Ed Brown Magazines - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-24-2018, 05:56 PM

Ed Brown Magazines

Received an email, Ed Brown is running specials on magazines.

https://www.edbrown.com/product-category/magazines/
Old 07-24-2018, 06:42 PM

Great prices on great mags. I didn't want to go through the order page, how much is shipping?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:01 PM

Says flat rate $12.95. One or twenty.
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 11:56 AM

Why do the Brown full size 9mm magazines only hold 9 while the Wilson ETMs hold 10 ? Same with 38 super ?
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 07-25-2018, 12:02 PM

Brown's flush fit .45 mags hold seven. Their 8-rounders have a longer tube. Many companies are trying to cram eight rounds into a seven round body.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 PM

Might be the reason I have not had an issue with their seven round mag. And I like the flush look much better as well.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:06 PM

They've been running this sale for a while now.

To date, I've found the Ed Brown mags to be the best. I had a feeding issue with my Special Forces. I called customer service and they said, "OK, send it in and we'll...wait, what mags are you using?" When I told them, they said they would send me an Ed Brown mag to try first.

True to their word an Ed Brown 7 round mag showed up in the mail. I already had one other. I put several hundred rounds through the gun with those two mags without a single issue. So, I bought a couple more.

$12.95 sounds expensive for shipping, but only if you're buying one mag. I'm going to grab a few this time 'round. I don't care who actually manufactures them, they're great mags.

www.blackrivertraining.com
Old 08-03-2018, 01:31 PM

There is no better time than now to buy Ed Brown Magazines. All of our mags are priced better than ever (starting as low as $19.95) and I know you will be happy with the performance we provide. Since all of them are covered by our No BS Lifetime Warranty, what do you have to loose? Better performance, better warranty, better pricing what more could you want?
Old 08-03-2018, 03:39 PM

I don't trust anything but Wilson Magazines in my 1911's all from experience.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryevans126 View Post
Have you ever used any of the current Ed Brown magazines? If not then this is a pretty irrelevant take.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:27 PM

If your looking for 7 rounders take a look at Brownells.
https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...rance%7cRebate
Old 08-03-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longone View Post
If your looking for 7 rounders take a look at Brownells.
Thanks for the heads up. I just got 4 new mags at $15.99 each and they were shipped free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryevans126 View Post
This is a mistake. Wilson makes good stuff, but the Ed Brown mags are better. I've used many different mags to include three different Wilson designs. I think the Wilson ETM HD+P mags are very good and the new spring design is brilliant. Even so,the Ed Brown mags are better.

I wish Ed Brown would incorporate those square springs.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
This is a mistake. Wilson makes good stuff, but the Ed Brown mags are better. I've used many different mags to include three different Wilson designs. I think the Wilson ETM HD+P mags are very good and the new spring design is brilliant. Even so,the Ed Brown mags are better.
I wish Ed Brown would incorporate those square springs.
Maybe Wilson has a patent on the flat wire spring.
Regardless, the most reliable magazine I have ever used is the Ed Brown seven round magazine.
The Ed Brown magazines have a indent that allows smoother insertion and replacement during drills.
I'd say the eight round at the standard $29.95 is as good as the Wilson 47D at $32.95. But I feel the ETM with flat wire is a bit better than the Ed Brown eight round and for the cost $45.95 it should be. Though it doesn't get the spring life they advertise.

We all have different experiences and favorites. No right or wrong, just what works in you individual pistols.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post
The Ed Brown magazines have a indent that allows smoother insertion and replacement during drills.
That is a feature I also like. Wilson's 47 series doesn't have that, though the ETM's do.

If you can't find the Ed Brown mags, and you've got to have them (those prices at Brownell's are very good, by the way), you can get the same mag without the Ed Brown logo as a CheckMate mag.

Top Gun Supply carries a full line of CheckMate mags. https://www.topgunsupply.com/magazin...heck-mate.html
Old 08-04-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Might be the reason I have not had an issue with their seven round mag. And I like the flush look much better as well.
Ditto Jim. I like the 7 rounders much better. Like you, I also go for the flush look.

PastorDW,
Old 08-04-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
What is this indent of which you speak? I have 5 7 round mags and 4 more on the way, but none of mine have any indent that I can see.

Quote:
I feel the ETM with flat wire is a bit better than the Ed Brown eight round.......Though it doesn't get the spring life they advertise.
Really? I had two ETM HD+P mags for a couple years now and they continue to work really well. The benefit of the flat spring is the lifetime warranty. If it ever wears out, they'll replace it for free. At least that was the deal when I bought mine. Maybe they've changed?

Even so, I like the 7 round mags from Ed Brown the best. They have a slightly steeper angle at the feed lips. I believe it's this angle that makes them more reliable.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
What is this indent of which you speak? I have 5 7 round mags and 4 more on the way, but none of mine have any indent that I can see.

Really? I had two ETM HD+P mags for a couple years now and they continue to work really well. The benefit of the flat spring is the lifetime warranty. If it ever wears out, they'll replace it for free. At least that was the deal when I bought mine. Maybe they've changed?
It could depend on when you bought your Ed Brown magazines. Current Brown magazines are CheckMate and have been for at least the past few years. I don't know what they were before, and they may not have had the dimple, but the CheckMate mags have it.

The dimple is at the top right side of the mag tube near the front. It allows the mag to clear the mag catch easier. Your ETM will also have it. If you have a Wilson 47, or McCormick mag for comparison, you'll be able to notice the difference as neither the Wilson 47 or McCormick mags have the dimple.

Last edited by jtq; 08-04-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:43 PM

I was looking for a resonable priced, good quaility mag to stock up on.
I ordered 10 of the 7 rounders from Brownells.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:

I don't believe the ETM ever had a lifetime warranty on the flat wire spring. But they are very good magazines. This is from their page. States tube only.

"Our magazine tubes have a lifetime satisfaction policy. Wilson Combat will replace any magazine tube that spreads, cracks or becomes unusable during normal use. Wilson Combat magazine springs and followers are considered consumable items and may require replacing after extensive use. Polymer baseplates can break if you drop a loaded magazine on a hard surface. We recommend metal baseplates for hard use."
Old 08-05-2018, 12:42 AM

It also says this on the ETM HD/+P mag page:
"Maximum longevity MAX flatwire spring will never lose optimum feeding tension as long as you own the magazine -guaranteed!"

Like I said, it may have changed, but this at least seems to me that they guarantee it will never wear out or lose tension. If you have some of these that have lost power, as you said you did in post #13, I would call Wilson and test this guarantee. Mine still work perfectly.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
It also says this on the ETM HD/+P mag page:
"Maximum longevity MAX flatwire spring will never lose optimum feeding tension as long as you own the magazine -guaranteed!"

Like I said, it may have changed, but this at least seems to me that they guarantee it will never wear out or lose tension. If you have some of these that have lost power, as you said you did in post #13, I would call Wilson and test this guarantee. Mine still work perfectly.

When I was shooting 1K a month with my 5" I used four mags, two round and two flat. I changed the springs twice in three years on the round and once on the flat. My shooting has diminished due to health, now it's mostly 4 1/4" or 4" pistols.

They say don't leave your mags loaded for a long time, rotate them. My Dad's Ithaca 1911 sat in the closet and wasn't shot since he brought it home from WW2 in 1945. In 2003 I took it out and ran the three loaded mags he had. No issues with the ammo or mags.

Last edited by JimF4M1s; 08-06-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:08 AM

The big difference between Wilson's 47D (and I'm pretty sure ETM) and the Checkmate hybrid design used for Brown magazines is that the Wilson abandons the controlled feed element of JMB's original design, and the Checkmate hybrid design does not.

That means... pretty much what it sounds like. Controlled feed means the round is guided by the feed lips more or less fully into the camber. The Wilson releases the round sooner and at a noticeably different angle. This isn't an oversight by Wilson; it has the effect of bypassing 3 point jams in many defective production guns. This lead to the 47D getting a reputation for a "cure-all" for bad 1911s. Crummy Colts made on a Friday afternoon would sometimes suddenly run like tops and start feeding hollow points if you used a 47D instead of the factory mag. They were great in a late 1990s Kimber I used to have for instance.

Since the odds of getting a 3 point jam in a properly set up Brown are on par with the odds of getting sucked into a neutron star on the way to Wendy's, my guess is that Brown prefers retaining controlled feed over using a magazine that deviates from JMB's basic operating concept. In a Brown the Wilson mag would fix a problem that isn't there and operates slightly differently from the magazine it was set up for and tested with.

With "nicer" 1911s I'd generally recommend using the magazine provided by the maker of the gun.

Last edited by CastleBravo; 08-06-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBravo View Post
The big difference between Wilson's 47D (and I'm pretty sure ETM) and the Checkmate hybrid design used for Brown magazines is that the Wilson abandons the controlled feed element of JMB's original design, and the Checkmate hybrid design does not...
I see you've read the "how-I-did-it-1911-magazines" articles.

Lots of hard work went into those two articles. The loss of controlled round feed is a claim the author makes in I believe both the first and the second article. I will note, he never proves the claim, even in the second article, especially in the part where he slow motion shows the feed cycle. A claim made, but not proven.

Wilson mags may in fact bypass controlled round feed. I'm not smart enough to really know. However, I haven't seen the evidence yet. I'll point out all the folks that use Wilson mags from nearly every 1911-centric training school to the USMC that spec'd the Wilson 7 round 47 for their most recent 1911 purchase (regardless of how well that whole purchase went - it wasn't a problem with the mags). These folks probably shoot at odd angles all the time, and probably as a part of routine training. My guess is if they did lose controlled round feed, we'd probably hear about it, and all these organizations would stop using them.

One of the stupidest take-aways that typically come from those articles is folks dump their Wilson mags, because of this loss of controlled round feed, for McCormick or Tripp mags because the article didn't say those lose controlled round feed. Of course not, they weren't included in the article. They have the same wadcutter feed lips as Wilson, and nearly every other mag maker uses, except the versions from CheckMate that can be had with either GI or hybrid feed lips.

My point is, if Wilson mags lose controlled round feed, that means that nearly every other mag currently sold (outside of CheckMate GI, and to a lesser extent their hybrid lipped mags) also lose controlled round feed, since they all use wadcutter feed lips.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
One of the stupidest take-aways that typically come from those articles is folks dump their Wilson mags, because of this loss of controlled round feed, for McCormick or Tripp mags because the article didn't say those lose controlled round feed.
Let me add - if you dumped your Wilson mags because you like McCormick or Tripp mags (or Ed Brown or CheckMate or whatever mag) because they gave you some feature you preferred I've got no problem with that, they are all good. However, if you dumped your Wilson mags for McCormick or Tripp mags hoping to regain controlled round feed, you aren't getting what you hoped, because they have the same feed lips as the Wilson mags.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:36 PM

I ordered a few, came in today. Bruised my finger loading them. Strongest spring ever much stronger than tripp even.