Cocked and locked - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-08-2019, 08:34 PM

Cocked and locked

How long do you keep your 1911 cocked and locked? Do you unload it at the end of the day. Or does it remain cocked and locked for longer periods of time?
Obviously when you are cleaning the pistol or preforming some type of matinence you would need to unload the pistol. But what about the person that carries a 1911 everyday and doesn’t go to the range , but say once a month.
Should they periodically unload and give the main spring a rest?
Thanks for your replies.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:39 PM

I certainly hope no one carries and only trains at the range once a month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-08-2019, 08:40 PM

Springs wear from use, not from compression over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 08:54 PM

I have five guns that I carry. Except for when cleaning they are all cocked and locked. Never any issues.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 06-08-2019, 08:57 PM

My carry 1911’s are always cocked and locked with a round in the chamber. They stay that way until cleaning time. I have 3 in my safe in this condition. Some of my other 1911’s that I don’t carry stay empty until I go to the range with them. My duty 1911 has stayed cocked and locked for 10 years. I recently retired that particular gun as my duty weapon. It had the original main spring until I retired it. I have since replaced the mainspring housing and mainspring. But having it cocked for 10 years hasn’t weakened the mainspring to the point of needing replacement.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:06 PM

I have several 1911s in my carry rotation . I do not unload and load them each time I put them into or out of the gun safe. They are in the safe loaded and cocked & locked. My thought is the more often you load and unload the weapon the more opportunity you have to have an accidental discharge. I am of course very careful when I do load or unload them and do it in a very safe manner. After I drop the magazine and I put the safety to the fire position, I grip the frame ( grip) below the grip safety and don’t depress it while I rack the slide. In that way even if I would somehow get my finger inside the trigger guard the gun could not discharge. Just my way of being extra safe. That being said why even load and unload it each time. When in the safe each loaded weapon has a 3x5 card in front of it saying Danger Loaded Weapon. . So in short mine are stored cocked and locked. By the way there is NEVER a loaded rifle or shotgun in my safe ... NEVER.
" I'm your Huckleberry "
Old 06-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp67 View Post
I certainly hope no one carries and only trains at the range once a month!
Anyone who carries and trains just once a month is still doing way better than your average civilian gun carrier, sad to say.

To answer the OP's question, 1911 mainsprings almost never wear out. The factory weight is actually overkill (meant to ensure ignition with hard military primers) and it could lose several pounds of force before you had misfires. Therefore you can either keep it cocked n' locked 24/7 or lower the hammer once in awhile for storage. Purely personal preference.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:40 PM

I keep it cocked unless I'm cleaning.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 06-08-2019, 09:41 PM

A CCW should be stored as carried, i.e., loaded & ready for peril. Always unchamber, clean & lube at least once a month as they get full of crap and lube dries out as well as runs to one end.

Guy Noir, private eye.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:59 PM

I didn't used to keep it cocked, but I have started lately.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:08 PM

I don’t ccw a [email protected] that much. I perfer the chambered, double action first shot cz85db or the cz82. My [email protected] is cocked and locked. I do change out the mags often.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 06-08-2019, 11:31 PM

Carry gun, house carry gun and a XD in the safe - all cocked and locked. Rotate magazines about once a month.

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 06-08-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
A CCW should be stored as carried, i.e., loaded & ready for peril. Always unchamber, clean & lube at least once a month as they get full of crap and lube dries out as well as runs to one end.
Other than between mags, or a breakdown for some inspection and cleaning, my SA mil-spec always sits con-1 w/o any worry of mag or spring issue. I use Wilson's 47D mags.

As for lube, never has any lube I have used gone dry or run, and I am in a hot dry place. I use Wilson's gun lube and its a tad sticky, but just a smidge in the right areas is all the gun needs. So, perhaps it depends on what lube used and the environment its in. But then again, my SA mil-spec will run a-ok dry

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 06-08-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:50 PM

As dsk pointed out - the 1911 was a weapon designed for the military and uses very strong springs that are not going to wear from storage - whether it's cocked or not. Very old 1911s have been found that were cocked and locked for many years and still functioned just fine. Even the magazine springs still worked when loaded with 7 rounds for many years.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
Other than between mags, or a breakdown for some inspection and cleaning, my SA mil-spec always sits con-1 w/o any worry of mag or spring issue. I use Wilson's 47D mags.

As for lube, never has any lube I have used gone dry or run, and I am in a hot dry place. I use Wilson's gun lube and its a tad sticky, but just a smidge in the right areas is all the gun needs. So, perhaps it depends on what lube used and the environment its in. But then again, my SA mil-spec will run a-ok dry
I am a firm proponent of running all handguns "wet". I have been told by a tribologist (George Fennell of Weapon Shield) that even when dry his lube still has its good properties. Nonetheless, lube is cheap and I want to see it on the gun. Carryover from my blackpowder days.

Guy Noir, private eye.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
I am a firm proponent of running all handguns "wet". I have been told by a tribologist (George Fennell of Weapon Shield) that even when dry his lube still has its good properties. Nonetheless, lube is cheap and I want to see it on the gun. Carryover from my blackpowder days.
True. I was noting my 1911 runs ok dry, but some guns may fail to function when dry. Lubricated is good.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:21 AM

All of my carry pistols, 1911 or DA/SA are all carried C&L, they are also stored in the safe C&L and I've never had an issue. I don't decock and I certainly don't unload when not in use, always ready to go.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:37 AM

I keep my duty and off-duty 1911 and BHP in Condition-1 at all times (except for cleaning). There is no reason not to.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 AM

Smart money on the 1911 in C1 all the time until you press to the front sight.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDice View Post
I have several 1911s in my carry rotation . I do not unload and load them each time I put them into or out of the gun safe. They are in the safe loaded and cocked & locked. My thought is the more often you load and unload the weapon the more opportunity you have to have an accidental discharge. I am of course very careful when I do load or unload them and do it in a very safe manner. After I drop the magazine and I put the safety to the fire position, I grip the frame ( grip) below the grip safety and don’t depress it while I rack the slide. In that way even if I would somehow get my finger inside the trigger guard the gun could not discharge. Just my way of being extra safe. That being said why even load and unload it each time. When in the safe each loaded weapon has a 3x5 card in front of it saying Danger Loaded Weapon. . So in short mine are stored cocked and locked. By the way there is NEVER a loaded rifle or shotgun in my safe ... NEVER.
Like others have, I have 1911s that stay loaded in C1 all the time until shot or I need to unload them for some other reason. I also have revolvers that stay loaded and a Glock that stays loaded.

I do not require 3x5 cards to tell me that they're loaded because I still treat every gun as if it were loaded just like I was taught when I was a kid. My wife does the same and she is the only other person with access to the safe.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 06-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Some of the valve springs in an engine are fully compressed when the car is left sitting. And some are compressed to a lesser degree, yet are still really squeezed on there. Plus the suspension springs are under load as well.

Then after THIRTY YEARS of unused slumber, I come along and buy the car from the heirs (who ADMIT that they are not going to fix it)

I get the car running within a few days. But how about all those springs that have been under load for decades?

--------- No problems with them at all. All still within spec. Runs & rides perfectly.

The Sagging Suspension you see on some vehicles is not from compression over time. It's from overloading. Pushing the springs past their design limits. So the old-school idea of storing cars on blocks does nothing.

How about those recoil springs on guns? They are under load all the time too. Does anyone store their guns disassembled to save their recoil spring?

Nope! Because you don't have to.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:58 AM

My 1911s are always in condition 1, my bedside has been that way since 04 when I bought it for that purpose. Other than the occasional trip out back for a function checkup and clean it stays condition 1.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2019, 10:38 AM

Post #21 - (follow-on) springs are still metal, and they have yield just like any other metal. Some springs are thick wire so they'll bind before they can yield in compression, but they can all certainly be pulled apart past yield and ruin them. Long thin wire springs with low coils per inch can be compressed past yield and ruin them, but these are rare in application.

If the gun can safely do con-1, then con-1 it should be.

You know how many cowboys of the day carried cowboy single actions with hammer on a round? They crazy con-0-of-the-day.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 06-09-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVE EAGLE View Post
Do you unload it at the end of the day? ...
If you unload daily, do not rechamber the same round repeatedly as this will cause bullet setback. Tom Givens has at least one documented case where a police officer's round failed to fire and the working theory was the primer was damaged over repeated rechamberings when the officer got home nightly.

My personal rule is carry ammo only gets chambered once. If I unload a round it goes into the training supply.

Just another reason not to unload more than necessary.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:59 PM

It may have happened at some point, but I can't remember decocking a 1911 for any reason other than cleaning.

As for the amount of oil debate, when it comes to 1911s, I have a theory; if it will run when it's dry, it'll only run better when it's oiled like there's no tomorrow.

Psalm 144:1