Putting things in perspective - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-17-2020, 01:32 PM

Putting things in perspective

I got this in an email newsletter yesterday. Not sure if it was already posted.

PUTTING THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE
(Author Unknown - Statistics Not Verified)

It's a mess out there now. Hard to discern between what's a real threat and what is just simple panic and hysteria. For a small amount of perspective at this moment, imagine you were born in 1900.

On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday. 22 million people perish in that war. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. 50 million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million.

On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy.

When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren't even over the hill yet. And don't try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war.
Smallpox was epidemic until you were in your 40's, as it killed 300 million people during your lifetime.
At 50, the Korean War starts. 5 million perish. From your birth, until you are 55 you dealt with the fear of Polio epidemics each summer. You experience friends and family contracting polio and being paralyzed and/or die.

At 55 the Vietnam War begins and doesn't end for 20 years. 4 million people perish in that conflict. During the Cold War, you lived each day with the fear of nuclear annihilation. On your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, almost ended. When you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends.

Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How did they endure all of that? When you were a kid in 1985 and didn't think your 85-year-old grandparent understood how hard school was. And how mean that kid in your class was. Yet they survived through everything listed above. Perspective is an amazing art. Refined and enlightening as time goes on. Let's try and keep things in perspective. Your parents and/or grandparents were called to endure all of the above - you are called to stay home and sit on your couch.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:36 PM

Great post. Perspective is everything.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 05-17-2020, 04:18 PM

Thanks for sharing. And we get all worked up if the wifi goes down.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 05:27 PM

What we won't survive is 4 years of Joe Biden if Trump should lose in November.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:51 PM

Yes we will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Joe Biden does not scare me one bit.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Deleted

Last edited by bradsvette; 05-17-2020 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Kinder and gentler world
Old 05-17-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Its not that Ol Creepy Joe is scary... he is not. But he and his leftists cabal who control him like a sock puppet will destroy this country with their commie policies.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:35 PM

They will no doubt try.

Quote:
Its not that Ol Creepy Joe is scary... he is not. But he and his leftists cabal who control him like a sock puppet will destroy this country with their commie policies.
But it might not exactly go the way that they would like for it to proceed. Just sayin.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:39 PM

I never looked at it from a disease/war/death standpoint, I always looked at it from a technology standpoint. My Grandpa was born in 1902. He literally saw the world go from horse and buggy to landing a man on the moon. I wonder if any other generation ever has or ever will see a leap of that magnitude.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwouscg View Post
I never looked at it from a disease/war/death standpoint, I always looked at it from a technology standpoint. My Grandpa was born in 1902. He literally saw the world go from horse and buggy to landing a man on the moon. I wonder if any other generation ever has or ever will see a leap of that magnitude.
Probably not. My grandmother was born in 1900 and died in 1995. I can't imagine what that degree of actual change would've been like to experience in the span of those years. I once heard it said that the era of that level of advancement is over. What we call innovation today amounts to nothing more than 'enhancement'. Planes, cars, ships are improved, but there's nothing earth-shatteringly new. The same holds true for phones, appliances, all technology - it gets better, but again, nothing 'new'. From the horse, to the car, to the moon was leap of epic proportions in a very short period of time. The iPhone 1 to the iPhone 10, not so much. Think about it - 60 years, give or take, to get from the plane to the moon, with little more than slide rulers and pencils. It's been over 50 years since Apollo 11....... and........????? FlexSeal? Shamwow? Cupfone? I jest, but, not entirely.

On the other point, I often say that if the people of today were somehow transported back to the time of the great western migration across the plains, there would be no one west of Independence, Missouri other than from native tribes.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:51 PM

Survive, Yes

Quote:
We will survive, it just won't look like something you're used to seeing. Yes the landscape will change and some of the "players" may be missing.