3.5" RIA 1911 for IDPA? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-07-2018, 09:44 AM

3.5" RIA 1911 for IDPA?

I saw one locally for $450, and I've been thinking about picking one up to let my 13 year old son do some fun IDPA stuff with it. Is 3.5" too short? I don't remember all of the rules, but does this only fit in the BUG class? I was thinking about letting him use my CZ p01 and possibly my Sig Army Combat in .45. Maybe, I'm just trying to find an excuse to buy another pew.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:22 AM

Probably would fit the CCP Box.
A husky 13 year old can handle a full size gun, give him one to give him the advantages of sight radius and less recoil; maybe the CZ. YOU shoot the dwarf.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:05 PM

that's a small gun and big bullet for a 13 year old.

if he's a new shooter, get a 22 and a case of ammo. once he's shot all that up, he's going to be much better. then i'd think about getting a full size 9mm (maybe a 1911 pattern).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2018, 04:15 AM

3.5" RIA for IDPA

I purchased a 3.5" RIA Ultra Tac 9mm several years ago. To make this gun IDPA compliant for the Compact Carry Division, I had to modify the right ambi thumb safety lever..... I had to make it thinner so the width of the gun was legal...

My gun was surprisingly very accurate with my 9mm loads, and I also use it on occasion for concealed carry.....
Old 12-27-2018, 04:21 AM

3.5" Rock Island Armory 9mm gun.....

I no longer own my compact 3.5" RIA 9mm pistol.....

My 21 year old step daughter is living in a two bedroom apartment with another female room mate in Tallahassee, FL, and both go to Florida State University. While she has been visiting over the holidays, I asked her what type of self defense tools she has in her apartment.....her reply was, "I guess a kitchen butcher knife....?"

I taught her brother, my 20 year old step son, how to shoot a pistol a little over a year ago.....and he is now an incredible shooter......a natural!!!

During Christmas Eve dinner, I asked my wife, and two adult step children if they would like to go shooting on Christmas Day, and everyone liked the idea!!! I supplied the ammo.....which was mostly 9mm mid range loads.

We took my club cab 4-door pick up with all our shooting gear to the range, and as I drove, I discussed the rules of gun safety for my step daughter, since she had only fired a pistol once. We arrived at the outdoor gun range about noon on Christmas day. I set up multiple IDPA cardboard targets at roughly 8 yards, and used two 6 ft. portable shooting tables on wheels to create a shooting bench firing line. My step daughter listened intently when I discussed, then demonstrated the proper technique for sight alignment, trigger press, and area aiming...….she shot extremely well for a novice pistol shooter...….over the time spent at the range, she shot about 100 rounds of 9mm in various pistols.....she loved shooting the 3.5" Rock Island officers size 1911...…. 85% of her shots were in the COM circle of the target, and the remainder were either low, or low left, but still pretty good hits on the man sized cardboard target.... I mentioned that if she practiced and kept improving, to start shooting at longer distances, perhaps 10 yards and as she improves, move to 15 yard distances.

I then surprised her and gave her my 3.5" RIA Tac Ultra 9mm, along with three magazines, and a zippered gun rug as a Christmas gift! I also gave her the original box, with the owners manual and the rules of gun safety. She enjoyed the pistol shooting session, and was extremely happy to have a means to protect herself when driving in her car, and when at home in her apartment.

I mentioned she can not have a gun on a school campus, even with a concealed carry permit, which she plans to get. I also loaded two mags with self defense ammo, and told her the gun with the SD ammo will have a little more recoil but is still easily controlled. Her mother approved of her having a means to protect herself, and so did her father..... She has one semester left at FSU, and already has a job offer in N. Carolina after graduation, and will most likely move and be living alone..... I mentioned we will need to check out the gun laws for NC, but in the mean time, she should apply and get her Concealed Weapon Permit for the state of Florida. My small officers size RIA pistol has a custom full circle magwell. I asked her if she wanted to leave the magwell on, and she immediately said yes, because the gun fits her hand perfectly......two of the mags hold ten rounds of 9mm, and sit just slightly below the bottom of the modified Dawson Ice magwell.....she will keep the RIA with 10+1 rounds cocked and locked in the zippered gun rug..... We are planning to have one more range shooting session before she leaves on Sunday......she said she is looking forward to it!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Modified Dawson Ice magwell and housing.jpg  

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 12-27-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:31 AM

I would start him with a full size gun in 9mm, not a compact 45 with a short sight radius and heavy recoil. That would be a sure fire way to get him to hate the sport right from the start.
The CZ is a good choice. If his hands are on the smaller size they make thin grips and a short reach trigger kit.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:26 AM

Gun for a 13 year old new shooter.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
I would start him with a full size gun in 9mm, not a compact 45 with a short sight radius and heavy recoil. That would be a sure fire way to get him to hate the sport right from the start.
The CZ is a good choice. If his hands are on the smaller size they make thin grips and a short reach trigger kit.
I agree with Waktasz. Using a compact .45acp pistol can be a handful, unless lighter 185 grain bullets with reduced power loads are used.

If the father does not reload, a full size 9mm would be more cost effective for ammo when buying at retail outlets or on-line......

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 12-28-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 AM

The .45 ACP can be a gentle plinker in ESP when 200 gr bullets are loaded to about 700-730 fps....; very pleasant to shoot even for new shooters...especially from full size pistols (I used 12 lb recoil springs in my 5" Para P14)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:24 AM

I'd look for a used DW PM-9 and put thin grips on it.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:27 AM

As mentioned by others, a 3.5” gun in .45 might be a little much depending on his experience, skill level and build. But at that price it might be worth it just to add to the safe as a fun option, especially as he gets older
Old 06-12-2019, 03:48 PM

Well it would sure teach him so gun handling skills and 90% or more of IDPA shots don't really require any degree of gun accuracy. That aside and realizing that there is gun categories for those and there is no powder factor advantage he'd probably place pretty low overall if you think that would discourage him. With the power factor thing and mag capacity in IDPA I think that's why double stacks in the girly caliber pretty much dominate.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:36 AM

Difficult shots on threat targets in IDPA matches....

The difficulty of shots on any IDPA stage is based on the way the stage is designed.....longer range targets, out to 25 yards or further, threat targets covered with black paint to simulate hard cover that only exposes a portion of the COM or even a head shot, threat targets half exposed with "Non threat" hostage targets and even using 6" steel plates at longer distance adds to the difficulty of the shots fired...

You never know when you may be faced with an extremely difficult stage design, so it is best to have an accurate gun with a good sight radius.....

A gun with a short 3.5" barrel and shorter sight radius is a disadvantage for a new shooter on a tough stage....
Old 06-13-2019, 09:33 AM

OP hasn't been on since the OP. Maybe we didn't tell him what he wanted to hear.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:42 AM

Girly caliber....???

Quote:
With the power factor thing and mag capacity in IDPA I think that's why double stacks in the girly caliber pretty much dominate.
IDPA is a game.....and those that want to rise to the top play the game with the optimal equipment.....

I wonder why the US military chose the 9mm as their new handgun caliber of choice.....since you think it is a "girly caliber?"

I once shot an IDPA match where the top three High Overall shooters were within one second for the total time for all combined stages.....the Master shooter that took second was about .3 of a second slower than my results. A double stack gun is more often than not, faster to reload.....since there are limits on mag capacity, there s no need for a double stack gun, but it does have advantages......