PING: CZ TSO owners - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 04:33 AM

PING: CZ TSO owners

I was thinking about buying a TSO for a range toy. I sold my STI Staccato-P to fund a precision rifle build, and planned to replace it down the road...but I've read such good things about the CZ that I figured I've give it a go. I've been looking online and noticed the .40 cal models are cheaper (and more abundantly available) than the 9mm models.

For those of you who own this gun, is there any benefit to owning the 9mm model, or should I save a couple hundred bucks and get the .40 Cal? I seriously doubt I will ever need a competition gun as I work weekends and have never seen any local events held during the week. This will strictly be a range toy.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:44 AM

Don't want to turn this into a 9 vs 40 debate but do you have other guns in 40 or would this be your first?

9mm ammo is cheaper so the price difference in the guns would be made up in ammo savings after a few k rounds.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:53 AM

I own the 9mm version both for cost and because of my old arthritic hands.

I thought about getting the CZ TSO for the longest time but didn't do anything about it until late last year. I just couldn't get over the whole non-blended magazine well. Just couldn't understand that.

Anyway I couldn't get it out of my head and finally decided to get one. I've only fired it once due to time of the season I got it and due to hernia surgery. For whatever reason when compared to my EDC X9L it was a disappointment. I"ve yet to hear that from anyone else but it was. Since it was only once I"ll have to do further comparisons later this year when the weather gets better. By the way the disappointment wasn't anything to due with accuracy it was just that it wasn't as nice to fire as the EDC X9L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 07:53 AM

I don't have a TSO but I do have a Phantom in 9mm that is a joy to shoot as a range toy. It also was used in local IDPA, steel, and a couple of times in USPSA. You say you are not interested in competition however if you are the big advantage goes to .40 in scoring unless you always figure to hit "A's". As a reloader I never noticed the big difference between the .40 and 9mm that everyone talks about.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:07 AM

As a bit of an aside and thread jack, I was actually looking at a TSO the other day and the shop had a custom shop A01-LD.

Man, that was a nice gun! The trigger was amazing, but still had the CZ safety so not for me. Shop guy speculated it was a trial run for the upcoming DWX and if it is... dang, that'll be a winner with a proper safety if they get the trigger right.

https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz...sa-a01-ld.html
Old 02-15-2020, 08:17 AM

Also not to hijack the thread. . . I have an A01-LD. Really a well-made gun. As far as 40 vs 9; I prefer the 40 cal. in general, but if and when I buy a TSO, it'll likely be 9, since due to cost, I have to reload all my 40 ammo, but can buy cheap 9 by the case and skip the reloading.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:43 AM

9mm should be cheaper to shoot and would likely recoil less. Unless it would be used for competition I personally would choose the 9mm. I had the 9mm but sold it to my best friend who wanted it really bad. To be honest it was boringly accurate and I went through ammo really fast as it holds 21 rounds. It felt like I spent all my time at the gun range setting up all the steel targets constantly. I will say that I miss having it, they are sweet to shoot, super accurate, have an amazing trigger and feel great in the hand. IMHO, I think they are a steal.
Good luck!
Old 02-15-2020, 10:55 AM

I don't have the Orange, I have the original Tactical Sport in .40. It's a great shooting pistol. If you're just looking for a range toy, you might consider going that way. Another thing to consider is that you can get one in .40 and get a complete 9mm upper from Cajun for around$600, add a couple mags and you have two pistols for not much more than one 9mm.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:57 AM

Definitely for USPSA you want the 40. I bought mine used that was originally 9mm. Previous owner bought a 40 cal upper with adjustable sights. I've only shot the 9mm the day I test fired it.

I've shot Single Stack for years with my 45. I have a CZ75b single action only 9mm that I love. I wanted to shoot it in Limited for a change of pace and did. A buddy showed me his CZ tac sport and it was nice but I wasn't going to search for one. Couple of days later another shooter was selling his. Ended up buying it. Great gun. With the weight 40 is easy shooting. So lately I've been shooting Limited. Very soft recoil with the 9mm upper.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:09 AM

If you intend to use it in USPSA you should probably get the .40, for anything else the 9mm is likely better
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-15-2020, 11:23 AM

Seems like the OP wants it as a range toy and not for competition: in that case, the 9 is a no brainer, unless he likes to reload or has lotsa discretionary income.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:30 PM

I have a TSO in 9mm. I don't compete with it. I use it strictly to see how small of groups I can shoot with it. I don't own a 40 so the choice was easy.

It is a ridiculously accurate gun that is just heads and shoulders above any other handgun I own, to include all of my semi custom 1911's.

It's that good.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
It is a ridiculously accurate gun that is just heads and shoulders above any other handgun I own, to include all of my semi custom 1911's.
Concur, even though mine is the older TS in 40 w/ some CZC Upgrades.

Simply Phenomenal gun for the money.

Only real caveat is that small hands need not apply.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:53 AM

I own a TSO in 9mm. It is great. It is very accurate. I think I can get slightly better groups out of my Les Baer Heavyweight Monolith 9mm with 3.5# trigger and "1.5 inch accuracy guarantee." However, that could just be me.

I will also say I preferred the TSO to my CZ Custom Accushadow 2; it is a bit hard to say why; it is probably the trigger.

As others have mentioned, I am eager to try a Dan Wesson DWX and see how it compares. If you're not in a hurry, you could wait to see if that is getting phenomenal reviews or not. Ideally, you could hold both and try the triggers.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
As others have mentioned, I am eager to try a Dan Wesson DWX and see how it compares. If you're not in a hurry, you could wait to see if that is getting phenomenal reviews or not. Ideally, you could hold both and try the triggers.
Might be a bit of a wait. I was talking to one of our local LGS who carry a good bit of CZ and he didn't expect to see one there until next year.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
Might be a bit of a wait. I was talking to one of our local LGS who carry a good bit of CZ and he didn't expect to see one there until next year.
Well, that is not exciting news. It will also cost me money because I have been holding off on getting some other things until I tried a DWX. I wish gun companies wouldn't tease us with things until they're ready to ship. If I wanted to learn patience, I would start meditating.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullySupported View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
Well, that is not exciting news. It will also cost me money because I have been holding off on getting some other things until I tried a DWX. I wish gun companies wouldn't tease us with things until they're ready to ship. If I wanted to learn patience, I would start meditating.
Agree. Might have held off on getting my EDC X9 if the DWX had any kind of release date, but I got impatient.

Glad I did, DWX compact does not interest me anymore!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:04 PM

I have a 9mm TSO. It's not a good gun. It's not a great gun. It's freaking AWESOME. The trigger is fantastic. The ergonomics are wonderful. It eats recoil like crazy. It's really accurate and easy to shoot well. Oh, and it's about as reliable a pistol as exists on the planet. No magazine tuning required either. The only gun I have shot that I liked more was a compensated STI (Stacatto?) XP. In fact, I am sorely tempted to get a Czechmate and be done with it.
Get a TSO. Enjoy.
Jeff
Old 02-17-2020, 05:53 AM

And I thought this was about golf clubs :-(

Bob
Old 02-18-2020, 06:19 AM

My 9mm CZ TSO is my first and only CZ (not my last though). Like some have posted, it is boringly accurate, with 124gr FMJ. Although the trigger is very light and adjustable (2.5 lbs according to my trigger pull scale), it still has a lot of creep. I can feel the entire length of the sear release. This isn’t a huge deal but I thought I’d post about it anyway.
I purchased and mounted a RDS sight mount from CZ Customs in AZ that accepts a variety of RDS including a DPP. I’m looking forward to shooting some steel as soon as it warms up a bit here in NH.
Attached Thumbnails
F8911DFE-EDF0-4360-868F-4F5619627FD3.jpeg  

Last edited by Sr. Oso; 02-18-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Oso View Post
Although the trigger is very light and adjustable (2.5 lbs according to my trigger pull scale), it still has a lot of creep.
Pick up the CZC flat trigger. adjusts down to under 1# with zero creep. Sure there will be a little take-up due to the hinged nature of the design. All you have to do is think about squeezing the trigger.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarosean View Post
Pick up the CZC flat trigger. adjusts down to under 1# with zero creep. Sure there will be a little take-up due to the hinged nature of the design. All you have to do is think about squeezing the trigger.
Thanks for the info- I’ll look into that trigger.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:09 PM

The OP said he wanted it for a “Range Toy”. No need for the 40 cal. Only the very very competitive shooters need the 40 cal. I absolutely love my TSO 9mm. I shoot USPSA for recreation purposes. My STI DVC 3 Gun gets the looks from the other competitors because it’s more recognizable than the CZ TSO.
Buy the CZ TSO in 9mm you wouldn’t regret it.
Attached Thumbnails
55A0B42B-5E83-4467-B836-D3B9D7654F7C.jpeg  
Old 02-19-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeedaudio View Post
The OP said he wanted it for a “Range Toy”. No need for the 40 cal. Only the very very competitive shooters need the 40 cal. I absolutely love my TSO 9mm. I shoot USPSA for recreation purposes. My STI DVC 3 Gun gets the looks from the other competitors because it’s more recognizable than the CZ TSO.
Buy the CZ TSO in 9mm you wouldn’t regret it.
How would you compare and contrast the three pistols in your photo? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2020, 07:51 AM

The TSO was on my short list RADAR screen until the DWX was announced. Since I reload I'd get the .40. I hope I'm not sorry.