Need advice - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 07:06 PM

Need advice

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum, and 1911s in general. I have some experience shooting handguns, mainly glocks. I recently purchased a Springfield 911 380 for summer carry. I am absolutely in love with it! I like having a manual thumb safety, and the single action trigger is so smooth and crisp compared to what I’m used to. I have decided that my next purchase will be a full size, true 1911. My criteria is $1000 price range, made in USA, Novak style sights, and an ambi safety. (I’m right handed, but left eye dominant, and I shoot both hands equally as often, but I prefer to carry lefty) I’m leaning towards the Springfield loaded stainless. I’m looking for any suggestions though. Thanks guys!
Old 02-22-2020, 02:33 AM

Welcome.

There are many good choices in full size at your price range. Here you'll get a lot of recommendations for Colt and Springfield, but since you mentioned "stainless" may I suggest an alternative...the S&W e-Series.

(custom grips and S&A arched MSH added)

If the non-traditional slide serrations don't offend you, its a GREAT pistol. A series-70 design with forged frame, forged slide, match grade barrel and front strap checkering. I assume by "Novak style sights" you mean a fixed, two-dot rear...which the e-Series has, and they use a Novak cut on their slide if you want to go with genuine Novak sights. It does not come with ambi-safety, but that's an easy and inexpensive fix...although if you ever plan to carry it on your hip you may prefer single-side safety to avoid accidentally bumping it off, as I have done with my ambi-safety EDC.

I think its the best (sub-$1000) bang-for-your-buck 1911 out there., If you're willing to stretch your budget a few hundred more, I would absolutely recommend a Dan Wesson, which is probably the best bang-for-your-buck of ANY 1911. However, opinions differ. In the end you need to get the pistol that speaks to you, so try out as many as you can.

That's my $.02 Spend it how you will.

Last edited by Flight Medic; 02-22-2020 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:27 AM

Doubt you’ll be disappointed with a loaded Springfield. Mine have been reliable and accurate.
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 06:55 AM

Hi from North Dakota Can't help ya. I like mine blued.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:48 AM

The Smith and Wesson 1911's are the most under rated 1911's and are a great bargain.

Kimber also makes a great 1911 for the money.

You won't be disappointed with the S/A 1911's but their customer service is regarded as "great" for good reason! Too many of their firearms get to customers for Q/C!

Smiles,
Old 02-22-2020, 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone! I will have to take a look at the smiths and kimbers as well. I am not 100% decided on wanting stainless, what are the pros and cons of a stainless 1911?
Old 02-23-2020, 06:52 AM

I'm a Colt fan, have a few, but the new Ruger 1911 that I have is absolutely flawless, you might do a little research on them...Bill
Old 02-23-2020, 02:24 PM

Welcome to the forums from Virginia!
Old 02-24-2020, 04:40 AM

Welcome to our 1911 forum from Italy.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:31 PM

Hello from Kentucky.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:15 AM

Welcome and there are so many good choices for 70 series. Personally I like Blued over Stainless ones.
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:33 AM

Welcome to the Forum. You said your former experience was with Glocks. In that case, you may want to reconsider the weight of the full-sized 1911s. They are relatively heavy for carry use, if you decide to carry it. if you're tolerant of 3 pounds on your hip, or you're not going to carry, then weight isn't an issue and an all steel 5" (full-sized) gun will be perfect. If weight is an issue, then look at the light weight versions: Commander/LW Commander, CCO, Officers, Compact, S&W Scandium, etc.

Last edited by bradsvette; 02-29-2020 at 07:57 AM.