Walmart to stop selling pistol and MSR ammo, ban open carry - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 01:58 PM

Walmart to stop selling pistol and MSR ammo, ban open carry

Walmart making some silly changes "in wake of El Paso".

I not sure what El Paso has to do with Walmart firearms and ammo policy, makes no sense at all.

News is reporting some are scared to shop in the store where people are open carrying! Really !!?? People are stupid.

Walmart is simply fostering another gun-free zone. Stupid.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisette.../#108c34094cb7
Old 09-03-2019, 02:43 PM

Wal Mart announces that

they will no longer sell pistol ammo or "assault" rifle ammo. Didn't say how they would handle ammo that fits all kinds. This does it for me - I'll have to find other places to buy my stuff.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:46 PM

They can keep their chinese commie crap. Shove it crapmart!!! I hate commies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 02:55 PM

Their selection is garbage anyways. Its not like they were doing us a service. All their gun products are trash as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2019, 02:58 PM

That's going to hurt Walmart in a lot more areas than they think.

Dick's Sporting goods got pummeled when they did this. Walk into any of them at this point and they're empty.

No surprise since Walmart also no longer wishes to be a US Company.

Still its about time some of these companies that do not wish to respect the constitution are pushed out to another country where they belong... like China for example.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:33 PM

Looks like the left is getting what they want. Our local stores always look like a storm just went through. A lot of empty shelves and the place is a wreck. Sam Walton must be spinning in his grave.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:39 PM

This article says they are stopping the sale of all ammo, nationwide used in "assault weapons". Is that 5.56mm and or .223 cal? What about pistol caliber carbines and 7.62mm?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/walmart-li...ry?id=65361629
Quote:
CEO Doug McMillon announced in a company memo Tuesday that Walmart will discontinue sales of some types of rifle ammunition, which are commonly used in some hunting rifles but can be used with military-style weapons.

In addition, the store will "sell through" and discontinue handgun ammunition as well as sales of handguns in Alaska, "marking our complete exit from handguns."
Old 09-03-2019, 04:19 PM

The remarks by the Walmart CEO are here:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/09/03/...u9N1DfZ35K7aDU

.223/5.56 are included if I read it correctly.

I figure this'll be like Dicks and Yeti. The unintended consequence will be that many who were going to purchase a lot of other stuff at Walmart while picking up ammo as well, will simply quit buying a lot of other items they'd have gotten while at Walmart.

Me? I cut up my Sams Club Card and mailed it back to Sams with a letter of explanation.

So no more Sams Club and no more Walmart.

The local stores will simply get even more of my business.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
This article says they are stopping the sale of all ammo, nationwide used in "assault weapons". Is that 5.56mm and or .223 cal? What about pistol caliber carbines and 7.62mm?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/walmart-li...ry?id=65361629
The idiots at CNN reported on the ammo part as "some short barrel ammo".

There are idiots all around us, and CNN either employs them or has them on as guests (less the sane folks who CNN will being on from time to time).

And get ready for it, the idiot lefty loons will now expect we tax payers to go rescue the Bahamas. The place is basically wiped out. With all the homeless I see across the US, we dont need to be spending $$ on the Bahamas.

No worries, I am sure Bernie will say everything for Bahamas will be free, and he'll want to allow them to vote in our 2020 elections !!
Old 09-03-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
The remarks by the Walmart CEO are here:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/09/03/...u9N1DfZ35K7aDU

.223/5.56 are included if I read it correctly.

I figure this'll be like Dicks and Yeti. The unintended consequence will be that many who were going to purchase a lot of other stuff at Walmart while picking up ammo as well, will simply quit buying a lot of other items they'd have gotten while at Walmart.

Me? I cut up my Sams Club Card and mailed it back to Sams with a letter of explanation.

So no more Sams Club and no more Walmart.

The local stores will simply get even more of my business.
In the long run, this will benefit the small mom and pop gun shops. In the 1990's through the last decade, Walmart caused lots of damage economically to small shops nationwide. At least this is a reversal in trend.

Walmart has about 20% of all ammo sales... this will now shift to the small gun shops. They estimate that with this move, Walmart will have only about 2% of ammo sales... presumably just .22LR and shot gun shells.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
In the long run, this will benefit the small mom and pop gun shops. In the 1990's through the last decade, Walmart caused lots of damage economically to small shops nationwide. At least this is a reversal in trend.

Walmart has about 20% of all ammo sales... this will now shift to the small gun shops. They estimate that with this move, Walmart will have only about 2% of ammo sales... presumably just .22LR and shot gun shells.
..... and online places too. That 20% supply chain has to go somewhere.

But, its really not about the ammo or guns at all, this is really about the stupid decision Walmart is making. "No open carry" in Walmarts? Why the F not, i like seeing the open carry folks, this way when shiat hits the fan I know who to communicate with. Most who do open carry typically wont do concealed carry, and if they wont go into Walmart because open carry is now banned it just makes the safety much much less.

Walmart is just making it harder for society to protect itself. Bad move.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Walmart has about 20% of all ammo sales... this will now shift to the small gun shops.
I would think it would shift to online retailers. Its hard for small shops to compete with large online retailers like SGAmmo.com. I would only buy from a local shop as a matter of convenience. If I was buying in any quantity, Id buy online.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:52 PM

If they wanted to apply principles, why don't they stop selling handgun ammo? Handguns are the most common murder guns. There are lots of 9mm AR carbines, and UZI carbines, so there goes 9mm. And also there are numerous 223 Remington fudd rifles, and many 308 Winchester black rifles. If they want stop selling all ammo that can be fed to black rifles all they would have left is shotshells (If we don't count guns like Saiga 12s), rimfire rounds (if we don't count rimfire look alikes the S&W M&P 22), and oddball rounds no one cares about. The average Walmartian isn't looking to buy a box of 6mm Remington or 257 Roberts.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:54 PM

I heard “handgun ammo and ammunition used in ‘assault rifles ‘and assault pistols to stop being sold”.

So, that leaves what shotgun and hunting rifles I guess? Either way its stupid and will probably hurt them.

I dont get ammo from them, but many people do. Did they verify the El Paso shooter bought his ammo there? So, whats the point? Political Theatrics.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
...Either way its stupid and will probably hurt them.
It will hardly make a dent in their $$$$ revenue numbers.

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsroom/company-facts
Quote:
For the fiscal year ended January 31, 2019, Walmart's total revenue was $514.4 billion. See our quarterly earnings results and annual reports for more financial information.
The total US firearm and ammo civilian market is a miserly $14 to $20 billion. That includes ALL firearms and All ammo sales from hundreds of manufacturers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/02/amer...e-numbers.html
Quote:
$13.5 billion Annual revenue of gun and ammunition manufacturing industry, with a $1.5 billion profit.
It's one of the reason that I scoff at the idea that the NRA has American politicians in it's pocket. The NRA and the entirety of the firearms industry doesn't have the kind of coin other industries like the pharmaceuticals and telecom have. Heck... Apple does $62.9 billion a year. They can eat our lunch and spit it out if they really wanted to.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:30 PM

They will lose a lot of business and will eventually, quietly resume pistol ammo and .223 sales.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 09-03-2019, 05:38 PM

One by one these stores could fall to public and peer pressure on selling guns and ammo? If the 2A protects them from taking our guns then stopping ammo availability is next.

Fact the shooter started in the Walmart parking lot he brought his own ammo to the shootout?

My cudo’s to the Leo’s for stopping the shooter so fast.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 09-03-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDawg View Post
they will no longer sell pistol ammo or "assault" rifle ammo. Didn't say how they would handle ammo that fits all kinds. This does it for me - I'll have to find other places to buy my stuff.
Start reloading.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 09-03-2019, 05:45 PM

At least around here Walmart "low low"ammo prices are higher than anywhere else in town.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:45 PM

I feel that Walmart's timing on this decision is a bad one. Walmart is going to take a real "kick in the crotch" with these heavy China tariffs that our Pres. put on, so add in this decision, and they may well see their bottom line headed South!! Money has ALWAYS been their motivator, so the CEO may find that he made a bad decision.....I certainly hope so!!
Old 09-03-2019, 05:54 PM

Walmart is making decisions based on what the future looks like. In the future, after the Democrat Lefties take control, anything associated with firearms will have a legal liability attached to it including ammo. Also, the demographic of the average Walmart customer is changing and will continue to change. The Walmart I go to now seems more like a third world country. Most of those people have little interest in ammo or hunting, fishing or shooting. This is just another taste of how life is going to be in our wonderful diverse multicultural America. You are being replaced. Enjoy the ride.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:00 PM

There are 100 other reasons why I avoid Walmart. This ain’t one of them.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDawg View Post
Wal Mart announces that...

... they're the most recent graduates, of the DICKLESS School of Retail (Mis)Management!
Old 09-03-2019, 06:41 PM

So they're not selling 7.62 and 5.56 but .308 and .223 are ok, right?
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:53 PM

I stopped shopping there around 15 years ago. Only in the most dire of needs do I go there.

Has nothing to do with guns.. and everything to do with the landscape across this country littered with broken little towns and boarded up businesses that used to thrive.. until Walmart came to town. Ditto for all the USA-made things that are now made in china because Walmart strongarmed the suppliers to make it cheaper.

I buy my boolits at Bass. They sell in nice big cases of 300 rounds for 230 ball .45.

I hope this move backfires on them. It won't, they make more money than God, but it's sure nice to dream.
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry