1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-07-2019, 04:46 PM
Administrator

A photo of my entire collection...

Well, entire collection of airguns, that is.

I was over my parents' house this weekend going through some old boxes full of my old junk, when I came across the one containing my BB and pellet guns from when I was a kid. I decided to bring them back home with me for an informal inventory and group them up with some recent additions. To look at how air guns have evolved since when I was a kid is mind-blowing. I started out into the world of guns at age ten with a Marksman BB repeater my dad gave me. He had owned it since he was young and passed it down to me. The thing looked like an overgrown 1911, but it was pathetically inaccurate and underpowered. Somehow over the years that one disappeared, as did a Daisy 95B lever action similar to the Red Ryder shown here. But my third was a Daisy 880 pump rifle that I got at age 12, which I still have (second from bottom in the pic). I murdered hundreds of tin cans with that thing, and frankly I'm surprised it's still running. My next one was the Crosman 357 at top right, a sturdy and accurate pellet pistol that also killed a lot of cans over the years. Sadly when I checked it out I discovered the seals are leaking, so I'll be looking at rebuilding it sometime. Sitting in a damp box in the crawlspace under a house for 30 years isn't very good for the rubber seals, apparently.

During that time I also got the Daisy 92 repeater (looks like a Beretta 92FS) and the Crosman Auto Air (AMT Automag II replica), but they were both pretty cheaply made and have horrible trigger pulls, so they literally have hardly any use. I also had a Daisy 1911 replica, but I remember it was a piece of junk as well and it too disappeared over the years.

A few years ago I was given the Tokyo Marui M1911A1 at center, which is an Airsoft gun. It works, but filling it with air is difficult as it uses special canisters. However it is extremely realistic both in looks and function to the real deal, and it at last piqued my interest into revisiting my old interest in airguns. A couple years later I bought the KWA/Remington M1911A1 to the left, which is an all-metal Co2 BB repeater, and I can tell you that it is a TON of fun. It runs and functions just like a real one, and more recently when Crosman came out with the DPMS SBR tactical rifle I bought one as well. It's so much like a real M4 SBR it's scary, with a full-auto function and working controls (it even accepts most AR accessories). Then finally this past weekend I picked up the SIG P365 replica at top left, which looks absolutely identical to my real P365 carry guns and will be used for draw & fire drills at home.

The Red Ryder was actually purchased by my dad a few months before he died back in 2009. When I found it this weekend it was still sealed in the box with the receipt attached. Why an 80 year-old man would buy himself a new Red Ryder is unknown, but I suspect he may have had one when he was a kid and a sense of nostalgia hit him as well. Either that or he intended to give it to one of the grandkids, who by now are now all grown up.

As I said, the realism of these new models is astounding, to the point where it's really hard to tell a real firearm from a replica. For example, below is the BB-firing P365 next to a real one:

I guess it's just as well that these modern ones didn't come out when I was a kid, because honestly I'm sure my parents would have never let me have air guns that looked too much like the real deal, even though I would've gladly mowed every single lawn in the neighborhood just to have a realistic M1911A1 or AR like these.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 07-07-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:04 PM

It is indeed amazing how realistic some modern BB guns are. I have a couple like your Remington 1911 pistol. They look, feel and sound like the real thing. It would be very easy for somebody to get hurt (shot) over these things.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:07 PM

Nice! I have been getting into airgunning, the last two years, and have got two air rifles and two air pistols.

Of the pistols, one is a "pumper" and the other is a Nitro Piston, both in .177 caliber pellet.

Of the rifles, I have a Ruger Impact "springer" in .22 caliber pellet, and a Benjamin Nitro Piston in .177 caliber pellet.

Maybe someday, I will pony up the money for a PCP rifle!
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 05:16 PM

Nice collection.

I have a few air guns myself. Since I live in the city limits I may not be able to go out my backdoor and fire anything however where I live air guns are legal. My biggest regret is that I lost track of that daisy lever gun I owned in the seventies. Much better quality back then as it had a better stock than they make nowadays. It wasn’t the basic Red Rider but something a little nicer.

Then again they also didn’t offer some of the better air guns that are now being made by some of the other companies we have now a days. For me it’s springers and a pump as I didn’t much care for the air tank pcp thing.

Last edited by Dddrees; 07-07-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
I have a few air guns myself. Since I live in the city limits I may not be able to go out my backdoor and fire anything however where I live air guns are legal. My biggest regret is that I lost track of that daisy lever gun I owned in the seventies. Much better quality back then as it had a better stock than they make nowadays. It wasn’t the basic Red Rider but something a little nicer.
Yeah I'm in city limits too, so I can't even shoot these airguns without taking a short drive to the woods. I'm working on making a decent BB trap for use indoors. And yes I also noticed how the quality of the legacy models has gone down in recent years. My Daisy 880 is mostly metal except for the plastic stocks, but the new ones are now all plastic except for the barrel tube. If they'd changed to material equal to what today's plastic firearms are made of it'd have been no big deal, but the plastic they actually use is toy-grade junk that cracks or breaks easily.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Yeah I'm in city limits too, so I can't even shoot these airguns without taking a short drive to the woods. I'm working on making a decent BB trap for use indoors. And yes I also noticed how the quality of the legacy models has gone down in recent years. My Daisy 880 is mostly metal except for the plastic stocks, but the new ones are now all plastic except for the barrel tube. If they'd changed to material equal to what today's plastic firearms are made of it'd have been no big deal, but the plastic they actually use is toy-grade junk that cracks or breaks easily.
I for one would be willing to pay a little extra for the better quality materials. After searching a bit I decided to get a Red Rider but it’s just not the same as the one I owned in the seventies. Really so sad so many things are so cheaply made anymore.

Good luck with your in door range. It certainly makes things a bit nicer being able to do a bit of target practice at home even if it’s only airguns.

Last edited by Dddrees; 07-07-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:03 PM

Very nice.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:31 PM

My 1967 Winchester bb gun along side my 1953 30-30. I've had the bb gun since Christmas of that year. I am almost 60 now and finally got the real thing this past year.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:40 PM

I've been wanting to upgrade my pellet guns.

Currently I have 3 .177 cal C02 Umarex replica guns, a S&W686, a Walther's P99 and a Desert Eagle.

The Fish and Wildlife Commission just declared open season on iguanas... basically asking property owners and Floridians to kill them whenever possible.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...le/1637307001/
Quote:
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which protects crocodiles and places strict guidelines on hunting deer, has put the scaly, yardlong-or-more creature also known as the green iguana on its hit list.

The commission issued a directive describing the green iguana as an invasive species, citing damage they wreak on seawalls, sidewalks and plants. The iguanas are protected only by anti-cruelty law, the commission adds.

Homeowners need not worry about permission to kill them.

"The (commission) encourages homeowners to kill green iguanas on their own property whenever possible," the directive says. "Iguanas can also be killed year-round and without a permit on 22 public lands in south Florida."
I have already taken out a couple of these iguanas, but those short barrel CO2 pistols just don't pack the punch. It takes 4 to 6 shots to the head to kill them, and I really don't like to see any animal, no matter how slimy, take too long to die. The thing is they have such small brain stems that you have to hit them just right behind the eardrums to destroy that tiny reptilian brain. Those .177 CO2 driven pellets out of a pistol just don't drive deep enough.

I had considered using my .22 LR/shorts Henry lever action with .22 shorts (quieter). I might also use my .22 Magnum Black Widow NAA mini-revolver which I used a few years back to put down a cotton mouth with the CCI shot shell. The shot shells are good because they spread apart from a distance of three to four feet and has enough energy to destroy the brain stem on slithery critters. It's just I hate for the neighbors to complain about hearing a gun shot and those .22 magnum shot shells are loud.

But air rifles are a good option. I have been toying with the idea of buying a PCP (Pre-charge Pneumatic) type rifles, but you need a compressor or pump to charge the cylinders up, something I am completely unfamiliar with.

But I am considering buying a larger bore, a .25 cal, PCP rifle like this one, which is capable of developing 45 ft/lbs of terminal kinetic energy, which is equal to a .22 short but a whole lot quieter.

Last edited by PolymerMan; 07-07-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKilgore View Post
It is indeed amazing how realistic some modern BB guns are. I have a couple like your Remington 1911 pistol. They look, feel and sound like the real thing. It would be very easy for somebody to get hurt (shot) over these things.
Already happened, I don't remember the details but the police shot a kid shooting a BB gun thinking it was real. Big news at the time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2019, 09:11 PM

For anyone considering a PCP air rifle, I'd highly recommend the Air Arms S510 Extra FAC. And in .22. Very high quality, which is reflected in the price. Dime sized groups at 50 yds, and unbelievably quiet, due to the built in shroud.

The simplest way to charge one is a hand pump, just like you'd pump up a bicycle tire with, only considerably harder. When the rifle is fully charged, it's at 200 atmospheres, or about 2900 psi. That's not a typo. You can easily shoot it 40 shots at full-power (it's adjustable), before it should be recharged.

Some guys use diving tanks, but a carbon fiber tank is preferred. Both need filled at a dive shop or similar. Compressors that are capable if this pressure level aren't common. I think many fire departments have one, if you know somebody...

I wouldn't spend my money on Umarex, you'll likely regret it.

These folks would be my vendor of choice, hands down. http://www.straightshooters.com/

L.

Last edited by L.E.; 07-07-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thig View Post
Already happened, I don't remember the details but the police shot a kid shooting a BB gun thinking it was real. Big news at the time.

And he also pointed it at the cops, if it's the story I remember.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
And he also pointed it at the cops, if it's the story I remember.
Yes, not saying it was the LEO fault in my opinion, just saying those BB guns look real.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Administrator

You're thinking of Tamir Rice, and while he didn't point it at the cops he allegedly had his hand on it. I'm not blaming him though because he was just a kid. The cop made a split-second decision, and it was the wrong one unfortunately.

When I was a kid I carried that 880 with me all the time while walking down the street to my friends' houses, and nobody thought anything of it. But I would never let a kid of mine do that sort of thing today, even in rural areas, and especially not with that DPMS SBR of mine. That thing looks, feels, and even operates just like a real M4 rifle. You can even separate the upper and lower and field strip it just like a real one.

Last edited by dsk; 07-07-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
For anyone considering a PCP air rifle, I'd highly recommend the Air Arms S510 Extra FAC. And in .22. Very high quality, which is reflected in the price. Dime sized groups at 50 yds, and unbelievably quiet, due to the built in shroud.

The simplest way to charge one is a hand pump, just like you'd pump up a bicycle tire with, only considerably harder. When the rifle is fully charged, it's at 200 atmospheres, or about 2900 psi. That's not a typo. You can easily shoot it 40 shots at full-power (it's adjustable), before it should be recharged.

Some guys use diving tanks, but a carbon fiber tank is preferred. Both need filled at a dive shop or similar. Compressors that are capable if this pressure level aren't common. I think many fire departments have one, if you know somebody...

I wouldn't spend my money on Umarex, you'll likely regret it.

These folks would be my vendor of choice, hands down. http://www.straightshooters.com/

L.
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-07-2019, 09:55 PM

I've always wanted one of the brocock/umberti cartridge type airguns.

are they still made? seems like a lot of work, but most likely not more than a black powder version.

that M4 gun seems like it would be a ton of fun.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:16 PM

I've got a few myself.
20130913_163558 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Old 07-07-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Thanks for the info!
PolymerMan, if you have any questions, shoot me a message. Some I'll be able to answer, some not. Adult air rifles are like everything else, there's some very serious stuff out there.
L.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:42 AM

I just picked up a Umarex Colt to shoot off the deck. Surprising how real they look. Some will argue that they shouldn’t look like real guns. I will argue that we shouldn’t have to worry about it.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:22 AM

I would have to go through several closets and storage to find all of mine. I have bought a few CO2 eaters like a "Colt Defender". Below at 12 yards across my living room while seated in a rocking chair.

Most of my air guns, however, are like my Daisy 747. Below I was testing it at 50 feet down my patio with some pointy pellets a friend gave me. It does better with the flat nose target pellets.

Thanks to this thread I am going to have to find one of the SIG 365 air pistols to go with my real one.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:51 AM

Nice "collection"!
Old 07-08-2019, 08:20 AM

"you'll shoot your eye out"

Somebody had to say it

Back in my teenage years I had several crossman air guns. Had the m16 replica and the uzi complete with folding stock. If I remember correctly the uzi was discontinued shortly after release due to legal issues.

Sad part is that growing up in NJ we had to drive to PA to buy air guns as NJ classified them as firearms

This thread sure does bring back some memories.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:33 AM

Dddrees--------------- Don't be bummed about losing that quality old Daisy you had. Just find an old one like it online & buy it.

I'm an old car guy. So of course I hear people tell me all the time "My 1966 Valiant was the best car ever, letting it go was the biggest mistake of my life"

Then I reply "There's three of them on craigslist right now under $2500"

-------------- Then, magically, their "biggest regret of their life" instantly turns into "yeah, but my wife...... no parking spot......." yadda yadda yadda.

Meaning that if they still had their Valiant they would sell it again anyhow.

Dude, get your BB gun. It's not a Parker shotgun, it's what? $100?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Dddrees--------------- Don't be bummed about losing that quality old Daisy you had. Just find an old one like it online & buy it.

I'm an old car guy. So of course I hear people tell me all the time "My 1966 Valiant was the best car ever, letting it go was the biggest mistake of my life"

Then I reply "There's three of them on craigslist right now under $2500"

-------------- Then, magically, their "biggest regret of their life" instantly turns into "yeah, but my wife...... no parking spot......." yadda yadda yadda.

Meaning that if they still had their Valiant they would sell it again anyhow.

Dude, get your BB gun. It's not a Parker shotgun, it's what? $100?
Actually I did try to go that route, but unfortunately I wasn't successful in finding what I was looking for. It probably didn't help that I have no clue what model number it was but I did look at whatever lever gun Daisies I could find. The problem was it had been so long and I just have no idea what actual model it was. I think it was something my dad and I saw at Sears.

The fortunate thing is that there are now other manufactures that make some very nice air rifles just none in the lever gun configuration. After doing a bit of research I decided to go with a springer from Air Arms called the Air Arms Pro Sport. I would probably still get a BB lever gun if I could find a good one but even some of the higher dollar ones I found recently aren't everything they are cracked up to be.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Had a few air rifles when I was a kid. Red Rider, PowerLine and some others. Had the Colt Python replica and a Daisy Powerline 45 1911 replica. The 1911 I credit for VASTLY improving my trigger control and recommend it to anyone. With a 3/4", 10lb, 2 bricks rubbing together trigger, if you can keep the sights on target through the trigger pull anything else is going to be easy as falling out of bed.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.