EDC X9- what am i missing? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-18-2018, 03:09 PM

EDC X9- what am i missing?

ok , I have tried ,twice, to really warm up and like the ew edcx9, but for the life of me ,couldn't.
on both occasions, it came with the small grip medium trigger ,and it just didn't fit right, and therefore, I couldn't hit the side of an abrams tank.
someone suggested the I get one with the large back strap and large trigger for better fitment.
is that the cure?
NHC -PRESIDENT
NHC- 2x BOB MARVEL-STD, & RECON.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

I ordered mine when they first came out with a small backstrap and medium trigger (all mine have medium triggers). When at a recent Leatham class, I discovered that the gun was not as solid in my hands as my others, so one of the folks at the class let me shoot theirs for half a day - that one had a large backstrap and long trigger. I had a much better time controlling the gun and shot better with it, but the trigger was a little long. I ordered a new backstrap for it (large) and kept the medium trigger, and mine performs much better for me now. The replacement backstrap was easy to replace, and required no "fitting" to drop in seamlessly.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-18-2018, 03:36 PM

thank you GP, that's the kind of advice and feed back i'm looking for.
NHC -PRESIDENT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 03:36 PM

I didn’t shoot my EDC X9 as well as my other Wilson’s when I first got it. I still think I can shoot my standard 1911’s just slightly better than the X9 and that probably would only show on a bullseye target but not on an IDPA target shooting quicker. Took me a good month of shooting it before I really warmed up to it and a good part of that was the wider trigger that is rounded on the edges. I also was comparing it to my other Wilson’s and I do not think that is quite fair as it is 1911ish but not a true 1911.

It is now a little more than a year later and I have over 5,000 rounds through it and it is one of my favorite guns. During the first week or two I could have easily given it up. It will be passed on to one of my girls and I’ll keep shooting and carrying it until then.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 12-18-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
ok , I have tried ,twice, to really warm up and like the ew edcx9, but for the life of me ,couldn't.
on both occasions, it came with the small grip medium trigger ,and it just didn't fit right, and therefore, I couldn't hit the side of an abrams tank.
someone suggested the I get one with the large back strap and large trigger for better fitment.
is that the cure?
One thing for sure is that the EDC X9 grip is different than a 1911 grip so it will feel funny, but still good to me, just different. If you are expecting a 1911 grip, you will never be satisfied. The small backstrap and medium trigger will serve 80% of us well. If your hands are larger than normal, try ordering and installing a large backstrap as Grandpa suggested, they are about $100 if I remember correctly. There are youtube videos on how to change them.

I didn't shoot as well with the EDC X9 at first either in comparison to my WC 1911's. I have figured out that my mind just couldn't psychologically focus as well with the gun having a U-Notch rear sight. I shoot tighter groups with a Square-Notch rear sight. But after a couple hundred practice rounds on the EDC X9 I have learned to shoot with the U-Notch very well.

Here is some info on trigger and backstrap sizing From WC:

For a generic fit, most shooters can use the small backstrap / medium trigger acceptably well.

Small hands: small backstrap / short trigger
Medium hands: small backstrap / medium trigger
Large hands: large backstrap / medium trigger
X-Large hands: large backstrap / long trigger
Old 12-18-2018, 04:46 PM

I have tried it twice. Just can't shoot it as well as my glocks, 1911s, etc... I have medium hands and like the way it feels in my hands. Don't much care for the trigger pull. I sent it back to Wilson and they worked on it. It is better but now where not near as good as my custom 1911s. I did get a nasty slide bite with it during a speed drill and just got too high of a grip. First gun that has ever happened on. Oh well, it looks good in the safe.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm01 View Post
I have tried it twice. Just can't shoot it as well as my glocks, 1911s, etc... I have medium hands and like the way it feels in my hands. Don't much care for the trigger pull. I sent it back to Wilson and they worked on it. It is better but now where not near as good as my custom 1911s. I did get a nasty slide bite with it during a speed drill and just got too high of a grip. First gun that has ever happened on. Oh well, it looks good in the safe.
As mentioned by apipeguy above, it takes a little time to adapt to it; it is similar in controls and manual of arms to a 1911, sans the grip safety, but it is not a 1911. It wasn't designed or intended to be a custom 1911, but for its intended purpose of being an all metal, 1911-ish, high capacity, soft recoiling EDC, it fits that purpose very well once the double-stack grip is acclimated to. It does take some trigger time, even for us old dyed-in-the-wool 1911 fans.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-18-2018, 05:01 PM

If each of us can be so fortunate as to find a pistol that's virtually perfect for us, there's something to be said for ceasing the search for something different.

This is pretty close to how I feel about the 1911.

Of course, I understand that there are other perfectly logical ways to look at this type of conundrum. And that's fine...it keeps things more interesting.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 12-18-2018, 05:05 PM

I have about 4000 through mine and it's a good gun but not anywhere near my fullsize 9mm CQB or even my carry comp compact except for reload speed. The X9 is faster than my CZs actually, overall the gun doesn't shoot as well for me at speed or slowfire as any of my metal CZs and only barely beats my G19.

That said I'm totally confident in it, it always works and is a great gun overal but just not quite what I thought it would be. I expected it to shoot only slightly worse than my CQBE 9mm.....
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 12-18-2018, 06:05 PM

I'll kind of echo what Apipeguy said.... it took me a little longer to warm up to it.
3-4 range trips.

I see a lot of them for sale with 150 rnds or less fired.
It seems a shame... I guess those guys are more concerned about getting their money back (or more) than they are giving the gun a chance.

It takes a little time for some of us.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 PM

I shot a few hundred rounds through mine this weekend. Comparing to thousands of rounds through several classes with tricked-out M&Ps, I found my accuracy and splits were as good or slightly better. I changed my backstrap to a large as suggested by the WC fit chart and will run it again in a week or so. I feel I will only improve with it as time goes on. I think given time the gun will win undecided people over. Just my two cents...
Old 12-18-2018, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I couldn't hit the side of an abrams tank.
How's your marksmanship with other guns?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:10 PM

^^^^

Well, at least with the EDC X9, the user will have extra rounds on tap. Surely one or two will hit the target at practical SD distances

I'm obviously not personally a huge enthusiast for handguns other than the 1911, but, at the same time, if someone places a premium on a double-stack mag capacity, top tier built quality, similar-to-1911 controls, lower recoil of the 9mm, etc., the merits of the EDC X9 are quite obvious. And for practical SD use, one does not necessarily need bullseye accuracy skills with the specific firearm in question. That need not be a critical requirement for a daily carry firearm.

Always a lot of pros and cons to think about.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-18-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:42 PM

Large backstrap, medium trigger for me. The gun fits like a glove and I shoot it as well as any of my 1911's.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:50 PM

Carrying mine right now.....
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 12-19-2018, 05:09 AM

^^^^
Same!
Colt Combat Commander 70 38 Super
Colt Custom Competition SS
Old 12-19-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
^^^^

Well, at least with the EDC X9, the user will have extra rounds on tap. Surely one or two will hit the target at practical SD distances

I'm obviously not personally a huge enthusiast for handguns other than the 191
1, but, at the same time, if someone places a premium on a double-stack mag capacity, top tier built quality, similar-to-1911 controls, lower recoil of the 9mm, etc., the merits of the EDC X9 are quite obvious. And for practical SD use, one does not necessarily need bullseye accuracy skills with the specific firearm in question. That need not be a critical requirement for a daily carry firearm.

Always a lot of pros and cons to think about.
There is one side benefit to the new 10R limit in NJ....The "more 9mm vs less but wider-more powerful 45" bullets is now something I don't have to be tormented about anymore ;-). And even the double stack (now at 10) vs SS argument is mostly moot. My second love affair with the 1911 restarted on Dec 10th when the grace period for the new law was over. I will be consummating ;-) this love today at the range by shooting my 5" TE in 45. Oh, did I mention anywhere that it has a new Custom-Comped-Hunter-Barrel chambered in 45 ;-).

Strictly a low-tech shooting day, and marksmanship is essential :-), the warm-up gun is 50R through a 7R 587-L-Comp 357M, followed by the 1911 -still, even after all these years, one of the best SD guns in the world, especially in their semi-custom/custom manifestations.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 12-19-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
How's your marksmanship with other guns?
very good with my 1911s and 2011s.
NHC -PRESIDENT
Old 12-19-2018, 07:58 AM

A have a gun from one semi-custom manufacturer (my favorite .45 bullseye gun) who reportedly says you need to shoot 500 to 1,000 rounds on some of the guns to get them functioning properly. Mine functioned fine out of the box.

I bring this up as I believe the EDC X9 for some people, including myself, requires 500 to 1,000 rounds for the user to learn the gun and appreciate it for what it really is and was designed for. An exceptional carry gun that functions 100% and is accurate.

Looking at used X9’s being sold on another forum with round counts listed, it seems to me that many are selling their guns before they learn the gun. I also understand that there are some people that just will not like the X9.

Ozy shoot your X9 a while and see how you and the gun learn each other and judge it on it’s own merits and not as a semi-custom hand fit 1911. When I did this I learned to really appreciate the X9.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
very good with my 1911s and 2011s.
Then the x9 doesn't fit you. It's odd though, the 2011 grip frame is much fatter than the X9.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:55 AM

We have had our X9 since July of '17. Shot it a bunch and couldn't quite get attached to it; didn't know why. Loaned it to a friend for 3 months to try and he loves the gun and will probably buy one.

The X9 was returned a couple of weeks ago and we've been giving it another chance: dry firing a lot, shooting about a mag a day and carrying it daily. Initially we thought the problem was our smallish hands but we've come to the conclusion that the X-Tac texturing is the thing we don't like. It does not provide anything like the adherence of checkering. All of our 1911s are checkered or stippled and we have an aggressively textured Glock 19 (that's hard to say) that's about the same size as the X9 and we feel we handle that pistol more efficiently than the X9 because it doesn't shift around in our hand. I'd love to try an X9 with a 25LPI checkered front and backstrap. However, I'm pretty sure the X9 is not checkered due to economics as there is a lot of surface area on the front and backstraps. I may paint on some airplane wing walk goo to see if that makes a difference. Like all the other X9s we've heard about, ours has been 100% reliable and is very accurate so no complaints there.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.

Last edited by markwell; 12-19-2018 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-19-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwell View Post
We have had our X9 since July of '17. Shot it a bunch and couldn't quite get attached to it; didn't know why. Loaned it to a friend for 3 months to try and he loves the gun and will probably buy one.

The X9 was returned a couple of weeks ago and we've been giving it another chance: dry firing a lot, shooting about a mag a day and carrying it daily. Initially we thought the problem was our smallish hands but we've come to the conclusion that the X-Tac texturing is the thing we don't like. It does not provide anything like the adherence of checkering. All of our 1911s are checkered or stippled and we have an aggressively textured Glock 19 (that's hard to say) that's about the same size as the X9 and we feel we handle that pistol more efficiently than the X9 because it doesn't shift around in our hand. I'd love to try an X9 with a 25LPI checkered front and backstrap. However, I'm pretty sure the X9 is not checkered due to economics as there is a lot of surface area on the front and backstraps. I may paint on some airplane wing walk goo to see if that makes a difference. Like all the other X9s we've heard about, ours has been 100% reliable and is very accurate so no complaints there.
Just goes to show that they are not quite right for everyone.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwell View Post

I have found if you have a grip shifting issue from the oval grip, try the larger backstrap. Worked for me.
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 12-19-2018, 09:46 AM

On one hand, a well-built handgun, and one having many pluses, deserves a fair trial by it's buyer. This only makes sense. And it is especially true if the handgun comes with multiple "fitting options" such as differing backstraps and triggers.

On the other hand, attempting to "make" a handgun work (for a given buyer) by making one little adjustment after another is, at some point, suggestive that the specific buyer might do better simply by choosing a different handgun that feels right and shoots well (for that specific person) without the need to make so many adjustments.

If someone is struggling with their EDC X9, or any other quality firearm, it is probably wise to keep both of these perspectives in mind. Don't abandon ship too soon, but also don't continue to struggle indefinitely with something that's not best for you.

Also keep the purpose of the gun in mind. If a gun is designed around one purpose, it should not necessarily be expected to excel in a different role. With concealed carry guns, there is always the "struggle" between maximum concealability/ease of carry and capacity ... and, rather obviously, neither of these objectives is really a focus on optimal shooting ergonomics... so it's not surprising that compromises will be "in the mix" for many users.

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-19-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:50 AM

A- My X9 came with the large backstrap and it was worse. Replaced it with the smaller one and a long trigger which is better.
B- We are not giving up on the X9 as we like the pistol generally; it's just that we don't shoot it as well as our other current carry guns (GI CCO, a Wilson ULC Compact Commander and a Colt WC CCO). But, it's kind of like getting a new horse. Having shot 1911s for quite some time, the X9 just has a distinctly different feel; it hasn't thrown us yet so we will persevere.
C-We just now judiciously dabbed some wing walk paint under the trigger guard and at the top of the backstrap to gain a bit of traction; We'll see how that works.

Thanks all for the input.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.