Problem with Winchester white box 9mm range ammo running on nighthawk custom 1911 !!! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-03-2019, 07:32 PM

Problem with Winchester white box 9mm range ammo running on nighthawk custom 1911 !!!

I am no expert on 1911 .. i have used em in the past and buy them in bulk ... no problems with my Wilson’s but yesterday took my brand new never fired safe queen nighthawk t4 to the range planned to run at least 500 rounds but got tired after running 200 rounds with multiple jams failure to extract from the pipe ...called nighthawk today explained the problem . The 1st thing they asked surprisingly are u running Winchester white box 9mm and not to run those ... apparently they mention that’s just about the only ammo they are aware of that does not work well with nighthawk customs .
Well didn’t had anything else to ask until i run other brands Thru this pistol to draw my conclusion if something is wrong with this brand new pistol ...
Not sure if you guys have similar experience ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2019, 07:38 PM

If I was out of ammo and really wanted to go shooting and white box was the only ammo on the shelf, I would leave it on the shelf. It not your gun. Worst ammo in my experience.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:51 PM

"Promo" ammo is historically inconsistent in powder charge, crimp, COL and whatever else can go wrong when Q/C is inconsistent.

Under pressure loads will have difficulty acting on the slide to extract. Under pressure loads can also be really dirty with promo ammo and can also cause difficult extraction.

I don't shoot the stuff.

Reloading has its advantages!

Smiles,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 08:43 PM

"if your gun will cycle wwb then it will cycle anything" words of wisdom but I have to admit that some guns gobble it up with zero issues.

Its like running 87 octane in your ferrari.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:01 PM

Winchester White Box is bottom of the barrel ammo. The only thing worse might be Federal Champion.

Grab yourself some American Eagle 124 gr or Blazer Brass 124 gr and head back to the range.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:26 PM

As much as I like my NHCs there is a reason I carry and compete with Wilson guns. They simply work and do not care at all what ammo you put in them or if they are dirty. I was told face to face with a NHC smith that their guns are really not intended nor built to go more than 200-300 rounds without a lube and are more sensitive overall.

However they ARE tighter and "nicer" guns than Wilson 1911s so it's a trade off. I prefer reliability so I prefer Wilson even though they are not as "pretty" of a gun. For my WCs anything, and I mean truly anything (including stuff my Glocks and HKs dislike) will run in them.

Steel case Russian stuff is great practice ammo, if the gun can't run it there is a problem with the gun.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 06-03-2019, 09:33 PM

I hear folks whine all the time about WWB. I've run it through a bushel (literally) of 1911's with no problems whatsoever.

FTE points more to the gun than towards the ammo.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:38 AM

There is only one thing worse (American) than WWB. Go and grab the “Mega Pack” of UMC. It stands for Unparalleled Mountain of Crap! Kinda like Cracker Jack, you never know what you’ll find inside. Always loose powder floating around and if you’re lucky, you’ll find a loose projectile or two. Don’t ask the Nighthawk folks if it’s OK to run it either, they will want their gun back.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:45 PM

I just got back from shooting 200 rounds of 9mm WWB. Zero failures in four guns. A Kahr CW9, a Springfield Range Officer, a CZ 75B, and an STI 2011. Sure it's dirty, but not nearly as dirty as reloads with Unique. My feeling is that if a gun won't run any SAAMI spec ammo, the gun needs fixed.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 06-04-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
There is only one thing worse (American) than WWB. Go and grab the “Mega Pack” of UMC. It stands for Unparalleled Mountain of Crap! Kinda like Cracker Jack, you never know what you’ll find inside. Always loose powder floating around and if you’re lucky, you’ll find a loose projectile or two. Don’t ask the Nighthawk folks if it’s OK to run it either, they will want their gun back.
========
UMC
It's great for teaching firearms classes...."how to clear malfunctions"
Old 06-04-2019, 05:53 PM

I got the same problem with WWB 9mm in my new Valor. It regularly would not extract, leaving the case in the chamber. Remington and Blazer worked fine.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2019, 10:18 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
My handloaded practice ammo (.45 ACP) is better than most of the factory ammo, even the premium LEO stuff. My good stuff is well beyond even the premium. Don't even load much of it anymore cuz I've got many, many boxes of it sitting on the shelf.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-05-2019, 12:06 AM

Oh no, I got a case of that UMC in .45... haven't shot any yet. Now I'm scared.
I thought I was getting a bargain, since it came with 503 rounds! Yay me!

That said I seem to do OK with WWB, so maybe I'll survive it!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alland View Post
I just got back from shooting 200 rounds of 9mm WWB. Zero failures in four guns. A Kahr CW9, a Springfield Range Officer, a CZ 75B, and an STI 2011. Sure it's dirty, but not nearly as dirty as reloads with Unique. My feeling is that if a gun won't run any SAAMI spec ammo, the gun needs fixed.
It’s more about the consistency than anything. We all know that you cannot say that all premium hollow point .45 will run through all 1911’s. That does not warrant that the gun “needs fixed”. Some Wilson’s, Nighthawks, Chen’s, Wesson’s and the rest will occasionally choke on a particular type of hollow point, even at SAAMI spec. I too have seen it many, many times where various “otherwise reliable” weapons hiccup on random boxes of 9mm WWB. I can pretty much assure you that there is nothing wrong with the Ops weapon, but perhaps not broken in yet. What I can assure of, is that the ammo is cheap junk. Suitable for the occasional weekend paint can shooter that won’t mind the limp wristed jambs and really doesn’t care why it is happening.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:49 PM

It may be that something is wrong with the lot of ammo you are using. You could see if it works properly through another forearm.

I have used WWB in many firearms. From low priced firearms to much more expensive ones. And have never had one issue with it.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:52 AM

I’m sure that there are those folks that have not run into “malfunctioning” WWB, it all depends on how much of it you shoot. The odds will catch up to you. One thing everyone has in common is the awful accuracy. With that said, I am also sure that there is that one occasional weapon that does OK, but you will never dance around the inconsistency in manufacturing.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:36 AM

Using several different pistols and calibers with WWB, I haven't had any problems with it functioning. As I use my remaining supply, it's being replaced with a better choice.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:07 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I hear folks whine all the time about WWB. I've run it through a bushel (literally) of 1911's with no problems whatsoever.

FTE points more to the gun than towards the ammo.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I know of quite a few 1911s from low end to custom built that all feed everything, EXCEPT WWB. When the ammo fails at all levels of quality of the guns, it isn't the guns that are wrong. But WWB is not the only pile of steaming crap that tries to pass for ammunition. Remington, Aguila, Federal, and countless no-name brands all have their own versions of WWB that are just as bad if not worse.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-06-2019, 03:29 PM

I recently went shooting in Texas with family, (Thanks Shawn). I shot a couple of boxes of WWB NATO and had no trouble with it. Another family member was shooting WWB 115 grain and had failure to eject/stove-pipe several times. After I watched for a minute, I coached her on a firm grip I added a drop of oil to the rails & she shot flawlessly for the remainder of the day.
Paul
Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 PM

I've competed in USPSA and IDPA matches since 2013 and used a LOT of the most cheapest 9mm I could find including WWB and even their steel cased 9mm thru a M&P 9mm, M&P shield 9mm, Beretta 92 and a kahr K9. I would estimate i ran at least 10-18k rounds. I never had any issues with winchester white box to the point where it could be narrowed down specific to the brand ammo.

The OP admitted to shooting a brand new never been fired 1911 style pistol and ran into issues which to me right off the bat without looking at the pistol tells me that it just needs a good break in period.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:15 AM

No problems with WWB here other than the junk the ball ammo leaves behind is tenacious when it comes to cleaning.
PMC ball is way cleaner. So are WWB JHPs
Old 06-07-2019, 06:44 AM

I like the earlier reference to “Steaming Crap”, that was funny and accurate. What is NOT accurate is WWB. Lots of claims here about not having trouble with it, but the references are simply that it went bang. Sure you can hit garbage can size steel plates with it, but it pales in comparison to many other more accurate choices.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:12 AM

Constantly hitting a 12" gong at 20 yards one handed with no malfunctions is the only WWB reference I can provide. For inexpensive range ball ammo, what else is there to say?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:57 PM

I have never had any problems with WWB in .45 ACP. That is with about 40 or years or so of having shot it. However, I don't recall ever shooting WWB in 9mm.

I now have a new Colt Competition in 9MM on the way. Since Wal-Mart will have it at the cheapest price, I am going to have to try at least one box. However, I do consider your post as a warning. I won't fool with the WWB after one box even if I have just one jam with it.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:58 PM

I shoot WWB 9mm, 38 Spl, .45 ACP, .308/7.62, and .223. Never a problem. Except one blown primer in .223. The rest of the box was okay. The primer actually jammed up my AR trigger.