Should I gamble on a TRS? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-22-2020, 11:47 PM

Should I gamble on a TRS?

I found a TRS for $1500, used, with an unknown history.

It doesn’t appear to be abused, but it doesn’t look incredibly well cared for either. I’m just going by pictures here, and since it’ll be an internet purchase I’m somewhat flying blind here.

Would you guys gamble on a TRA for that cost?

I don’t hang out in this neighborhood much. I spent a bunch of time in the Springfield sub forum. This will (potentiality) by my first LB.

Thoughts?
Old 02-23-2020, 08:35 AM

I bought a used TRS about 2 years ago that sounds similar to what you are looking at. Though I only paid $1000 for it. I put in new springs and it has run 100% for me. I carry it out in the woods and such in a decent leather holster and don’t worry about the finish since it’s already got a lot of character.
I wouldn’t worry about the gun. The price seems high though for that condition.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:01 AM

I bought mine used 20 years ago? Dont know how many rounds ive put through it. I shoot it as good as any gun ive owned. Never jammed on me. Bought it used. Think i paid 1550. for it. Ive got many custom and stock handguns. Didnt think id like the thin grips. But in my hands mine shoots great. Just clean it up and shoot it. Gamble? I dont think so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2020, 09:41 AM

I don't believe it's a gamble, but I think the price is high. $1200 seems more reasonable to me for that gun with a fair amount of wear.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:58 AM

I'd have to see pics to see what "not incredibly well cared for" actually looks like before deciding if $1500 is a good price or not. Depending on condition $1500 could be a steal... either of the gun or of your cash. I've seen some awfully tempting prices on Baers lately, far less than $1500, just not on the TRS.

Like Chris says above, install new springs and drive it like you stole it. I've never had an issue w/ a used Baer that a new recoil spring didn't fix.
NRA Certified Instructor- Pistol
Old 02-23-2020, 01:23 PM
Administrator

I have a used, worn TRS. It's not for sale at any price...
Old 02-23-2020, 02:05 PM

What is a TRS? I don't know if I just hit a dumb moment or if I really hit a dumb moment.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:27 PM

Looks like the point is moot anyways, since the gun is sold.

I don’t think I’ve ever put my hands on a LB yet, so I’m flying a little blind here. But, I’ve spent a good amount of time researching, and other than grip sizes being a little wonky, everyone seems to be fairly happy with their Baers.

I’ve sold off all of my Glock stuff, some rifle stuff, sold a shotgun, etc (bought a mr bullet feeder in 45 with that shotgun money), so I’m ready to jump back into 1911’s after some time off.

But, as I’m sure you guys have experienced, I’m about to put in a new floor, the cabinets need updating, the girlfriend wants a new stove, bla bla bla, so my budget for a 1911 is limited to $2k right now. And I’d like to see some change.

The only “problem” I have with Baers is that I never see any with rails. I love the aesthetics of a standard frame 1911, but having a light attached when out camping gives me a warm fuzzy.

So give me some suggestions. Otherwise I’ll end up with a plain Jane TRP.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
What is a TRS? I don't know if I just hit a dumb moment or if I really hit a dumb moment.
TRS = Thunder Ranch Special.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky619 View Post

The only “problem” I have with Baers is that I never see any with rails. I love the aesthetics of a standard frame 1911, but having a light attached when out camping gives me a warm fuzzy.

So give me some suggestions. Otherwise I’ll end up with a plain Jane TRP.
I have no help to offer re: a railed gun (does Baer do a railed 1911 at all? I’m not sure). I can say that, much like the gun you were originally looking at, I’ve seen fine-looking deals on used Baers over the last few months. Assorted Custom Carrys, UTCs, and TRSs have been in the mix. Especially the first two from what I’ve been seeing. Deals that would leave you at least some change from your 2-grand.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:14 PM

An example: I was able to get this well-specíd UTC gently-used from the original owner (via another 1911-specific forum) last year for $1800.
Attached Thumbnails
37F00870-F769-4723-8170-04CD8F587733.jpeg  
Old 02-24-2020, 12:20 PM

Baer used to make a railed defensive pistol. The name escapes me, but it was essentially a Custom Carry top end on a railed, Caspian frame. You still see them for sale in the used market occasionally.

Spooky, the TRS and UTC- and to a slightly lesser extent the Gunsite 1911 and Custom Carry- are all the same gun w/ different branding. While anyone of them will serve you equally well, the UTC or Custom Carry can probably be had at the lowest price point.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:13 PM

Thanks a bunch for the help! But, I think I found a deal on a new Concept IV, and I think I’m going to jump on it when my money gets released from PayPal jail (I’m not a huge EBay seller, so it takes a bit to get my money I guess).

From what I’m gathering, I can’t really go wrong with any model. I’m not huge into target sights, which would have opened up the doors for some great deals on other models, but I’m really looking for a fixed sight gun.

Is there anything noteworthy about a stainless/carbon combo from LB?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I donít think Iíve ever put my hands on a LB yet, so Iím flying a little blind here. But, Iíve spent a good amount of time researching, and other than grip sizes being a little wonky, everyone seems to be fairly happy with their Baers.
Hey!. Hang in there and be ready to pull the trigger on a TRS. The TRS is a great pistol. You might think about the UTC that essentially replaced the TRS. Baer pistols are solid guns and clean up very nicely.

Good TRS Hunting,
Fazer
Old 02-24-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the help! But, I think I found a deal on a new Concept IV, and I think Iím going to jump on it when my money gets released from PayPal jail (Iím not a huge EBay seller, so it takes a bit to get my money I guess).

From what Iím gathering, I canít really go wrong with any model. Iím not huge into target sights, which would have opened up the doors for some great deals on other models, but Iím really looking for a fixed sight gun.

Is there anything noteworthy about a stainless/carbon combo from LB?
Nothing wrong with it. As I've said before re Baers, it just depends on what flavor P II you like.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:01 AM

I wouldnt worry too much if the condition is just worn finish. But I wouldnt pay that much for it in the current market.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurch View Post
I wouldnt worry too much if the condition is just worn finish. But I wouldnt pay that much for it in the current market.
I didn’t. If you look at the thread directly below this one, I just bought a Concept 4.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post
I concur, my vintage 2000 used, worn TRS is priceless to me

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 03-03-2020, 04:52 PM

$1500 is too high. Offer $1200 and don't go above $1350.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 03-19-2020, 08:30 AM

If I had $2k burning a hole in my pocket for a railed 1911 I would pop for a Springer full rail TRP. I have a half rail I built. The balance and shooting character is positive and pleasant. One in 9mm could be the cat’s meow.

I guess a railed Baer option would be viable for the LB aficionados. Bummer your desired maker doesn’t build a rail gun.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:20 AM

I just bought a New Baer Thunder Ranch Special that’s been sitting in the case of the local gun shop for quite a while. Really nice piece, I ran 300rds through it this past Tuesday. Past the first mag which had 2 rds not allow the slide to go fully into battery (reloads) it ran perfectly.

They where asking $2250 for it and after a bit of haggling it came home for $1950. I’ll say Les & the boys don’t spend much on the packaging �� but the gun really works.

Shooting it several things came to light, it shoots a bit high & left, some the gun & a lot me. Putting my bore laser in it shows it is indeed a little left showing the laser on the left corner of the front sight and high. So when I clean it I’ll drift the rear enough to put the laser on the rh corner of the front sight, we’ll call it owner compensation.

I might add a set of regular thick red cocobolo double diamond grips to it because the TRS grips while nice are a bit thin for me.

I’ll add that after the 300rds the gun works very smoothly, still very tight but very nicely. May at some point contact Les about an adjustable rear sight,, maybe..... does anyone know what sight cuts they use on these guns ?

Last edited by passx; 03-19-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post
This!!!!!
Old 03-21-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer386 View Post
Hey!. Hang in there and be ready to pull the trigger on a TRS. The TRS is a great pistol. You might think about the UTC that essentially replaced the TRS. Baer pistols are solid guns and clean up very nicely.

Good TRS Hunting,
Fazer
I thought that the Gunsite model is the same as the TRS save for branding?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:31 PM

Any leads on a TRS now? Well used is preferred by me!