1911Forum banner

Moon clips or Auto Rim?

5K views 49 replies 31 participants last post by  Butthead 
#1 ·
Just picked up a S&W 1955 Target (45 ACP) from a friend and was debating weather to buy some auto rim brass or just stick with moon clips.
Wondering if the auto rim's would just get mixed up in the regular brass and be a pain. Well that and having to buy another conversion for my Dillon.
Like to hear your opinions...

#5 ·
I bought 100 Auto Rim cases, maybe ten years ago, and they're still sitting on the shelf.
I'll load 150 rounds into clips prior to the match, and it's nice to pick up one or two clips after each stage, rather than empty cases.

#6 ·
Definitely get the moon clips. WHEN they have 45 ACP it's sold everywhere FMJ, JHP, etc.
I don't know if I've ever seen 45AR on a shelf but I also don't think I've ever looked. I think I have the TK Custom loader, it definitely saves your hands. Some brass goes on easy and some does not at all. I made a de-mooner from a piece of 1/2" copper pipe- look at the profile of a purchased de-mooner and you'll see what you have to do. A minute or two with a hack saw/file.

#7 ·
I just shot my 625 for the first time yesterday. I had maybe half a dozen different .45 loads for it so I just loaded the chambers one at a time and poked them out with a stick afterwards.

I found 2 excellent loads--200 gr SWC with either 4.9gr. 231 or 6.0gr Unique so once I've decided what I'm going to shoot out of this revolver I'll load up the moon clips and have at it.

I use the Brownells tube-style de-mooner because it came with the gun and it's simple to use. On another forum a member detailed how he loads clips using a channel-lock pliers with taped up jaws. It's so easy to do that I haven't bothered to look at other tools.

RIMZ are plastic clips that don't require tools to load or unload. I've got more than enough steel clips so I'm keeping it simple. If I buy another .45 revolver on the other hand...oh wait--I have 2 1917s, a Brazilian '37 and a 25-2 but they're safe queens. I like shooting the 625.

#8 ·
Yah I guess you guys are right, I have a couple of 8-rounders and those clips are kind of handy and easy to clean up after. That BMT tool looks kind of nifty, I have the TK tool for my 9 & 357 but the 45 clips don't fit on that mandrel. I suppose with the BMT I'd need three different ones.

#9 ·
I use the same channel lock set up for .45 and my 8-shot .357--it's simple and it works. I found a foot long piece of tubing (I think it was a curtain rod) that would work for the .357, I filed the same sort of notch as on my brownells tool and it works. I plugged one end with a .44 casing and some tape and its worked ok so far.

#11 ·
Very timely thread for me. A couple of weeks ago I decided to dust off my 625 and start shooting it a lot more. Been testing loads using 45acp brass, 45 A/R brass and 45 GAP brass. With the slightly shorter GAP brass & moon clips it's slightly faster to load the cylinder.

I've made test loads in all 3 cases using the same bullet & powder charge. The only variable is OAL. I've done this, so far, with 3 different bullet/powder charge combinations and have found no significant difference in accuracy up to 25 yards. Testing continues.

I also added a set of CT LaserGrips a few days ago. Having some frustrations trying to "zero" them.

Pretty much decided I like using the A/R best. Saves all the mooning/de-mooning time. Bought an HKS speedloader from Midway to try but it will not "twist" far enough to capture the rims. Returning it today for another one (just assumed this one sample was defective). Does anyone else make speed loaders for the 25/625?

#13 ·
Does anyone else make speed loaders for the 25/625?
Sorry Rod. There isnt any decent affordable speedloaders for 45 AR that I have been able to find.

I have a couple 625s. After fighting the 45 primer size issues over the years I decided to shoot nothing but 45 GAP in them. There might be some large primer GAAP brass out there, but I bought about 15K once fired Speer GAP brass for almost free.

The bad part is the inner rim diameter is slightly smaller and ACP moons dont work. So I ordered up a bunch of EDM moonclips from HearthCo. So awesome.

All the power and accuracy of 45 ACP, but no primer issues.

#14 ·
Definitely moon clips. The beauty of .45 ACP moon clips is that you don't have to be picky about clip to brass fit. Just about any headstamp brass will work in run-of-the-mill moon clips. I picked up 100 Ranch Products moon clips, ages ago, for $35.00 - I'm sure they're more now, but not the prohibitive cost of any of the minor caliber 8-round clips (my .38 Super clips run $7 each).

I load up a bunch of clips, sitting in front of the TV, before a match and don't have to worry about loading at a match, pluss 100% brass recovery. While the BMT tool is slicker than snot on a glass doorknob, if you already have the TK tool, I'd just get the correct arbor.

Fits right in my range bag.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

#16 ·
I sold my 625JM but it was moonclips for me. I bought well over 100 of them from
https://www.ranchproducts.com/
A somewhat odd company but you send them money and you get moonclips for a fraction of retail pricing from the likes of S&W.
After I sold my gun I put a baggie full on e-bay with no minimum. Sadly. no bidders and the lot sold for $1.00. They cost me $6.00 to mail. Someone was smiling.

#17 ·
Full moon clips ARE speed loaders, and you don't need to fumble with any buttons or knobs. I find that my index finger goes into the hole in the middle, allowing extraction from the belt pouch, and loading is quick and easy.

#21 ·
Hi, I use Auto Rim for shooting and Moon clips for reloading in case of a concealed carry scenario. Since I don't carry my 45Acp revolvers, it's a moot point. I find the clips tedious even with the various tools. The two round clips are great as they fit in an ammo box, YMMV, Mike

#22 ·
Been shooting a pair of .45 ACP revolvers for many years, but only for fun range or plinking use with the '17 Colt going afield in a belt holster on occasion. Never for concealed carry (well, did tote the '17 Colt to work all day beneath a business suite once, just to say I did) and never for competition.

I like the Auto Rim case best for use in the revolvers.

#30 ·
Been shooting a pair of .45 ACP revolvers for many years, but only for fun range or plinking use with the '17 Colt going afield in a belt holster on occasion. Never for concealed carry (well, did tote the '17 Colt to work all day beneath a business suite once, just to say I did) and never for competition.

I like the Auto Rim case best for use in the revolvers.
When I had a hernia surgery I was placed on Light Duty as I could not wear a Duty Belt. So I was assigned Investigations and wore my S&W 1937 in a shoulder holster for a month.

#26 ·
I like both, and like mkk41 stated, all you will require is a different shell plate for Auto Rim. The cases are physically different (Rim) so I make a concerned effort to store the cases separately. Congrats, you’re going to love your S&W 25-2!

#27 ·
moon clips for me. I have a 325 Thunder ranch and run moon clips in it. I have some from TK and ranch products. They load easy for me without a tool however I use the ranch products tool to de-moon my brass. It works well and its pretty cheap.

#28 · (Edited)
I am still using Ranch Products clips I bought in 1990. They seem to last forever unless some R.O. steps on one. I love shooting moon clips on pins and steel and USPSA. Tom Kilhoffer (TK Custom) used to come to our matches and shoot moon clipped revolvers in semi auto class (we were pretty loose with the rules) and he would SMOKE EVERYBODY. Nobody could keep up with him. He is a shooting machine.

#29 ·
I use both, then again I have a mess of Starline auto rim brass. Quite a few yrs back Starliine sent me 500 of their new .45 AR brass, a preproduction lot. And asked if I would use it and report back my findings. They possibly saw one of my posts on the S&W forums on how crappy RP .45 AR brass held up?

I loaded and shot a few hundred rds, kept good records and reported back. Got a nice "Thank You" E mail from them and that was that.

Few more months pass and I get another free box of auto rim from them, so I have a good supply.

I like moon clips but the AR brass is nice to use for heavier loads I may not want for an auto. I load a 255 gr SWC over a dose of Herco that goes 950+ fps. A nice load should one encounter a deer or whatever afield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.