Springfield Armory 1911 in 9mm - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 02:41 PM

Springfield Armory 1911 in 9mm

I'm considering getting a 1911 chambered in 9mm. I like the Springfield Range Officer Elite in 45. Anyone here use a 1911 in 9mm?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:42 PM

I have the Range O Operator in 9mm and really like it.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:02 PM

I have a Springfield stainless 9mm Loaded Target but they are no longer offered. It has been a great shooter and very reliable after a break in of about 500 rounds. It was very tight from Springfield when I got it new. I have had it for about 8yrs. I think. It has at least 5k. rounds through it now and is still very tight. I would say it's accuracy is comparable to my DW Silverback. Not sure about the new RO but I'm very happy with my Loaded Target. Fit and finish are very excellent. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 05:00 PM

I have a G34 that I've put about 4k rounds through shooting bullseye last year. It's very dependable but the clunky trigger is aggravating. I've tried polishing, glock drop in trigger but nothing has a good feel. Glock triggers for carry are ok but for target shooting pretty rough. I hate to put any more money into the gun.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:02 PM

I had the Range Officer in stainless for about a year but could never get any accuracy out of it. Several smiths looked at and told me the barrel was poor quality and with a decent barrel fitted the accuracy would be there. I chose not to put another $250 on top of what I paid and moved it on. Sad because I liked it but the CZ I replaced it with shoots 10 times better...
Old 01-16-2018, 05:09 PM

Which model CZ did you choose?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:46 PM

I "had" a Springfield loaded chambered in 9mm. Traded it off. Big regrets! These are very affordable shooters, with next to no recoil. Awesome blasters! Pick up the 5" flavor of your choice. No regrets!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Have a 9mm RO, love it! Had some light strikes when new, ditched the ILS and no problems since. Liked it so much that after about 4K rounds I had a 38 super barrel that I can switch back and forth and not have to re-zero. I still shoot more 9 than 38 super, but both are very accurate. Super smooth and it just keeps getting better!
Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 AM

9mm RO Elite Operator here. Took a month of cycling the slide while sitting on the couch in the evening..but it feels like butter now.

Accurate, very low recoil...love it.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:57 AM

Range Officer Champion 9mm.
3000+ rounds since July.
Very pleased.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 AM

I prefer the features of the Combat Operator. Only thing it needs is a factory magwell and trigger guard undercut.
Mine hasn't had any issues, though I don't have a lot of rounds through it yet.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:23 AM

If you’re shooting bullseye a 1911 9mm will be a treat. Get a RO Target with the adjustable sights and start shooting. You’ll eventually want a trigger job to get a better trigger pull, which is one of the great benefits of the 1911. As you improve you can put better trigger parts in the gun and even have a new barrel installed for more accuracy. That’s one of the great things about a RO. It’s affordable and will work well in stock form and you can upgrade it incrementally to make it an even better shooter.
Good luck,
Jeff
Old 01-17-2018, 07:35 AM

I have a R.O. I took a look at the "Elite", I can't see paying a few hundred more for what little upgrades they added.

Get yourself a Range Officer, you'll be Happy.

When I got mine, I stripped it down, got rid of the ILS, changed the sights, added a magwell, new grips and a flat trigger. (the flat trigger is for my messed up trigger finger)

I used Mothers Polish on the rails and worked it back and forth until it would glide off by itself. Adjusted the sear spring a little and shazam, I have a R.O. with a 4# trigger, I call my own.

Last edited by Bosbar; 01-17-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt 7291 View Post
I have a G34 that I've put about 4k rounds through shooting bullseye last year. It's very dependable but the clunky trigger is aggravating. I've tried polishing, glock drop in trigger but nothing has a good feel. Glock triggers for carry are ok but for target shooting pretty rough. I hate to put any more money into the gun.
Have you tried the DK Customs trigger? They make one that is 2.5# You would send them your gun. Their other triggers that are drop in are about 3.5#
Old 01-17-2018, 08:13 AM

I bought a ss9mm RO target that I bought about 1 year ago, pretty much has been a pos for that time, it’s been back to Springfield twice for fte’s and very poor accuracy, second trip to the custom shop which fixed the accuracy but created other issues. I just put in a w-combat bullet proof extractor and FPS which corrected issues with the poor Springfield replaced extractor, thought I finally had a good gun but a trip to the range yesterday provided repeated ftf’s and failure to go into battery. Once done at the range I took it to a local gun shop to trade it in on something else but they only would give almost nothing for it and being that i’m Into this gun for almost $1400 I had to leave. I’m going to clean it today and take yet another look at it for issues, I have a few idea’s of what may be causing the issues but if nothing jumps out it’ll go back to Springfield yet again.

Positives are that the trigger is a great, clean breaking 3.8lbs and the accuracy is phenomenal after the custom shop installed the new barrel, bushing, link and stop pin with a huge, ragged parting line on it, all for $400, thankyou!

My opinion although somewhat jaded but by far not the only experience like this from Springfield is to take your hard earned money and go buy something that will work out of the box like a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 or a Sig Sauer 9mm match elite, a little more money but much better piece’s in my opinion. Search the Springfield thread here and you’ll see numerous similar experiences. Some very good one’s as well but for me i’d buy something that will work from the start and this being my 3rd Springfield in a row to have issues i’d look elsewhere.

Last edited by passx; 01-17-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 AM

I have more than a dozen Springfield guns. Everyone has been flawless out of the box. My favorite has been the RO in 9mm. Just plain fun to shoot.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbar View Post
I have a R.O. I took a look at the "Elite", I can't see paying a few hundred more for what little upgrades they added.
Range Officer Compact $761
Compact Elite $874
The Black T finish alone would cost you $250. Plus you get 4 mags instead of 2 and a range bag.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:03 AM

I definitely need to add a 9mm RO to my collection soon. I have an RO in .45 and love it. It was "rough-tight" out of the box but is now very smooth after some TLC and shooting lots of matches with it, and it has been doggoned accurate since day one. The 9mm gun will let me have 10 rounds for the Single Stack division, even though two extra rounds isn't a fair trade when giving up major scoring. Two extra rounds, though, make a lot of the club matches and shoot-off events more fun to shoot, which is the main reason I usually use 10-round mags with the .45 RO. This puts me in the L10 division for USPSA, which is fine. I have enjoyed using my RO to beat guys with expensive Limited guns and many more rounds in their mags.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:49 AM

I have an EMP in 9mm. Very accurate and very nice IMHO
Old 01-17-2018, 03:05 PM

I looked at the Springfield and opted for Dan Wesson PM9 and have been pleased and never looked back.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wes View Post
I have an EMP in 9mm. Very accurate and very nice IMHO
I just recently found out my LGS now has an EMP rental. I've been trying to decide on a 9mm 1911 for a while and this will be a big help.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:49 PM

I have a couple thousand rounds through my SA EMP4 9mm. Great gun. Reliable and accurate.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:01 PM

SA Loaded...fun flawless shooter...

Smooth trigger...accurate too...
Old 01-18-2018, 05:50 AM

SGT
Mt recommendation would be if you can find a Combat operator in 9mm
go that direction PE9209L . The features are very good no mim , put together
in the custom shop . if you can find one they are priced around 1450.00
http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...11-loaded-9mm/

Good luck with whatever you choose .

Bill
Old 01-18-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt 7291 View Post
Have you tried putting focus on the firing pin safety plunger?

if this is a competition piece....polish and round the FP safety plunger head and address the actuator on the trigger bar.

if you do a search on the M4carbine forum, a 4 part series addressing glock trigger job is what I did. Incredible trigger also using a ZEV trigger bar housing that has an adjustable OT screw.

I rounded my FP safety head using a drill and a green scotchbrite pad. I am sure there is a reduction in safety head thickness, that why I said for play guns only. firing pin safety check has to pass the check or its junk. that why I say for play guns only.