1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-18-2020, 04:06 AM

STI Lawman 5.0

Hello
Im looking at an STI Lawman 5.0 chambered in 9mm. Dont know the manufacturing year
I got 4 questions!

No.1 I cant find what type the rear and front sights it came with, what kind of cut the sights have. the only text i can find is has STI Ledge Style Rear but not how its mounted. I havent been to the seller yet and look at the gun.

No.2 How hard is it to fit a new rear target sight. I can imagine i have to macheen the rear to fit a Bo-Mar/NOVAC/LPA style rear sights.

No.3 The info i find about the trigger it the following ..."patented STI International trigger system"... whats so special about it or can i buy any other 1911 trigger parts and fit this gun or are they specific to this gun?

Does anyone have a 1911 like this and is willing to share pros and cons!

Best Regards //wbugs

Last edited by guy sajer; 05-18-2020 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:58 PM

Lets see if I can help some.
My Lawman 5.0 is a .45acp but I think they all came with the same adjustable rear made my Kensight.
https://stores.kensight.com/kensight...errated-blade/
The front sight was a serrated black blade dovetailed in which I replaced with a Tritium night sight from Dawson Precision.
As for the trigger I didn't think it was anything special. It's made out of carbon fiber and may have a titanium bow but it's been so long since I looked at it I can't remember. I replaced it with a 10-8 Performance flat trigger. All said it's a damn nice pistol. The fact that STI has stopped making 1911s for the time being makes me wish I'd picked up another.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:35 PM

I have the older roll marked "Lawman" in .45 ACP.

1) My pistol came with a STI-marked adjustable rear sight that fits a standard Novak cut. Front was a Trijicon marked Novak.

2) I would suggest not milling the slide and finding a sight that fits the current cut.

3) The usual STI trigger has a polymer shoe. Standard 1911 triggers will work, after being fit to the pistol.

Only con for mine is it came with a one-piece FLGR, making field stripping a bit more difficult than the pistols with the standard guide rod and plug.

The pictures show my NP3-finished Lawnman and hit it looked when it was stock.
Attached Thumbnails
STI_Lawman_NP3_2.jpg   STI Lawman 5.0.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
I have the older roll marked "Lawman" in .45 ACP.

1) My pistol came with a STI-marked adjustable rear sight that fits a standard Novak cut. Front was a Trijicon marked Novak.

2) I would suggest not milling the slide and finding a sight that fits the current cut.

3) The usual STI trigger has a polymer shoe. Standard 1911 triggers will work, after being fit to the pistol.

Only con for mine is it came with a one-piece FLGR, making field stripping a bit more difficult than the pistols with the standard guide rod and plug.

The pictures show my NP3-finished Lawnman and hit it looked when it was stock.
Thanks for sharing!

I have googled the current sight on it an it is a TAS one from STI but i cant find what the cut is!
Im having a mail conversation with (STI) or Staccato about it. I found out my gun is made late 2016. But i dont know wich TAS sight thats better then the original one. I would like abit narrower gap in the rear sight.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:50 PM

Dawson Precision at least used to make their sights for them. Give them a call, and they can probably tell you off hand what cut they are, and better yet, they could more than likely sell and/or install a new one for you. Look through their website. You should be impressed with what they can offer you.

Incidentally, that is a fine M1911, and should have been what STI focused on to go along with their competition guns. The Lawman has everything on it a shooter wants, and is made of the best quality steels. My STI Sentry in .45 (virtually the same pistol) outshot my Les Baer any day, and felt better to boot! Sold the Baer...kept the STI.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:38 PM

The TAS sight cut is a standard Novak dovetail at 65 degrees x .495" x .125".
Old 06-05-2020, 05:26 PM

sti

Hello,
I have 3 lawman guns,2 full size and 1 commander, and they all shoot better than I can.
I started shooting uspsa with a blued 5 inch factory gun and never had any problems with it. Some of the club members thought I had a trigger job done and were shocked it was factory.
All forged steel and competitive out of the box, what more needs said.
Tim
Old 06-10-2020, 03:52 PM

Thanks for all the inputs! I was at the range today and I was shooting some precision from 25m. I found that the front sight is not suited for target shooting. I set an email to STI and they said that the front sight is .300x60* dovetail. But I donít get what measure the .300 is? 60 degrees I get. So after you guys said that Dawson Precisionís made the sights I sent them an email to withe the same question.

Skickat frŚn min iPhone med Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2020, 05:23 PM

The 0.300" is the width of the dovetail at the base of the cut.
Attached Thumbnails
sight_chartlg.jpg  
Old 06-17-2020, 09:43 PM

STI often shipped their guns out with a pretty fat front sight. I always threw mine away and replaced with a .100" or sometimes .090" wide front from Dawson.