what breed qualifies as a good guard dog ? - Page 7 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-29-2020, 08:44 PM

Lisl von Schlaf, West German & Czech line. Brothers working for Kansas Highway Patrol and Canadian Border Guard

Very well trained and my constant companion.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
Is the Carolina Dog dominant over the new Rottweiler?

Following my example of retiring last year our 9 year old Rott has decided he is retired. We will be getting a new dog soon. We've had a string of Rotties but that doesn't guarantee the breed of our next dog.
She is when necessary, but also pretty tolerant.... she stays outside (by choice) probably 90% of the time. The Rot and the hound mongrel spend more time inside, the latter only spends a couple hours a day outside and the Rot divides his time, makes some rounds outside, comes back in. The dog's can come and go from the house as they please.
The CD owns the yard, and controls the interactions with the otbers there.

I didn't realize how much I'd missed the Rotts....I'm curious as to how he'll finish out, he's almost 29". Much bigget than I was expecting, almost mastiff /molosser like in characteristics...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 03-01-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_KC9 View Post
So many watered down and poorly bred breeds that were once great. Dobes, back in the Magnum PI and prior days were great. Alot harder to find legit DObes without congenital health issues. just google dobes health issues. Within the Dobe, there are offsets - american european, which are the same but different.
Even more so Within the "German Shepherd", many variations and most what is bred in America is not the same dog it was 30 years ago.
Let's see the variations consist of:
Czech
West german working lines
West german show lines
American show lines
East German/DDR
"American backyard" lines

I have had 5 GSD's and all were working lines (mix between WG/DDR/CZECH), and 2 I imported from the Czech Republic.

Anyway, a well-bred, real GSD is hard to beat IMO. I could give a rat's ass about bite force. If the bite force wasnt there, they wouldnt have been used by the military and police for the last 70+ years.....
You've described, in the dogs you've had, the exact cause of genetic health issues and shorter longevity in purebreed dogs: LINES.... there's limited foundation stock, and individual breeders have access to even smaller pools of sample. In an effort to propagate desirable traits observed, in and line breeding is commonplace. The more the genetic pool is limited, the greater probability, over generations, of health issues developing.
Of note, kennel and breed clubs are a relaxing new concept, less than 150 years old in most cases, as is the idea of "breed standards". Current dogs are far remote from their origins....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2020, 07:44 AM

In post 109 I included a picture of our pup when he was just 12 weeks old. He has grown into a very loving, obedient, and loyal companion, but he's not much of a guard dog after all. He will let you know if someones there before you know it, but if push came to shove he would probably roll over for a belly rub. He is handsome though. And loves going for a ride in my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7460.jpg  
Old 03-01-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelpiemonk View Post
I stand by that comment. Frankly, it wasn't strong enough. I will restate it:

Almost no family dog not trained in protection will be equipped mentally and physically to take on, much less take down, a threat. Most family dogs lack any sort of useful training, and most people have no clue how to train a dog.

---

Everybody thinks their dog loves them, their dog will protect them and their children. This is because the see their dogs as hairy people, not as what they are. Your experience, unless you have either been involved in robbing enough houses to test dogs, have worked with dogs on these issues or have taken a lot of police reports about hero dogs saving families, is really not the point. They are just anecdotes, either yours or ones you inherited from others.
After having an Akita share our life with my wife and kids for 11 years I would beg to differ on this point.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:57 AM

Has your Akita attacked an intruder into your home? Or will he/she attack on command?
Old 03-09-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Has your Akita attacked an intruder into your home? Or will he/she attack on command?
No and no. But I would ask, have you ever been around an Akita or owned one?
Old 03-09-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg1 View Post
The best guard dog is a goose.
Guinea fowl are pretty good too!
Old 03-21-2020, 07:23 PM

I have a maltese. Hes 5lbs. He sure isn't guarding anything. However, this dog could probably hear a pin drop about 20 feet from the front or back door. And he sure has hell intends to let me know about it. He's like a little siren. No matter how quiet you think you can be, if you're even tip toeing through my front yard hes going to let me know about it well in advance. Downside is this causes many false alarms lol.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:30 PM

Gotta go with a stable GSD, they are the perfect.....family, protection, companion......but dam do they get hair everywhere.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulltaco View Post
No and no. But I would ask, have you ever been around an Akita or owned one?
I've never met one in person. I've never known anyone that owned an Akita.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring1911 View Post
Gotta go with a stable GSD, they are the perfect.....family, protection, companion......but dam do they get hair everywhere.
You should see Lisl during a shed. Long-hair GSD's are the worst. It's horrific really. It doesn't seem like it is ever going to stop.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:48 PM

My bluetick is the most loyal and protective dog I've ever seen. He's tenacious on a coon or black bear and no doubt he would downright devour an intruder in the middle of the night. He's strong, not like some showy doberman. I mean he can jump straight into the bed of a full size truck, over the side without touching anything. Attachment 577914Attachment 577914Attachment 577914
Old 03-26-2020, 07:09 PM

I also have a terrier mix, sweet little man but vigilant about the comings and goings of others. Lot of heart and smart. If someone is coming he is in a window letting us know and I can tell by his demeanor/bark whether it is an unfamiliar person. He also has a very distinctive cat bark that I am slowly getting him to lose LOL!! It is becoming a cat growl and baleful look at his human to see if I am paying attention lol.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Lisl von Schlaf, West German & Czech line. Brothers working for Kansas Highway Patrol and Canadian Border Guard

Very well trained and my constant companion.

Great looking wolf - thank you both for your service.

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 03-29-2020, 07:28 PM

That is one beautiful animal.

--Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-30-2020, 11:10 AM

Rhodesian Ridgeback. Don't mess with his people.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer1 View Post
Rhodesian Ridgeback. Don't mess with his people.
120 pounds of intelligence, speed, agility and muscle

Last edited by bulldozer1; 04-02-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:11 AM

Growing up we lived outside the city limits and we had various critters for food - like rabbits, ducks, geese, and chickens. Our neighbor had some also. I gotta say that for an outside guard/alarm you cannot beat those darn geese. I don't care what time of day or night if someone got within their sight that racket they made would scare anybody off. Had many nights of sleep interrupted by those buggers.

Nowadays the law would be there within seconds if we had those animals in the same location being it has become so developed in the 40+ years since I lived there.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:54 PM

Last Easter Sunday, my wife had a 6 week old Akita puppy pick us for her family/pack! We'll keep you posted with pics and her progress!