Polymer 1911s - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-19-2016, 06:59 AM

Polymer 1911s

Rock River Arms, ATI and EAA are making or importing various models of 1911s based on polymer frames and I believe in at least one case, polymer slides. IIRC Kimber also makes or made one but don't know if it's currently available, may be others.

Wave of the future or massive fail in the making- or not even worth considering at any level?

Last edited by cobalt327; 01-19-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:54 AM

Location: Indiana, hope to retire to Alaska. My wife wants to retire to Belize.
Charles Daly used to import the BUL polymer 1911s from Israel. Then I think BUL brought some in under the IWI name ... but I'm not sure of that?

St Gabriel Possenti Patron Saint of Handgunners
Father John Corapi, "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!"
Old 01-19-2016, 10:56 AM

Not for me at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 02:35 PM

Here's an early BUL polymer frame (Springfield) I picked up to replace a cracked alloy frame.. Weighs the same as an alloy frame. Now, I have a "Frankengun".. Do a search for Polymer 1911 and read the history/use...

Old 01-19-2016, 02:46 PM

Looks sweet, was this an early double stack? What I was getting at was more toward the single stackers though, seeing as how the "2011" is fairly common.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Looks sweet, was this an early double stack? What I was getting at was more toward the single stackers though, seeing as how the "2011" is fairly common.

Yeah, it was on an early Para P13/P14 frame kit that I purchased used. (have no idea of its history other than it was evidently shot to death) Had ported barrel, and some other interesting work by unknown gunsmith.. After I got it, I too shot the heck out of it..... and finished it off.... When I found the crack, wanted to save it and found the Springfield frame at a reasonable price...
Old 01-19-2016, 04:30 PM
Banned

I don't see anything wrong with any pistol having a polymer frame - lots of 'em "out there" and ya simply don't hear any horror stories about 'em

glock is doin' pretty darned well with their .40cal, 10mm & .45acp pistols (and other folks too)

(I personally don't own a polymer framed 1911 but there's lots of pistols I don't own..)
Old 02-17-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskyecho View Post
I don't see anything wrong with any pistol having a polymer frame - lots of 'em "out there" and ya simply don't hear any horror stories about 'em

glock is doin' pretty darned well with their .40cal, 10mm & .45acp pistols (and other folks too)

(I personally don't own a polymer framed 1911 but there's lots of pistols I don't own..)
Have to concur, I've been shooting the stuffings out of my G20-SF,
even added a 9" Lone Wolf barrel for hog hunting...using Buffalo Bore ammo...
the extra FPS hasn't hurt a thing over the last few years.

However, don't think I'd want to use .45-Super or .460 Rowland on a poly 1911 frame...
Old 03-17-2016, 09:55 PM

I just picked up the EAA Witness Poly 1911 from buds for right at 400 bucks and it feels really good and its pretty light weight. The only down side is the grips and molded in to the frame so changing grips is not an option. I like the idea of the polymer frame on a 1911 but I don't like losing the ability to change the grips to something nicer.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:33 AM

I have the EAA Witness Poly 1911 in .45ACP as well. I like it. I have shot it quite a bit and it never had a problem. It has been super reliable so far. Anyway it has been working really well for me.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I have the EAA Witness Poly 1911 in .45ACP as well. I like it. I have shot it quite a bit and it never had a problem. It has been super reliable so far. Anyway it has been working really well for me.
Have you done a range report on your Witness Poly 1911 anywhere? I've been looking at one, and I'd love some data points and experience.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:55 PM

I love my ATI FXH-45. Both the ATI and EAA are at or less than $500 online.
ATI FXH-45 Hybrid 1911 Government
Operation Desert Shield/Storm
Old 11-15-2016, 06:33 AM

I just can't bring myself to buy and plastic, Don't even like plastic parts in some of the colts and higher end pistols. I guess it is all about manufacturing costs and trying to keep them low.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:49 PM

An option; neither wave nor fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Rock River Arms, ATI and EAA are making or importing various models of 1911s based on polymer frames and I believe in at least one case, polymer slides. IIRC Kimber also makes or made one but don't know if it's currently available, may be others.

Wave of the future or massive fail in the making- or not even worth considering at any level?
Bul, at any rate: not a fail at all. Bul makes a -very- nice double-stack, polymer-frame pistol with a 1911-style action. The 'double-stack' element gives up an advantage of the M1911 as a CCW: slenderness side-to-side. OTOH, polymer is easily shaped such that it doesn't scratch, scrape and claw its way through cotton fabric. Some of those you mention appear to be single-stacks.

The Kimber offering appears to have been a Bul made with a "Kimber" rollmark on the slide and logo on the frame. AFAICT, Kimber no longer shows one on their site. SA's offering, I'm told, was also mostly/partly a re-branded Bul.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:04 PM

I've put 4 or 500 rounds through my eaa. Accurate, very accurate, more accurate than i. No jams digests everything from ball to target loads. I replaced the slide spring plug cause it was so flimsy and the plastic mag catch with metal. Only one complaint. Its coyote ugly. I wanted a knock around 1911 and its perfect for that. 400 out the door
"It is very simple. The model 80 is complete and total garbage only good for melting down to make steel core bullets. The model 70 was handed down from God to JMB in a devine inspiration of gunmaking genius. So take your choice"