Top 7 to weather EMP - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-23-2019, 07:16 PM

Top 7 to weather EMP

I've recently read there is some concern over over the abilities of bad actors to launch a nuclear attack against the power grid in the USA.

What are seven items that might be keys to survival?

Prescription meds (1)would be at the top of my list, as well as bottled water(2)---lots of bottled water.
Then fuel (3)---gas for the car and generator(4), plus Coleman fuel and kerosene to fire any camping lanterns(5) and camp stoves (6)I have, and finally, a bicycle(7) to conserve auto gas.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:34 PM

Optimistic need of gas for a car.....but then where is it you plan on going?
Old 06-23-2019, 08:03 PM

With all my health issues all I need is a diet plan to lose enough weight so I can bend over and kiss my ass goodbye

Why worry? FEMA will save us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 08:08 PM

Ill play. Location may play a big roll in this list for me, as Im in East Tennessee, and have an abundance of mountain streams and rivers to draw fresh water from if need be. Aside from weapons and ammo, in no order,
1 medical supplies
2 canned/storable foods
3 toiletries
4 generators and fuel (including vehicle fuel, if they’d even crank)
5 shortwave radio/walkies
6 candles/lanterns with oil
7 batteries
Old 06-23-2019, 08:59 PM

I was thinking more about the lack of being able to pump gas, rather than the effect of an EMP on engines
Old 06-24-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
I was thinking more about the lack of being able to pump gas, rather than the effect of an EMP on engines
Well said. When I am running on generator and several hours pass, my thoughts turn to how far is it to fuel. I burn about 5 gal/24 hrs. A number experience provided me with. Several weeks ago much of Dallas lost power. Many folks went 4 days without power. Many had to fuel away from their normal stations. Our vehicles are never put away without 1/2 tanks. That has been my rule for years. Our saying is “Make the gate”. Meaning the base, the farthest distance we ever travel in the local mega mess.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 AM

What is the National Emergency response for EMP events, I wonder?
Is there one?
When I was in the Army, we were told to bury redundant radios and gen sets, but that's about all I remember being taught on the subject.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:33 PM

If a vehicle engine still uses a rotor and points for ignition, chances are much better that it’ll start after an emp. Of course, any running vehicle will unfortunately make you a very juicy target.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:33 AM

Non-perishable food in quantity
water in quantity and a source/means of replenishment
Means of protection/securing what I want to keep
Tools (gardening, mechanical, etc.)
Gardening supplies and a means to preserve/process what I grow
Sanitation/medical supplies
Knowledge and skills on how to use the above

This assumes that I already have shelter and a somewhat secure location already, which I do. It also assumes that I am in good health/condition, which I am. I do have vehicles that "should" run, and stores of stabilized fuel, generators (portable gasoline-powered and whole-house with natural gas fuel supply plus propane conversion kits if needed), etc., but these are all things that will draw attention and/or consume things that are not easily replaced or replicated. I have bicycles and other "human-powered" devices. I even have livestock, including horses, but none of these are more important than the top 7 above.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:23 PM

Keys to survival are pretty basic.

You have to have shelter. Period
You have to have water. Period
You have to have food. Period
Security, weapons, ammo etc
Building materials to make or repair things you need and tools.
Fuel, gas, diesel and propane
Access to an electric source, generator, solar wind.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:06 PM

I have kind of a dumb question, is there a way to make a portable generator more quiet?

seems like the noise could make you a target.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimodo View Post
I have kind of a dumb question, is there a way to make a portable generator more quiet?

A little late to this game but: solar power. If you can keep your equipment sheltered from EMP: https://www.instructables.com/id/Amm...r-Power-Supply

Look up the book One Second Later (if you want to start losing sleep contemplating this topic):
https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-...s%2C164&sr=8-1

After reading this and his follow up book One Year Later, it becomes self evident that in the event of a serious power grid disruption lasting more than a few months, especially focusing on the disruption of distributing medicine, our pre-programmed DNA kicks in and a whole bunch of us are taking that glorious last ride.

The best solution is to prevent the EMP from happening in the first place, or have a defense against it. I wonder if congress actually thinks about these things. At least here in the Great Nation-State our power grid isn’t dependent upon the national grids but that provides me little comfort!
Captain, Sons of the American Revolution
Old 07-04-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimodo View Post

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/Pr...Quiet-Mufflers

I would think someone with middling mechanical abilities could fabricate or retrofit something from an ATV junkyard or something.

Interesting idea. I’ve considered trying to quiet my ATVs so as not to wake up my wife checking cows at night but never got serious about it. Seems I remember reading about the military having pretty good handle on the problem.

Where’s wccountryboy? Is he on “vacation” again? I’m sure he’d have a better answer.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinWiseGuy View Post
A little late to this game but: solar power. If you can keep your equipment sheltered from EMP: https://www.instructables.com/id/Amm...r-Power-Supply

Look up the book One Second Later (if you want to start losing sleep contemplating this topic):
https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-...s%2C164&sr=8-1

After reading this and his follow up book One Year Later, it becomes self evident that in the event of a serious power grid disruption lasting more than a few months, especially focusing on the disruption of distributing medicine, our pre-programmed DNA kicks in and a whole bunch of us are taking that glorious last ride.

The best solution is to prevent the EMP from happening in the first place, or have a defense against it. I wonder if congress actually thinks about these things. At least here in the Great Nation-State our power grid isn’t dependent upon the national grids but that provides me little comfort!
Don't forget about the 3rd book as well. The whole series is well written and gives one many things to consider.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Ok. I'll play as well. IF I could limit it to 7 categories...
1. Water source. I'd say in the long run it is more important to have a good purifying filter and collection system for water rather than stored water if it were a real situation.
2. Shelter, meaning protection from the elements in a secure location. Both wearable and structural.
3. Food stores, long and short term; with a plan for replenishment (seeds) and knowledge of raising livestock and farming with appropriate cooking equipment.
4. Weapons and ammo. Firearms and archery for protection and as part of the food replenishment plan. Edged weapons with the ability to re-sharpen.
5. First aid and medical supplies with at least first responder training and preferably advanced training and experience.
6. Lighting; candles, lanterns and flashlights
7. Knowledge of wild plants; poisonous vs non-poisonous, edible vs non-edible.