KC9 Upper Conversion - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-28-2019, 12:27 PM

KC9 Upper Conversion

I just got an email from Ed Brown about this conversion. It is very intriguing to me because an Ed Brown 9mm is not obtainable in CA except through a very unique and difficult process.

In the email they say they'll return all the .45 parts except the thumb safety. I wonder why? My thumb has spent many, many hours conditioning my safety lever and I don't want to lose it. Even if I only get the part back to keep in a drawer for posterity, I still want it back. Will they give it to me if I ask?

www.blackrivertraining.com
Old 03-28-2019, 01:10 PM

I understand about California, but why would anyone ever pay $1545 for a slide when you can get the whole gun for another buck fifty?
Can't you just buy a Dan Wesson or something else cheaper and have a whole new gun?
I have two of the KC9's, they aren't that special that I would spend $1600 bucks for a slide that falls through a regular 1911 holster like a Milt Sparks.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:53 PM

Clearly you don't understand about California. The only 9mm 1911 available is made by Rock Island. You cannot buy the KC9 here. Unless someone who lives in another state buys one and then moves to CA and decides to sell it through a private party transfer.

Besides that, if you think a Dan Wesson, or any other brand, is equivalent to an Ed Brown...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 09:02 AM

Guys thank for pointing out the new release for our California Customers. Here is the info from the release:
California Kobra Carry owners now have the opportunity to convert their pistol to an Ed Brown EVO KC9!

This package will create an EVO KC9 9mm on your California Kobra Carry. All original 45 ACP parts (except old thumb safety) are returned to you, separately labeled and packaged, so you effectively have a dual caliber, 45ACP/9mm firearm, that is 100% legal for California.

Package includes round trip shipping/insurance, complete fitting of an entire EVO KC9 upper (slide, barrel, HDXR orange front sight, etc.) to your existing frame. Replacement of the old style ambi safety with our new machined single side safety (machined ambi safety optional), a new recessed 9mm slide stop and recess cut on the frame, 9mm ejector, and (2) Ed Brown 9mm magazines. The finished product looks exactly like one of the Ed Brown EVO KC-9's. Package also includes recessing of your 45 ACP slide stop, and complete refinishing of frame to match new slide, as well as refinishing of 45 ACP slide. You may choose whether to refinish in stainless with Black Labyrinth grips, or refinish in black Gen4 with Cocobolo Labyrinth grips. For more info please go here: https://www.edbrown.com/product/kc9-conversion

Last edited by Ed Brown Products; 03-29-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:39 AM

If I understand this correctly, this is a very nice deal.

This is way better than doing something like a 38S/9mm combo using the same slide. Plus, if in California, it gets you a nice new caliber gun.

Having the 38s/9mm combo, I would heartily recommend getting an extra Ed Brown range bag to keep everything straight.

Somebody, at Brown, had a good idea.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:53 AM

Kobra Carry $3,000 + conversion $1500, you have $4500 invested into that pistol. Most guys once it is converted to a 9mm will leave it that way. I only see this for guys who live in Calif as it seems to be the only way they can get a quality 1911 in 9mm, but pricey.

When I lived there I was fortunate that they still had the SSE, now long gone. I used that for many pistols.

Everyone likes to say move, but that is not realistic for most. So here you can get it, just for a price.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:19 AM

Jim,

Sunk costs are sunk. I consider the $3,000 as gone. Once I buy a pistol, I don't tend to sell it unless it stinks as to reliability, and the Browns and Wilsons are not in that category.

This will not work well if you do not already have a KC in 45.

Personally, I am now switching between 9mm and 38 S on my dual pistol. So I am now using both.

So I guess I look at this differently.

Craig
Old 03-30-2019, 07:48 AM

Or for $2,000, buy a nice used Kobra Carry 45, send it in to Brown and get a KC9 conversion and for the price of a lot of semi-customs, you have a dual slide, dual caliber pistol, which is a pretty awesome way to go. And when it returns from Brown, it will probably be like new all the way around.

This is predicated on that I got how this works straight, which may not be right as I have never tried to do this myself and it is new offering from Brown.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:18 PM

Yeah, it's not cheap. Then again, we're in the Ed Brown forum. If you're looking for the cheapest gun, this ain't the right place. However, if you're looking for the best 1911, with the best warranty, you're in the right spot.

I may not like the price, but it opens an otherwise closed door.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:28 PM

Maybe you could get Brown to sell you one they bought through the Trade in Program for $1000 bucks and have it upgraded.