1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Feinstein / Cornyn Gun Control Bill

Quote:
Cornyn's bill would require federal agencies and states to design plans for ensuring information is accurately reported to the database, and it would allocate resources to those agencies to help them do so. It would also set up a system of incentives and penalties for agencies who comply or fail to comply.
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/03...nd-check-bill/

Last edited by cavelamb; 10-23-2018 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spell name right?
Old 10-23-2018, 05:54 PM

So we get a new law that says Federal, State and local agencies must comply with other laws. If they fail does the Chief, Directior or other titled leader get fired or held PERSONALY responsible ? Not likely.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:10 PM

Few of us would disagree with the premise that violent criminals shouldn't be allowed to walk into a gun store and walk out with a freely, openly purchased firearm.

But with government legislation, the devil is always in the details.

Senator Coryn has a fairly well regarded pro 2A background, including his NRA rating. So hopefully this particular piece of legislation might be better than what typically passes through Congress.

Obviously Feinstein is, well, Feinstein, one of the darkest, all-time Witches Club figures in regards to preserving the 2A

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Few of us would disagree with the premise that violent criminals shouldn't be allowed to walk into a gun store and walk out with a freely, openly purchased firearm.

Senator Coryn has a fairly well regarded pro 2A background, including his NRA rating. So hopefully this particular piece of legislation might be better than what typically passes through Congress.

Obviously Feinstein is, well, Feinstein, one of the darkest, all-time Witches Club figures in regards to preserving the 2A
Cornyn is like Count Duukoo - he has gone over to the Dark Side...next time up for reelection in the primaries, he needs to go with a more conservative (R) replacement.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 10-23-2018, 06:34 PM

My understanding is the bill would require government agencies to do what the laws on the books already require that they do. Remember the non-reporting by the Air Force. The bill will supply incentives but I didn't see anything about penalties. How about the government abiding by the law like the rest of us have to do?
Old 10-23-2018, 06:39 PM

I'm not for anything Feinstein has any input. Let her stick to phony sexual assault allegations.

Call me skeptical, but what are they going to do to the person/agency/FBI that makes the first mistake? Fire them? No. Lose their pensions? No. More hearings that go nowhere?
Probably, not even that.

Criminals and felons aren't supposed to have guns, got it. I don't believe for a second that somewhere in a new 50 page law, that someway, somehow, it will end up making it more involved for the law abiding person to purchase a firearm.

Bottom line, they should already be working on fixing their own efficiency problems and error rates. It has nothing to do with me or any other law abiding gun owner.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
I'm not for anything Feinstein has any input. Let her stick to phony sexual assault allegations.

Call me skeptical, but what are they going to do to the person/agency/FBI that makes the first mistake? Fire them? No. Lose their pensions? No. More hearings that go nowhere?
Probably, not even that.

Criminals and felons aren't supposed to have guns, got it. I don't believe for a second that somewhere in a new 50 page law, that someway, somehow, it will end up making it more involved for the law abiding person to purchase a firearm.

Bottom line, they should already be working on fixing their own efficiency problems and error rates. It has nothing to do with me or any other law abiding gun owner.
The communists (Feinstein, et al) do not want to make the system work, they want to showed failed laws to enact even more stringent ones so that EVERYONE is a criminal and has to fear "being caught". Turn everyone into a criminal, and you have a subservient population; this is nothing new, and it always amazes me how many folks fall into this trap by being promised "a better system of justice". In communism, there is no justice unless you are one of the privileged elite of the party; and of course only one party is allowed to exist....

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 10-23-2018, 07:03 PM

So..... what's the big deal here? Is what they are proposing a front to 2A rights? I didn't read that anywhere in that short article. Granted, like someone said, the devil's in the details.

But has anyone seen them though?

I agree, laws on the books in this regard should be enforced. Got it. Makes sense. What was the punishment for the guy on Texas not being reported properly and subsequently being able to purchase a gun and shoot up a church? Is there a punishment listed in the books for people who fail to properly report people? If there isn't, isn't this proposed change aimed at correcting that.

Again.... this is assuming there's nothing sneaky or nefarious hidden in there.

Or....

Are you guys saying anyone, criminal or menal defect included, should be allowed to own a firearm?
Old 10-23-2018, 07:04 PM

What is it in the proposed law that would make everyone a criminal?
Old 10-23-2018, 07:11 PM

“The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything, then enforce them selectively against your enemies.”

John Lescroart
Old 10-23-2018, 07:18 PM

Ok....Cool quote I guess. Doesn't answer anything though.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
The communists (Feinstein, et al) do not want to make the system work, they want to showed failed laws to enact even more stringent ones so that EVERYONE is a criminal and has to fear "being caught". Turn everyone into a criminal, and you have a subservient population; this is nothing new, and it always amazes me how many folks fall into this trap by being promised "a better system of justice". In communism, there is no justice unless you are one of the privileged elite of the party; and of course only one party is allowed to exist....
Hence, my point.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:31 PM

But it's all conjecture until we know what the bill actually says. On the surface it is a good idea. Who wouldn't want people held accountable for not reporting as they are supposed to be? Again, when someone actually can pist the thing for us to read, maybe then we actually have something to discuss. Haha
Old 10-23-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR1107 View Post
Ok....Cool quote I guess. Doesn't answer anything though.
the answer lies within, grasshopper...
Old 10-23-2018, 07:38 PM

Below is a quote from a Canadian gun control safety survey, in a recent thread here. Because we here in the US have 2A, (thank God and the Founders), our politicians must be more covert in their attempts to limit our rights. But, in essence the underlying purpose is the same.

"Any ban of handguns or assault weapons would primarily affect legal firearms owners, while the illicit market would be indirectly affected as there would be fewer available to potentially divert."

Here's the link

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/c...nt-crm-en.aspx

Last edited by Plantar5; 10-23-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:15 PM
Administrator

I don't care if it's a law abolishing NFA '34 and GCA '68 and allowing open carry everywhere. If it's got Feinstein's backing I don't trust it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
Cornyn is like Count Duukoo - he has gone over to the Dark Side...next time up for reelection in the primaries, he needs to go with a more conservative (R) replacement.
Yes yes to Obi-wan you listen
Old 10-23-2018, 08:47 PM

Extreme caution and skepticism is obviously warranted. Feinstein is a devious witch. No question. She is toxic.

At the same time, there are few people anywhere on the political/2A spectrum who would like to see violent criminals omitted from the NICS database, and thus able to freely buy firearms from any lawful seller, same as you and me. If there is such as thing as a likely point of agreement, this is it. Genuine agreement (not "compromise") is not something to be tossed in the waste bin.

Best to have a very thorough examination of the bill, every detail, by pro-2A individuals, including attorneys, before choosing which bandwagon to join in regards to this specific legislation. Be very careful, in every respect...Obviously do not trust Feinstein...that goes without saying.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 10-23-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:41 PM

If Feinstein is involved it can't be trusted. But trying to force the state and govenrment agencies to do their jobs and send in the data to the FBI for the NCIS system would be a good thing. Albeit it is sad that they have to write a law to make them comply with the existing laws though.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post

NRA rating means jack and sh*t.
Good old Harry Reid had a good rating for most of his career. Lot's of good rated RINO's in Fl screwed Florida over.

Anything that Fineswine signs onto is probably not good for gun owners.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:20 AM

The Fine witch seeming to be in favor of something pro 2a right before elections is nothing more than a ploy for votes.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:03 AM

The prevailing opinion of our Forum camp seems to be that the legislation should be rejected out-of-hand, regardless of what is in it.

I have great respect for the collective wisdom of our Forum members, so maybe this is the case here, despite my initial thoughts that the legislation should be critically examined. I do not pretend to always be correct, and more often than not, the majority opinion proves to be the most wise.

I confess that I would still have an interest, a curiosity, in any specifics of the legislation that are not good for 2A rights and/or that contain trap doors. But again, respects for the majority opinion … you guys might well be correct.

___

I also note that there is no difference of opinion on Feinstein. That one is pretty well a consensus opinion.

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 10-24-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:16 AM

I find it very hard to believe that criminals walk into a gun store to buy a gun. That's completely absurd. And as far as nutjobs go most of them seem to be able to pass a background with no trouble. NONE of the laws are aimed at criminals - just everybody else.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:19 AM

dsk is dead right. If the tyrant Feinstein is in favor of it, it is an affront to the Constitution...period.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
I find it very hard to believe that criminals walk into a gun store to buy a gun. That's completely absurd. And as far as nutjobs go most of them seem to be able to pass a background with no trouble. NONE of the laws are aimed at criminals - just everybody else.

This bears repeating - several times...