SR1911 LW CMD extractor adjustment - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-21-2020, 04:16 PM

SR1911 LW CMD extractor adjustment

I have about 100 rounds through my 9mm LW CMD. I realize it's still breaking in, but I'm having some FTF issues. Occasionally the slide wont go the last 1/4" into battery. I give it a bump to the rear and then it seats. It's been well lubed. I've been reading up on extractor adjustment (never done it). A loaded round holds in place with minor to moderate shaking. It looks like the end of the hook is too long. It is bottoming in the extractor groove and causing the case to tilt slightly. Is this normal? I'll re-read the extractor adjustment threads, but would appreciate any tips/advice. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
20200121_170743_1579644992136.jpg  
Old 01-21-2020, 04:47 PM

Im looking at the extractor adjustment post in the gunsmithing forum, it seems like I need to stone down "B" a little so the claw is not pressing against the groove. This says the claw should not touch the case anywhere and shows a photo that way.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=829865
Old 01-21-2020, 06:19 PM

Many 9mm extractors are set up like that. And many say that the 9mm extractor should be set up the same as the .45. Both work.

If the extractor is the problem, I wouldn't shorten the hook. Instead, just lightly smooth off any sharp corners or edges on the hook that might interfere with the case from sliding up under the hook.

Someone may have values for tension and deflection (if different from .45).

Also check that the chamber is not tight. remove the barrel and drop a box or two of the ammo that's not feeding into the chamber to make sure they all drop into and out of the chamber freely.

-

Last edited by megafiddle; 01-21-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 07:04 PM

Further reading and a video seem to indicate that the 9mm extractor should contact the case as mine does. This is different than the .45 extractor. I dont understand why they would be different, but apparently they are. I just carefully stoned the lower edge of the hook slightly to aid in the cartridge's journey under the hook. It seems to pass the shake test with a loaded cartridge. I'll make another range trip this week. Maybe it just needs more break in.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:06 PM

Oh, I did lightly polish the feed ramp and top of the chamber. I tried several rounds dropping into the chamber. They all went in smooth as silk.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:28 PM

Do you get the same bit of bump when slowly allowing the slide to move forward without a round in the chamber?

There are other things that may replicate the same symptom.

All the best in 2020,
Old 01-22-2020, 03:49 AM

No. It's just the last 1/4" before battery. And only occasionally.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:22 AM

That extractor looks like it has a good bit of breech face to hook clearance. It should be tuned. Whether on subscribes to the like a 45 or hook on the groove tuning, the gap between the rim is still a little generous. Likely tight, too.

Before doing anything else try this with an empty pistol. Hold the pistol muzzle up and slowly close the slide. It should close. Now repeat the the muzzle pointing down. If the slide stops short of battery with the muzzle down you may have a tight bushing.

If that test doesn't reveal anything, remove the extractor and see if the feed issue persists. If not, good chance the issue is with the extractor. If it does persist without the extractor, the error has other origins or contributing causes.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 01-22-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:30 AM

Thanks. When empty the slide closes fine in any position.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:28 AM

Well, I did 3 things to it. 1- Carefully stoned the lower edge of the claw to help the rim slip under it, 2- reduced the extractor tension just a tad, and 3 - polished the feed ramp and chamber top a little. Then yesterday I put about 75 rounds of FMJ reloads through it. It ran perfectly :-) I'll go back next week and run it again.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:59 PM

ndchf,
Sounds good, since you already have it running this may be redundant, but one place that seems to be neglected is the breech face, where the base of the case must slide into place. I have been known to use very fine emery paper on the breech face just to smooth things out. Don't change any angles just slick it up a bit. hth
Best,
Rob
Old 01-25-2020, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'm off to the range tomorrow to give it more exercise.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:40 PM

I put another 200+ rounds through it today. Reloads, Geco 115gr and Federal hollowpoints. I had one FTF with a reload. A bump to the slide seated it.Other than that, it ran perfectly. I'm starting to love this pistol!