How to carry pistol-AR in a vehicle? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-02-2020, 12:38 PM

How to carry pistol-AR in a vehicle?

One of the touted advantages of a pistol AR or SBR is the maneuverability in a car, truck, SUV, etc. How do you carry such a firearm during normal day-to-day life?

James.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:23 PM

Good question. I saw a vertical mount in a Ferrari once for an AR15. The car was owned by a rock star in a heavy metal band. I lay mine on the floor, which isn't a good solution.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:14 PM

Sounds like Texas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 04:44 PM

I've been thinking about something like this for one of my shorter thumpsticks.

There a some variations available. I was thinking barrel down in the pouch and a velcro strap up higher to hold it. That's assuming you have bucket seats and no kids in the back. In my case it's a mini-cargo van with front seats only. The downside for me though is then I give up the quick and easy dropping the front seat forward for a desk. Small price.

Obviously NOT for leaving in while away from the vehicle. You would need some sort of lock box for stepping away from the vehicle. Under Texas law if you open carry a handgun in a vehicle under you LTC license it has to be in a holster. I guess that would count as having it holstered. So something to be considered with pistol AR or other type.

It will be interesting to see what ideas come up. I have the 8.5" KS47 pistol (7.62x39), PAK-9 pistol (9mm), and a Shockwave. All of which would be interesting as a vehicle carry.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 05-02-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Sounds like Texas!
When I was in high school, we just left it in the gun rack in the rear window, but, alas....
Old 05-02-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James3612 View Post
When I was in high school, we just left it in the gun rack in the rear window, but, alas....
I had a gun rack in my old pick up as did a ton of other people. But that was a different time. Wouldn’t it be nice if we still could but then they’d be stolen in a heartbeat. Never was a problem back then.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 05-02-2020, 08:52 PM

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by apipeguy; 05-03-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:53 PM

Well what is your goal here?

I tend to put AR Pistols into the "truck gun" category...meaning it's there as a backup in case the pistol on your belt isn't enough. Accordingly, however, it rides in a quick access safe.

But leaving any gun in a car/truck for any extended period of time and/or on a regular basis, is a questionable idea in this day and age given the number of car thieves in the world. Carrying an AR pistol out in the open on the back of a seat is not an idea I would personally entertain. YMMV.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:28 PM

Sneaky Bags or Vanquest
https://www.vanquest.com/ibex-26-backpack/
Old 05-03-2020, 12:38 AM

The guy I traded for the PAK-9 with brace used to just wedge his between his console and the passenger seat in his truck pointing down at an angle. I didn't think that was a good idea either.

Kinda hard to have it at the ready and still be secure, beit locked or just not flopping around. I don't carry mine or my Shockwave in the vehicle. I only pack up a bit if we go out of town overnight.

This works as a travel bag, range bag, or if I was going to want to keep either the pistol or the Shockwave handy, but inconspicuous for a day trip. With some considerations for being parked temporarily. The KS47 fits just snug enough inside to not flop around, but loose enough to pull it out without much trouble. Toss it on the passenger side floor or on the seat. Or I could tuck it behind the passenger seat lightly secured on the back to keep it from falling over. Then position the zippers so I could reach back, unzip and extract. Not that handy, but doable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolfstrike.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	582096

OP, what kind of vehicle are we talking about though. I don't recall seeing it mentioned. The cab of a full size truck and the interior of a Mini-Cooper are going to be an entirely different set of parameters.

If I was going to carry an AR/AK type pistol on a regular basis in a vehicle I would go with a weapon specific vehicle mount that allowed locking, but also some in the cab, reasonably quick access. Like most things in life, it's a matter of how much you want to spend and how much you want to modify your vehicle.

I think when people are talking about how handy and maneuverable they are in a vehicle it is usually in a military, contractor, or other capacity where unless you're the driver you are carrying the thing in your lap or tucked between your knees, barrel on the floor, open carry.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 05-03-2020, 07:22 AM

Thank you gentlemen.

I’ve been intrigued by the AR pistols, but I think of them as just something fun to shoot, and I have plenty of fun-shooters. So, I was thinking of alternate uses, including home and vehicle (mid-sized SUV or double-cab truck) defense, and how to effectively stage them. For the SUV, I wasn’t coming up with any ideas other than the soft case hanging off the passenger headrest.

The comment about the advantages being for the military/contractor use makes a lot of sense. I’m coming to the conclusion that, for me, AR pistols will be for fun-shooting, and I’ll have to decide when I’m ready for another such shooter.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:54 AM

I don't leave any guns in my vehicle for obvious reasons. When I do occasionally hit the range with my SBR I have a scabbard case with MOLLE straps and a few pouches attached. It is all black, as is my SBR and on the black carpet on the rear floor of my F250 it is invisible from the exterior of the truck. The pouches hold mags, suppressor, cleaning kit and copies of my tax stamps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9962D.jpg   IMG_9963D.jpg  
Old 05-03-2020, 08:48 AM

James, I like your idea of a soft case hanging from the headrest behind the seat. And M-Peltier's case is about perfect, especially if it could be hung vertically. My thinking is that the mount doesn't have to be fixed, or permanent. The rifle/SBR/AR pistol can be in the case and safely locked and secure in the truck while you're not there, and then taken into the home when you arrive there, if desired.

But when the rifle/SBR/AR pistol is in the truck with you, it's near and available, depending on the mounting situation. A quick release mount would be cool, but if not, you've got your handgun to lay down some fire until you can get the rifle out of the case and really fight.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James3612 View Post
One of the touted advantages of a pistol AR or SBR is the maneuverability in a car, truck, SUV, etc. How do you carry such a firearm during normal day-to-day life?

James.
James, remember here in Texas, a "pistol" has to be in a belt or shoulder holster, per the LTC. In your vehicle, if your "pistol" is not in a holster, it has to be concealed.

I paid for an SBR stamp, put a stock on mine, and now I can just have it on the seat next to me.

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association

Last edited by EL Perdido; 05-03-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Perdido View Post
I paid for an SBR stamp, put a stock on mine, and now I can just have it on the seat next to me.
Sorry for the slight drift but if you changed an existing pistol to an SBR what was the time frame for getting your stamp?

Old 05-03-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Sorry for the slight drift but if you changed an existing pistol to an SBR what was the time frame for getting your stamp?
32 days, Form 1, e-file

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 05-03-2020, 10:12 AM

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Perdido View Post
……...

Same here. I just jam it between the seat and center console on my way to the range. I don't really have a need to keep a long gun in my truck for day to day normal driving around town or to and from work.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:27 PM

Amos - who is the maker of the first bag you showed?

El Perdido - good reminder that the AR-pistol is a “handgun.” When the brace is added, that distinction becomes less obvious, but is extremely important.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:48 PM

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 05-03-2020, 04:21 PM

Sweet weapons. Daddy like.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye fan View Post
Same here. I just jam it between the seat and center console on my way to the range. I don't really have a need to keep a long gun in my truck for day to day normal driving around town or to and from work.

I carry mine like this too, but only if I know I am staying on hardball roads and for short distances. Dairy Queen drive through windows are not so good in front seat.

I often drive on dirt roads and back seat gun rack works best, and fast to get to. Too bumpy to carry in front seat. Stays secure. Tinted windows, hard to see when vehicles is parked. Great system. Bass pro shops.

Btw, in the winter I hang coats on the top hooks - hard to see AR. Hats work too, and it helps hide it in summer.
Attached Thumbnails
AEE6363C-A8A7-4CE6-B00C-E1DC75117CF2.jpeg  

Last edited by HarryO45; 05-03-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:05 PM

Also I carry my magazines in a 3 mag pouch. It hooks on the top hooks too, but under AR. I can grab it throw over my right shoulder and hangs under my left arm. If I have time I can hook to my belt and that is pretty nice as you can reload with strong hand in shooting position. Keeps your mags in a secure position. Very simple rig. If your interested I can post a picture.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I carry mine like this too, but only if I know I am staying on hardball roads and for short distances. Dairy Queen drive through windows are not so good in front seat.

I often drive on dirt roads and back seat gun rack works best, and fast to get to. Too bumpy to carry in front seat. Stays secure. Tinted windows, hard to see when vehicles is parked. Great system. Bass pro shops.

Btw, in the winter I hang coats on the top hooks - hard to see AR. Hats work too, and it helps hide it in summer.
Very nice, that's a good setup.

If I'm traveling far from home and have to spend the night some place I'll keep it in the bag and have it laying on the back seat.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye fan View Post

Wait...is that a picture of Taylor Swift on that mag. Cause that's hilarious if it is.