9mm 1911 front sight removal - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-19-2019, 09:11 AM

9mm 1911 front sight removal

So I just picked up another 1911, this rock is a really good shooter. However, the sights really suck. I picked up a hi-viz. my question is this. Does it matter which way you tap out the old sight?
Old 04-20-2019, 05:10 AM

Most all firearms are remove left to right and put on right to left.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:45 AM

Tapping out or in is not the best option, especially with modern firearms with tighter tolerance cuts. If you don't want to spend the money on a Wheeler sight tool (totally awesome and works with front and rear sights), you can jury-rig a pusher tool using C clamps. The problem with tapping out (or in) is bunging up the sight base. And if you try to use a Delrin or other synthetic, it will take forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogs00 View Post
So I just picked up another 1911, this rock is a really good shooter. However, the sights really suck. I picked up a hi-viz. my question is this. Does it matter which way you tap out the old sight?
Sights are the one thing I pay a pro to do on most of my 1911s. Especially RIAs since I usually have no clue what size they are. They may look like a Novak but most aren't.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:47 PM

RIA are an unauthorized Novak copy. My understanding is they are dimensionally different enough to be annoying.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:30 AM

Still haven’t changed these sights, but here is the 9mm next to big brother
Attached Thumbnails
5077E87A-1E76-4020-8868-F97F25AEA1CC_1557674998618.jpeg  
Old 06-04-2019, 08:27 AM

Annoying is true. Their dovetails are proprietary and nothing off the shelf will fit. I called them on this issue and that is what I was told. Of course for 250 bucks they will install it for you. My one and only beef with RIA. Proprietary dovetails on a 1911 ??? Gimme a break.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:51 AM

For $250 Novaks can do it using their sights. Had a slide done a few years back and the total bill was well under that.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:37 PM

So....

I've replaced the front site on my 9mm Standard FS and the rear "Novak" on my new .45 Standard FS.

For the 9mm I used a front fiber optic site from Dawson Precision and with about 10 minutes of sanding the base down on the site it fit the Rock dovetail. Just tell Dawson precision gun you've got and he'll get you fixed up.

For the .45 I added a Burris Fastfire redot that needed a base to replace the "Novak" on the rear. I ordered the rear mount from EGW and again with about 10-15 minutes with a jewelers file I removed enough material from the base to match the Rock dovetail. They have a fitment guide for which mount to order based on which gun you have. They obviously listed the Rock Island one.

Let me finish this out by saying while I am pretty handy, I am not a gunsmith. And as being a non-gunsmith fitting both of these parts was pretty damn easy. If you look and research long enough you'll find there are options for the Rock Islands to make life easy even though as in the case of the dovetails they aren't standard sized.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:40 PM

I replaced my front fiber optic with a truglo tfo novak cut. It took considerable file work but I got a nice fit. (take your time)