Mainspring Housing Brands - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-15-2019, 05:22 PM

Mainspring Housing Brands

The flat mainspring housing on a recently acquired Remington R1 Commander is not to my liking. It extends beyond the back edge of the frame. Is there any brand of housing that should be avoided for any reason? A quick search of Brownell’s online catalog revealed a number of brands in wide price ranges. Just want to avoid any junk, if there is such a thing. Recommendations appreciated. God bless
Old 08-15-2019, 11:23 PM

http://www.smithandalexander.com/spr-housing.html
Old 08-16-2019, 06:14 AM

Ed Brown.

Replaced the ILS housing on my Springfield Loaded and the flat housing on my Colt Classic. Both fit perfectly, no fitting required.

Highly recommended.

https://www.edbrown.com/product/gove...ring-housings/
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 09:22 AM

Most of the ones in the Brownells catalog are good to go, just pick the one with the features/finish you want. I don't know about any specific fitting issues with the Remington pistols. The one brand on Brownells to avoid is the John Masen brand. Most of their parts seem to have problems of some type or another.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:32 AM

I can personally vouch for Smith & Alexander. Excellent product, great folks. While their website is certainly stuck in 1997, if you call them, they are extremely helpful.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:08 AM

Most shooters want the MSH to protrude a small amount so the serrations/checkering makes better contact with their hand. Most of the power in your grip is from front to rear - not side to side.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:24 PM

I would also recommend EGW. I just put one of their arched serrated w/lanyard loop on a Springfield I own. The machining is great and it fit perfect.

http://www.egwguns.com/mainspring-housings/
Old 08-18-2019, 01:33 PM

Ed brown are probably my favorite for my Colts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit View Post
Is there any brand of housing that should be avoided for any reason?
The "John Masen" branded ones are on my never-buy-again list. The one I got was an undersized casting the rattled around in the frame. The retaining pin hole was rough and in the wrong place.

I've seen what look like identical housings marketed with other names. Whoever's name is on it, I recommend avoiding anything that isn't obviously machined on the sides. The frame slots are tightly dimensioned and a housing that's rough or not correctly machined is going to be more hassle than it's worth, even if it's free.