WC Recoil Spring Replacement - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-18-2019, 11:44 AM

WC Recoil Spring Replacement

I was thinking of picking up an extra chrome silicon recoil spring (or two) for my Dad's 5" CQB in 9mm, several questions.

Per the WC site it says for an 11lb spring

Recommended Use: Full-Size 5" 9mm or .38 Super shooting target ammunition with a power factor of 125,000 to 135,000 (Velocity x Bullet Weight = Power Factor).

Which for American Eagle 124 grain would be 1,120 x 124 = 138,880

Average Service Life: 20,000 Rounds

NOTE: This is the standard recoil spring we install in our full-size 9mm pistols.

For the #12.5 it reads

Recommended Use: Full-Size 5" 9mm or .38 Super shooting full charge target or self-defense ammunition or .45 ACP shooting target ammunition with a power factor of 130,000 to 150,000 (Velocity x Bullet Weight = Power Factor)

Average Service Life: 20,000 Rounds

NOTE: This is the standard recoil spring we install in our full-size .38 Super pistols.

My main question is.... if this is really the spring that comes in the gun it is really good for 20,000 rounds ?

And, should I buy a #11 and #12.5 (in case he starts shooting more self-defense loads? He currently is just a range shooter and doesn't carry but will soon keep the gun at the ready at home (which he currently doesn't).

Thanks,
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:11 PM

For the cost of a recoil spring, I don’t see myself ever going much beyond a couple two or three thousand rounds. Maybe they can and maybe they can’t go that long. For many people that would be a lifetime spring.

I try to keep a good supply of recoil springs and firing pin springs in stock of various weights and they are all Wilson’s. For the cost of a spring I just prefer to switch them out on a fairly regular basis.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-18-2019, 12:30 PM

OK, I get that. But 2-3,000 is like a million miles from 20,000. And if Wilson says good for 20,000 it has probably been tested to 40,000.

I guess having a #11 and #12.5 around couldn't hurt for $20
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 12:39 PM

For the power factor of the American Eagle 124 gr, you should use the #12.5 spring. I have a Full-Size 9mm and also shoot American Eagle 124 gr. I use the #12.5 spring and it works/cycles just fine.

You can go to WC's website, click "shop" in the upper center of screen, then click "Handgun replacement parts by model" on lower left side of screen. When searching for replacement parts for a full-size 9mm with a bushing barrel or bull barrel, it says to use a #12.5 recoil spring.

I did not find any full-size 9mm WC model which suggested the original (replacement) spring is was #11.

I'd suggest using the #12.5 as WC recommends this for a full-size 9mm as well as the power factor of the American Eagle 124 gr falls within the #12.5 specs.

Regarding if it will last 20,000 rounds? who knows. But I just went 10,000 rounds (10 years) on a full-size 45 acp and it still runs just fine. I just replaced the recoil spring (all springs) as a matter of preventative maintenance.

Last edited by tjpaxton; 02-18-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:45 PM

I’m just set in my ways on feeling that I need to change springs often and I do so with the flat wires too. That just comes from when the spring quality was not as good. Just looked at my records and I changed out my recoil spring on my 9mm CQB Commander @ 3,000. It will hit 6,000 fairly soon and I’ll change it again then. Changed the flat wire on my EDC X9 at about the same round count. For ten bucks it is an easy change for the peace of mind of knowing that the spring is in great shape and especially so for guns that are carried.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-19-2019, 05:18 AM

I use 12.5 in both my 5 inch Wilsons and they function perfectly with 115 and 124 ball ammo as well as my preferred carry load 124+P Speer Gold Dot
Old 02-19-2019, 05:38 AM

AZGUY, The spring longevity published by most vendor's (WC no exception) should be ignored because they are total BS. I am not sure why otherwise very excellent manufacturer's publish such BS but many of them do it.

What you can believe, all other things equal:
+A round wire (RW) chrome silicone spring will last a little longer than a RW non-chrome silicone.
+A flatwire spring will last a little longer than a RW chrome silicone.
+A shorter spring will not last as long as a longer spring (e.g., 4" vs 5" slide).
+The best way to test a springs longevity is in your gun(s) using a typical distribution of ammo types you usually use (ball-power factors, vs duty PF for example). Run it till the spring fails. That is your baseline. Back off 200 rounds or so, record that # as the amount of rounds to change the spring (before) failure. You could run it to failure every time if it is just a range gun, but I like to avoid that at the range (I want to optimize my range time for actual shooting).
+RC-springs are very cheap relative to the price of the gun and ammo, change them often and early, it will help increase the reliability margin of your gun over a longer period of time. Keeps them running in top form (all other things equal).

I change most my springs around 1200 (45s with at least half duty rounds). On my commander with RW springs about 600R (hot 38S ammo)... Not worth trying to squeeze rounds out of them, IMO....
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 02-19-2019 at 05:41 AM.