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 05-16-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
1) Your X9s seems to be the odd-gun-out exhibiting overly heavy recoil. No other owner has reported anything like what you are experiencing.

Add these three up and it likely (or at least a very good chance) it is your particular gun and not the X9s design.

I'd send it back for a tune-up, tell them the issues you are having with recoil. You have nothing to loose by doing so. It is a brand-new $3,000 gun, you should be happy with it. WC will fix it for you.

(Only other caveat I can think of is your tendinitis. Has it flamed-up? Is the shape of this grip exacerbating it?).
Does this guy look like there is a lot of recoil with his X9s? I think this was the vid where he said it shoots like a full sized 1911. Send the gun back, it shouldn't be recoiling so much it is causing you pain and suffering (if it was a 45, you might have to "take the pain" but (your) X9s-9mm shouldn't have such a tough recoil-dynamic) . WC will make it right.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 05-17-2020 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:42 PM

EDC X9s Initial review

One thing I noticed when firing mine, I prefer the 10 round magazine. The hump at the rear with the 15 round magazine doesn’t agree with me. The 15 round magazine works but I prefer the 10 round. I think Wilson or someone should come out with a plus 2 extension for the 10 round magazine which would give a little more on the front strap ala Pierce Glock extension and 2 additional rounds. Until something like that comes along I will carry with the 10 round and have the 15 as the spare. I also agree there might be a issue or something going on with yours, mine hasn’t tore my hand up at all, really fairly comfortable to shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pray for our Soldiers as you pass that Church...
Proud Father of a medically retired Cav Trooper...
Old 05-17-2020, 12:10 AM

I prefer the 15 rd mag for the grip feels better, fuller grip, nothing hanging off. Also maybe the extra weight of the mag and RMR helps with the recoil. See photo

I had none of Strikers issues but hay to each their own, We all different. I know this is now my DC and wearing a smile.

Striker-what mag were you using?
Attached Thumbnails
20200430_231739.jpg   20200430_231806.jpg  
Bob Curry-- Roll Tide-WC Stainless Protector with Trijicon RMR type2; WC Stainless Sentinel 9mm; WC Stainless EDC X9 with Trijicon RMR type2; WC EDC X9S with RMR. Ruger Mark IV 22 cal Hunter; Bond Arms Derringer 45 cal;. A couple others.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:51 AM

I’m not an RMR guy but for some reason it just looks right on that little shooter.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 05-17-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currybob View Post
I prefer the 15 rd mag for the grip feels better, fuller grip, nothing hanging off. Also maybe the extra weight of the mag and RMR helps with the recoil. See photo

I had none of Strikers issues but hay to each their own, We all different. I know this is now my DC and wearing a smile.

Striker-what mag were you using?
I used both 10s and 15s
Old 05-17-2020, 04:51 PM

Yikes! That certainly does not match the experiences I've seen from quite a few other owners on various forums. I'm in the guessing something is wrong with your gun crowd.

Looking forward to hear how it gets resolved and what the issue actually was, if you find out.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
Yikes! That certainly does not match the experiences I've seen from quite a few other owners on various forums. I'm in the guessing something is wrong with your gun crowd.

Looking forward to hear how it gets resolved and what the issue actually was, if you find out.
Did you see the pic he posted of the hands of his "gun crowd" ???

If everyone was experiencing the same then I'd wonder if there was a spring problem or something else gun-related.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:58 PM

Do you notice anything unusual with the slide? Unlocking too early or late? This is extremely odd.

JW
Old 05-17-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post

Did you see the pic he posted of the hands of his "gun crowd" ???

If everyone was experiencing the same then I'd wonder if there was a spring problem or something else gun-related.
Poor punctuation on my part, was meant to be "something wrong with your gun, crowd". Definitely seems to be something wrong with that gun.

Not the folks shooting it, those hands looked beat up bad, spring issue does sound probable.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Add these 3 up and it likely (or at least a very good chance) it is your particular gun and not the X9s design.

No but thanks for asking, I have a therapy program in place when I have heavy weeks of shooting and I'm using less effort when working on cars to further avoid load. I've not had pain issues for a while after I first noticed the issue and weird hand response and pulled back for a while.

It's beating up my hand up higher in the meat of my palm and stuff, not at my wrist or nerves. I don't particularly mind if that's just how it acts but it NEEDS TO WORK. It's fairly fast and way easier to shoot well than the other guns in it size class but the lack of reliability is shocking to a guy who will literally reach for his other WC handguns before anything else if he needs a handgun to simply work.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:51 PM

Have you contacted WC yet?
Old 05-18-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
No but thanks for asking, I have a therapy program in place when I have heavy weeks of shooting and I'm using less effort when working on cars to further avoid load. I've not had pain issues for a while after I first noticed the issue and weird hand response and pulled back for a while.

It's beating up my hand up higher in the meat of my palm and stuff, not at my wrist or nerves. I don't particularly mind if that's just how it acts but it NEEDS TO WORK. It's fairly fast and way easier to shoot well than the other guns in it size class but the lack of reliability is shocking to a guy who will literally reach for his other WC handguns before anything else if he needs a handgun to simply work.
I'm glad that things worked out for your hand. That is a big accomplishment.

Yes, it is odd that it had so many failures even during break-in. Why not just send it back as this could all be "connected" to the recoil dynamic?

I have some great news, the Governor just capitulated to our Lawsuit to have the outdoor ranges open! Yea!. This Friday they open along with the beaches...I'll wait a week for some of the crowed to get through with a lot of folks out of work I am sure the ranges will be packet. It is members only and usually guests are allowed. But the club may have that guest part along with the various matches they host on hold for a while due to the CV9 guidelines.

I have so much shooting to make up...I miss shooting my custom-comped TE and my WCCC so I want to shoot those. But i also need to try the new G2 mags in my STI-CC too, as well as my Q5 slide upgrade on my PPQ 9mm...I can shoot these all in one session, but it is more enjoyable to do no more than 2 guns for me...What to do? Tough having "First-World" issues!
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 05-18-2020 at 01:14 PM.