Changing Sights on a Staccato P - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-30-2019, 08:31 AM

Changing Sights on a Staccato P

The one thing I don't love about my Staccato P are the sights. The front sight is too wide and leaves little room to see your target on either side of the front sight post when viewed through the rear sight. I also greatly prefer a U-Notch rear sight.

Though they are the same basic set-up found on my Wilson Pistols (Fiber Optic Front Sight and Backed out Rear Sight), when I compare the sights on any of my Wilson's to the sights on my STI Staccato P the width of the notch on the rear sight is the same, but the Staccato's front sight is about 25% wider and pretty much fills the notch when aiming at a target. The sights on the STI are clearly set up for a defensive pistol. I prefer the front sight to be a bit thinner so the sights work well for target shooting as well. My Wilson's are defensive pistols and fill that role quite nicely even with the thinner front sight post.

That said, it looks like both the dovetails on the Staccato and Wilson slides are Novak Lo Mount cut. Am I correct that the dovetails are the same on both pistols? I ask because I want to have Wilson Sights installed on the Staccato - The thinner front sight and the U-Notch blacked out rear sight.

OR

The Front Sight on my STI DVC L is thinner than the front sights on both the Wilson and the Staccato P. Can I just buy the DVC L Front Sight and Install it on my Staccato? Does STI have a U-Notch rear sight option I can buy as well?

I Prefer The Thinner Fiber Optic Front Sight - What are my options for the Staccato? Will the Wilson Front Sight fit? STI Alternative Front Sight Options?

Width is the same but I Prefer a U-Notch Rear Sight - What are my options for the Staccato? Will the Wilson Rear Battlesight fit? STI U-Notch Rear Sight Options?

Old 12-30-2019, 08:59 AM

Call Dawson Precision. They will have a narrower front f/o front sight sight for you.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrish View Post
The one thing I don't love about my Staccato P are the sights. The front sight is too wide and leaves little room to see your target on either side of the front sight post when viewed through the rear sight. I also greatly prefer a U-Notch rear sight.
As I prefer fully adjustable sights on any of my "range" guns, I went with the No-Mar rear conversion with a Dawson 130T/100W FO front. Couldn't be happier with the sight picture.

If your staying fixed, Dawson or Kensight should be able to accommodate a U-notch rear.
Attached Thumbnails
STI Bomar2.png   STI Bomar3.png  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
The Front Sight on my STI DVC L is thinner than the front sights on both the Wilson and the Staccato P. Can I just buy the DVC L Front Sight and Install it on my Staccato?
I'm thinking no, while Dawson does have various width STI front sights they show Staccato front sights separately. I believe the Staccato sights use a little bit wider dovetail, well at least when I hold up spare STI sights up to my Staccato they feel loose in the dovetail. On a side, I do know they use a different size fiber too.

But you could always call Dave and he might be able to fix you up.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
I'm thinking no, while Dawson does have various width STI front sights they show Staccato front sights separately. I believe the Staccato sights use a little bit wider dovetail, well at least when I hold up spare STI sights up to my Staccato they feel loose in the dovetail. On a side, I do know they use a different size fiber too.

But you could always call Dave and he might be able to fix you up.
This is the series that my 020-049 sight came from:

https://dawsonprecision.com/sti-fibe...-front-sights/

This front was installed, while I waited, at Dawson after discussing the height I estimated with Dave himself. He also verified/shot the Stac P and agreed with my choice.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNSnHOGS View Post
This is the series that my 020-049 sight came from:

https://dawsonprecision.com/sti-fibe...-front-sights/

This front was installed, while I waited, at Dawson after discussing the height I estimated with Dave himself. He also verified/shot the Stac P and agreed with my choice.
Great, thanks! This looks like the way to go for the front sight. Curious which height and width you ordered?
Old 12-30-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Great, thanks! This looks like the way to go for the front sight. Curious which height and width you ordered?
As a "Senior" shooter with Senior eyes, I find it really helps my sight alignment if there's a bit of daylight around the sides of the front sight sitting in the rear cutout.
Since the rear uses a .115 notch, the .100W front gives me the sight picture I'm after.

Height had to come down via range testing and using Dawson's calculator since the BoMar style sits lower in the slide. My POA/POI settled on .130" tall.

HTHs
Old 12-30-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
As a "Senior" shooter with Senior eyes, I find it really helps my sight alignment if there's a bit of daylight around the sides of the front sight sitting in the rear cutout.
Since the rear uses a .115 notch, the .100W front gives me the sight picture I'm after.

Height had to come down via range testing and using Dawson's calculator since the BoMar style sits lower in the slide. My POA/POI settled on .130" tall.

HTHs
I'm pretty sure the rear notch on the staccato rear sight is .145". That's what my Wilson Rear Sights are, and the notch is the same width. All six of my Wilson's are 9mm Compacts and the F/O front sights are .170 high and .125" wide.

So I'm going to put the Wilson battle sight on my Staccato and a Dawson Precision F/O ramped ramped front sight the same measurements as my Wilson's. Wilson uses a different front sight cut than STI, but Dawson makes front sights with the STI cut.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the rear notch on the staccato rear sight is .145". That's what my Wilson Rear Sights are, and the notch is the same width. All six of my Wilson's are 9mm Compacts and the F/O front sights are .170 high and .125" wide.

So I'm going to put the Wilson battle sight on my Staccato and a Dawson Precision F/O ramped ramped front sight the same measurements as my Wilson's. Wilson uses a different front sight cut than STI, but Dawson makes front sights with the STI cut.
Just checked my STI rear notch, and it's .134" wide.....

Stock front is .180 tall by .135" wide.

The Wilson rear along with a Dawson front should work out just fine!! I think you'll have a great combination, and the Dawson's are available from .090" width and up.

The Dawson part number for a .170T X .125W would be #050-181.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-2019, 09:23 AM

I have both a 5" and 4.15" stacatto. The 5" has an adjustable rear sight and thinner "target" front sight, while the 4.15" has the fixed/ledge rear sight and wider, combat front sight. The bigger front sight is not as precise as the target sight, but it is certainly a little easier to find and focus on.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertrace View Post
I have both a 5" and 4.15" stacatto. The 5" has an adjustable rear sight and thinner "target" front sight, while the 4.15" has the fixed/ledge rear sight and wider, combat front sight. The bigger front sight is not as precise as the target sight, but it is certainly a little easier to find and focus on.
What 5" STACCATO do you have? Is it one of the new models for 2020? Up until last week there were on two Staccato's; The Staccato C with a 3.9", and the Staccato P with a 4.15" Barrel.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:37 PM

Trace has a limited run of guns that were made specifically for the Texas Rangers law enforcement agency.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:38 PM

Here is his original post.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=999524
Old 01-02-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
Thanks! Very Cool!
Old 01-03-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Just checked my STI rear notch, and it's .134" wide.....

Stock front is .180 tall by .135" wide.

The Wilson rear along with a Dawson front should work out just fine!! I think you'll have a great combination, and the Dawson's are available from .090" width and up.

The Dawson part number for a .170T X .125W would be #050-181.

Good luck!
What tool do you use to measure? Thx
Old 01-27-2020, 07:51 PM

i want to put a rear adjustable on Staccato C

Any brand or suggestions that will keep rear looking the same.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1127 View Post
What tool do you use to measure? Thx
Steven:

IIRC, I used a digital caliper on the front, and confirmed the rear notch using these:

https://www.shars.com/061-250-minus-...st-certificate

I also like to use a digital micrometer when the application warrants.